Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple pushing for new Intel chips early.

Apple pushing for new Intel chips early.
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 04:32 PM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26433

Apple wants Intels newest chips to be used in their upcoming x86 macs. They want Merom (portable), and Woodcrest (workstation) chips, only problem is they aren't due out till at least 3rd quarter next year Will Intel ramp up production to suit Apples timeframe or will Apple have to ship their new products later than their previously mentioned timeframe of early 2006?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 04:36 PM

Apple has like 5% of the marketshare at MOST. Intel has much bigger customers to worry about than Apple.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Agasthya
Apple has like 5% of the marketshare at MOST. Intel has much bigger customers to worry about than Apple.
Exactly. This will probably push Apples timeframe back to late 2006 early 2007, unless they just settle with what Intel's offering right now. I don't see a problem with settling as OS X is blazing fast on even 3 year old Intel hardware, so current hardware will be just fine.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2005, 04:53 PM

Jeez, who says that this even true.

I'm not saying it isn't, but this could just be PC industry here-say.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 05:00 PM

They can still release Yonah based Macs in June, probably mini's and iBooks, those chips he wants early are probably for more powerful computers.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Jeez, who says that this even true.

I'm not saying it isn't, but this could just be PC industry here-say.
This is why forums exist, to discuss the news, hearsay, facts blah blah blah.

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 05:13 PM

Well don't discount the possibility that Otellini gave Jobs "first dibs" on the new chips and even perhaps on a different timetable. Remember that Jobs has seen the unofficial Intel roadmap, a map that the public doesn't get to see.

Dell may be one of Intel's biggest customers, but Apple/Jobs share a greater historical lineage with Intel. It's anecdotal evidence I know, but it's gotta be worth something.

No doubt that Intel offered Apple some serious incentives to prevent them from going with someone else.
F = ma

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2005, 05:44 PM

lol. your speculations make me laugh.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2005, 05:47 PM

Apple's made no official announcement as to which processors they'll be using, just that we need to "check Intel's roadmap" for ideas.

Technically, Apple has until the end of 2007 to switch their entire line. So they have some nice elbow room. They mentioned shipping Intel based Macs starting in June of 2006. I guess we'll see which (if any) of the Intel chips they decide to use.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

piot
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 06:35 PM

Mac minis and iBooks will be the first to go Intel. 25th April 2006 is the target date.
Piot

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
They can still release Yonah based Macs in June, probably mini's and iBooks, those chips he wants early are probably for more powerful computers.
Yonah is not 64 bit. Memrom is. It looks like Apple wants a 64 bit lineup.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 07:36 PM

If intel isn`t up to chip production, I can forsee Apple moving to a `ruffle` based chip production company, due to the high surface area and overall low cost of `ruffle` chips.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Yonah is not 64 bit. Memrom is. It looks like Apple wants a 64 bit lineup.
Yeah, but they haven't officially said that they'll be releasing a 64-bit laptop, so they have plenty of wiggle room to go with Yonah if need be. They'll still be able to move to an all 64-bit lineup once Merom is released, so there's no conflict there.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
If intel isn`t up to chip production, I can forsee Apple moving to a `ruffle` based chip production company, due to the high surface area and overall low cost of `ruffle` chips.
Are you referring to these?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Yeah, but they haven't officially said that they'll be releasing a 64-bit laptop, so they have plenty of wiggle room to go with Yonah if need be. They'll still be able to move to an all 64-bit lineup once Merom is released, so there's no conflict there.
Sure, but that would mean a second transition for Apple. One to Intel 32 bit. And a second to Intel 64 bit. I think Apple wants to avoid that.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2005, 09:46 PM

Why does an iBook or a Mac mini even need a cutting edge 64-bit processor? Stick a pentium M in both of them and they will still be light years ahead of the G4. Hell, you could probably put a celeron in the Mac mini and people will be pleased.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Why does an iBook or a Mac mini even need a cutting edge 64-bit processor? Stick a pentium M in both of them and they will still be light years ahead of the G4. Hell, you could probably put a celeron in the Mac mini and people will be pleased.
Because as I said there would have to be a second software transition. Drivers written for 32 bit Intel OS X will not work on 64 bit Intel OS X. Apple wants people compiling once for Intel

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2005, 10:29 PM

Think of the press Intel could get for bringing out these chips! They get zero press for supplying Dell and the others with run-of-the-mill chips, but brand-spankin'-new 64 bit chips for their new partnership with Apple? That's GREAT press!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Think of the press Intel could get for bringing out these chips! They get zero press for supplying Dell and the others with run-of-the-mill chips, but brand-spankin'-new 64 bit chips for their new partnership with Apple? That's GREAT press!
However it is not GREAT money.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 11:44 PM

It will be considering the Macintosh's market share is growing very quickly.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 02:57 AM

Yeah, Intel probably doesn't give a crap about a measly 5% of the entire desktop market. Apple's not HP or Dell, but they're not too far off from Lenovo/IBM (3rd largest desktop/hardware guys), and if the lead sales associate working with dell came back and said, oh yeah, and we're losing almost 25% of our Dell sales, someone is going to be pissed.

I think Dell would do quite a lot to bring in that new 5%. Especially with a brand that has so much buzz going around it right now.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Are you referring to these?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 05:17 AM

Exactly. And that will pay dividends for Intel.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 03:15 PM

Intel has scads of cash. Right now they are having more trouble with good press than anything else I'd say. They're getting sued by AMD, and lately they haven't done much great as far as processor speeds. However partnering with the maker of the iPod, the current press darling of the tech world (aside from Google) can not bring them any harm. Since this deal was announced I think a lot of people have had better feelings about Intel than they have had in a while.
Partnering with Apple just plain makes you look better these days.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Apple wants people compiling once for Intel
Developers are already compiling for Intel. And they are compiling for 32 bit.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Developers are already compiling for Intel. And they are compiling for 32 bit.
...and not EMT64, which is what Memrom is. Yes, Memrom will run IA32 code. But if Mac OS X is EMT64 it will only work with EMT64 drivers.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 04:31 PM

Yes, but Apple's now the 5th largest retailer of Intel based computers, and are only a few percentage behind IBM (or whoever sells their PCs now.) They sell more than Sony, Acer, or Micron.

I can easily see Apple move into the #3 spot taking some share from Dell and HP. Apple is a potential cash crop for Intel, I don't think they would want to piss off Apple. Perhaps they're just being realistic compared to Freescale and IBM.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2005, 04:34 PM

That is what I was thinking as well.

Big press being Apple's chip maker.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 04:35 PM

I can't wait till Apple is #4

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I can easily see Apple move into the #3 spot taking some share from Dell and HP. Apple is a potential cash crop for Intel, I don't think they would want to piss off Apple. Perhaps they're just being realistic compared to Freescale and IBM.
Why should Intel care? Dell can only sell computers with Intel chips, and HP sells mostly chips powered by Intel. Even if Apple takes marketshare from Dell and HP, it doesn't make a difference to Intel. Intel is still selling the same number of chips.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2005, 04:52 PM

Apple won't be buying Celerons though. Apple's comps'lll prolly be using more expensive procs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules