Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > A few iPod questions

A few iPod questions
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 03:47 PM

I just got an iPod photo 40GB for Xmas and it's sweet, but I'm just wondering about a couple things...

Is the screen supposed to be so dark when not backlit? I mean it's barely readble even in bright light. It's perfect when backlit however.

And I just wondered if this was common:

Of course as soon as I turned it on I checked for dead pixels, there is this one pixel that looks a pinkish colour but only when viewed from a certain angle, other angles it looks fine, what could this be? Is it a stuck pixel? And I thought I had one fully dead one as there was a black pixel, but it seemed to remedy itself after a minute of the ipod being on, will that pixel keep causing me trouble? or was it just a one time fluke type thing? I have no experience with lcd's so this is new to me

Oh, and it's a beauty I LOVE the colour screen

Chris

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 04:44 PM

If the screen on an iPod photo is similar to the screen on a colour screen phone, PDA or Gameboy, then yes, it will be dark without the backlight. I've never heard of dead or stuck pixels on a small screen like this though.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2004, 10:40 PM

Try adjusting the contrast.....
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

michaelb
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 06:42 AM

The iPod photo has a transflective screen, which means it both reflects and allows light to pass through it. Unlike other iPods, it has no contrast setting.

Inside, you'll need the backlight on to see much. Outside in the bright sun though it will be readable without the backlight.

So, are you a sun worshipper or a geek vampire?

Forum Links
Forum Rules