Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Same Sex Marriage may be 'Officially' legal in Canada by months end

Same Sex Marriage may be 'Officially' legal in Canada by months end (Page 2)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
No, I don't believe that for a moment. It's a FACT, the aggression towards religion is much greater around these parts.
ya well start a thread with "gay" in it and see how long it take the 3 Christians to pop in a derail it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 02:59 PM

Why should they? If YOU don't show respect for people's religious beliefs, why should THEY show respect for your sexual preference? Respect is a give and take kinda thing, no?
Huh?

I think of myself as a christian, so where does this BS come from?

Am I showing disrespect simply by posting about same sex marriage?

If you dont like it, don't ****ing post in my thread then.

Chris

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
ya well start a thread with "gay" in it and see how long it take the 3 Christians to pop in a derail it.
A lot longer than it would if the title had Christian, religion, God, or Jesus in it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Huh?

I think of myself as a christian, so where does this BS come from?

Am I showing disrespect simply by posting about same sex marriage?

If you dont like it, don't ****ing post in my thread then.

Chris
Then that does put you in a bad spot. Others on the Left have caused you some problems then. Probably wouldn't be nearly so bad if SWG, and others of his type, didn't have a bee in their asses over Christianity and religion.

I'm not saying you're "showing disrespect simply by posting about same sex marriage", I'm just explaining why the animosity is there.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 03:14 PM

Those for same sex marriage will have to take ownership. It just shouldn't be forced on the rest of us.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Those for same sex marriage will have to take ownership. It just shouldn't be forced on the rest of us.
How is anything forced on you on a matter that will not effect you?

What is the case right now is that YOUR view on a matter that does not effect you is being forced on us.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by koogz:
[terrorists]
Yet you just let them cross your border into the US, why would they hate you, they love you.
Actually, it was Canadian customs officials that let them into Canada. It was US customs officials that let the terrorists cross the Canada/US border into the US. We aren't responsible for who you let into your country.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Actually, it was Canadian customs officials that let them into Canada. It was US customs officials that let the terrorists cross the Canada/US border into the US. We aren't responsible for who you let into your country.
Well that and then teach them how to fly planes but not take off and land.

But that is a bit off topic.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

DBursey
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 03:26 PM

This just in:

PM to Introduce Gay Marriage Bill in January

The Liberal government will introduce legislation to legalize same-sex marriage when Parliament resumes sitting in January, Prime Minister Paul Martin said Thursday.

In an opinion released earlier in the day, nine Supreme Court judges asked to review draft legislation extending marriage rights to gays and lesbians said such a move would be constitutional.

That legal opinion clears the way for the Liberal government to introduce a bill early in the new year.
It's about time! Equality under the law is a beautiful thing!

It won't, at least not here in Canada. The legislation, as proposed, will allow the 'opting out' of any church or denomination which elects not to offer marriage rites to gays.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Well that and then teach them how to fly planes but not take off and land.

But that is a bit off topic.
I know it's off topic. It just annoys me that some Americans seem to think Canada has control over who can enter the US.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:

It won't, at least not here in Canada. The legislation, as proposed, will allow the 'opting out' of any church or denomination which elects not to offer marriage rites to gays.
Good. That takes care of most (but not all) of the problems with the entire issue.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
No one will ever force you to get married to a homosexual

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 03:42 PM

Good. That takes care of most (but not all) of the problems with the entire issue.
What are the other problems?

koogz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 04:18 PM

Same sex marriage is gay.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 06:22 PM

"I do not believe you can have two classes of citizens,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4082819.stm

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
dumb stuff
when the topic deals with gays, you can bet zim is here lol

go canada and congrat to all the people

btw use my smilie anytime

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:50 PM

Can you imagine a wedding cake with 2 dudes or 2 chicks on it ?

Now that is just dumb.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

Now that is just dumb.

ugh...honestly, enough of you.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:55 PM

Now that is just dumb.

Please, explain.

Chris

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:

And you can bet your booties there wont be that many churches that will turn it down.

why? mostly the $$$, but most churches also show the respect that seems to be lacking in todays youths and americans.

Chris

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

Please, explain.

Chris
There's nothing to explain really. If you mention wedding cake to most people (the overwhelming majority), they will picture a guy in a tux and a gal in a wedding gown, not two dudes in two tuxes or two chicks in wedding gowns.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
ugh...honestly, enough of you.
Bite me. . . .

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus

Now that is just dumb.

Yes I can imagine it. Why would it be dumb?

[edit]
There's nothing to explain really. If you mention wedding cake to most people (the overwhelming majority), they will picture a guy in a tux and a gal in a wedding gown, not two dudes in two tuxes or two chicks in wedding gowns.
And if you mention a marriage most people will picture a man and a woman. So what?

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster

I just want to say:

I find it amusing that both herterosexual people and the americans in this thread are just fuming over an issue that has nothing to do with their own country or sexuality.

Chris

MindFad
Posting Junkie

Bite me. . . .

omg gay

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 12:00 AM

I just want to say:

I find it amusing that both herterosexual people and the americans in this thread are just fuming over an issue that has nothing to do with their own country or sexuality.

Chris
Not me. I could care less if bestiality was legal and Canadians married their sheep.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:01 AM

Well then we'll just have to have a groom and a drag queen on the cake, now wont we?

Chris

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 10, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
omg gay
homophobe. . . . .

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:02 AM

Not me. I could care less if bestiality was legal and Canadians married their sheep.

That's entering legislation in 2006. Geez, dont get ahead of yourself.

Chris

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 12:04 AM

Obviously, the sex of the models on the wedding cake is an important factor in this issue.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 12:13 AM

How 'bout a mod clean this thread up please. **** I post a legitmate post and everyone thinks they can be jesters and derail it.

This is a BIG thing for us gay people here, have some ****ing respect.

Chris
How many threads about anything that Christians have posted here have been derailed by MacNN's gay members? Perhaps you should remember how this feels and be more willing to not do it to other people's posts. I remember my post about getting my PowerBook... I got flamed for no reason. This is the lounge.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 12:15 AM

And you can bet your booties there wont be that many churches that will turn it down.

why? mostly the $$$, but most churches also show the respect that seems to be lacking in todays youths and americans.

Chris
There I believe you're quite wrong. Many churches will turn it down, namely the Roman Catholics, most of the Orthodox, the Baptists, the Methodists, the Pentecostals, the Lutherans, etc.. Why? Because their ruling bodies won't compromise their traditions and views to make a buck or to comply with secular consensus. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's completely accepted, liked, or even recognized. That's just a fact.
- Thomas Paine

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 12:15 AM

Now that is just dumb.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
How many threads about anything that Christians have posted here have been derailed by MacNN's gay members? Perhaps you should remember how this feels and be more willing to not do it to other people's posts. I remember my post about getting my PowerBook... I got flamed for no reason. This is the lounge.
Try reading the whole thread before you respond.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Please, do show me where I have flamed christians for being christians.

I have said some are ignorant idiots, but thats about it.

This is most peoples problem, because of some loud mouth gays, you try to pin that on us all. It doesnt work that way. I know this for a fact because there really are some non judgemental christians out there who could really care less about this issue.

Chris

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:17 AM

There I believe you're quite wrong. Many churches will turn it down, namely the Roman Catholics, most of the Orthodox, the Baptists, the Methodists, the Pentecostals, the Lutherans, etc.. Why? Because their ruling bodies won't compromise their traditions and views to make a buck or to comply with secular consensus. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's completely accepted, liked, or even recognized. That's just a fact.

I believe you're wrong. They've already married gays before this legislation was even proposed last year. Try again.

Chris

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 12:22 AM

I'm an idiot.....

ReggieX

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 12:32 AM

I believe you're wrong. They've already married gays before this legislation was even proposed last year. Try again.

Chris
Nope. Some very liberal churches will, but not the ones I mentioned. Most will decline. That's just the way it is.
- Thomas Paine

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:36 AM

Nope. Some very liberal churches will, but not the ones I mentioned. Most will decline. That's just the way it is.
What part of they already have didnt you understand exactly?

Do I have to get links? *sigh*

Chris

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 12:36 AM

Canada is doing the sensible thing: treat all consenting adult citizens equally under the law, and let the faithful continue to do as they please. This should be an easy thing for Americans to grasp, but we're slow learners.

Of course, it's only a matter of time before Canada becomes a hedonistic cesspool and perhaps even a third-world country because 2% of the population wants to be able to have legally-recognized relationships with people of the same gender. Which, as someone else noted, is gay.

I would warn that widespread bestiality and incest are right around the corner, but since those practices are already common in Canada, there's no cause for alarm.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 12:40 AM

What part of they already have didnt you understand exactly?

Do I have to get links? *sigh*

Chris
You're just incorrect. As I said, some liberal churches will, most will not. *shrug* What do you care?
- Thomas Paine

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 12:42 AM

You're just incorrect. As I said, some liberal churches will, most will not. *shrug* What do you care?
I care because you're spreading nonsense.

If I do indeed marry my bf. I will prove this to you and I will get married at my old pentecostal church. I have no doubt they will do it.

Chris

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
but we're slow learners.
The only reason why we're slow learners is because our government is stuck in a Christian euphoria. The only reason we don't allow same-sex marriages is because homosexuality (in the New Testament) "is a sin." This the only reason being even remotely close to logical why we don't allow it.

I'm not gay, but I am all for equality.

SuperNova

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 12:49 AM

I care because you're spreading nonsense.

If I do indeed marry my bf. I will prove this to you and I will get married at my old pentecostal church. I have no doubt they will do it.

Chris
If they're actually Chruch of God, Ass'y of God, or Charismatic Evangelical, no they won't. Sure, you can get a liberal church to marry you. Hell, my Unitarian Univ. church would marry you two in a heartbeat, even here in East TN, but the Coptic church I also attend would decline you so fast it would make your head spin. It's about doctrine, and most will not compromise their traditions just to be trendy.

Again, what do you care?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Super Nova:
The only reason why we're slow learners is because our government is stuck in a Christian euphoria. The only reason we don't allow same-sex marriages is because homosexuality (in the New Testament) "is a sin." This the only reason being even remotely close to logical why we don't allow it.

I'm not gay, but I am all for equality.

SuperNova
The logical reason why they don't? Because the tradition of the church is that marriage is primarily for procreation. That's particularly difficult in a same sex marriage.
- Thomas Paine

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 12:58 AM

The logical reason why they don't? Because the tradition of the church is that marriage is primarily for procreation. That's particularly difficult in a same sex marriage.
Buddy, you're forgetting that we're supposed to separate church and state. By law

SuperNova

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2004, 01:03 AM

Buddy, you're forgetting that we're supposed to separate church and state. By law

SuperNova
And because of that seperation, you can't make the churches, or their members, like the idea of same sex marriage. The majority of Americans don't want to allow gays to marry, our gov't reflects that. That may change in the future, or it may not.
- Thomas Paine

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 01:05 AM

And because of that seperation, you can't make the churches, or their members, like the idea of same sex marriage. The majority of Americans don't want to allow gays to marry, our gov't reflects that. That may change in the future, or it may not.
And the great majority of americans are redneck hicks with no education. Take a truly civilized country such as Canada where most people live in metropolitan areas and do have an education, and look what happens, people gain the rights they should have had all along.

Chris

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 01:08 AM

If Americans are against giving gays equal rights, then they going against the number one principle this nation was founded on (in case you also forgot this one) every man is created equal. This goes for all races, religions, and sexual preferences. Just because you're different, doesn't mean you're inferior.

We can't make the churches, but making a law against same-sex marriages is bringing church and state together. And plus, what is the reason for most Americans not wanting to allow gays to marry?

SuperNova

koogz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 01:10 AM

If Americans are against giving gays equal rights, then they going against the number one principle this nation was founded on (in case you also forgot this one) every man is created equal. This goes for all races, religions, and sexual preferences. Just because you're different, doesn't mean you're inferior.

We can't make the churches, but making a law against same-sex marriages is bringing church and state together. And plus, what is the reason for most Americans not wanting to allow gays to marry?

SuperNova
Sorry, but our nation was not founded on equal rights for sexual preferences...

Does this mean that Oprah and Stedman can get married? Not to each other of course because they are both gay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules