Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's getting a Gilette Fusion???

Who's getting a Gilette Fusion??? (Page 2)
alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 10:45 PM

Okay, this all seems quite strange to me. I use a Schick Xtreme 3 because the head doesn't pivot like the Mach 3. I hold the Mach 3 up to my face and the head just bends away from my skin.

I can't imagine what replacement blades cost for a 5 blade razor. Must be about the same price as an ink cartridge.

I almost always shave against the grain, otherwise it doesn't do anything and I look awful.

I've been tempted to try to find a single blade razor, just so I can get 100 blades for $5 at my local hardware store. I did buy a straight razor, but I can't shave worth $#%@ with that.

So what shaving cream brand is the best?

ambush  (op)
Banned
Feb 15, 2006, 10:47 PM

My Mach 3 Turbo or something (the green+battery version) irritates my skin

I think I'm going to buy a ****ing fusion one of these days... but it's freaking expensive with all the fecking blades :'(

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I don't think many of them do that daily.
Them?
me.
No.
I am just comparing it to u dudes.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2006, 12:11 AM

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 01:09 AM

Bought the Fusion on a whim at Safeway. Best shave ever.

I've been using a Mach 3 for the past couple of years, but just a month ago had switched to a Norelco rotary electric. The electric shaved closer, but left my face feeling like I'd just gotten teeth pulled.

Gimmick or not, I'm now a Fusion fan. Buying those replacement blades is teh suXXor, but you can't argue the results.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 02:45 AM

I use a Mach 3 turbo, but with the standard blades.
The turbo blades are great but last two weeks max, the standard blades stay sharp for ages.

I shave in the shower (my skin has improved so much since i started doing it).
I am now even more gorgeous.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I can't imagine what replacement blades cost for a 5 blade razor. Must be about the same price as an ink cartridge.
I think 4 of them is $12 which is nothing considering one lasts me at least a month.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:21 AM

There was a shaving thread here before where someone mentioned having your blades cryogenically frozen or something and it made the blades last a lot longer. Can you do that with Mach 3 or Fusion blades? I just switched to the Mach 3 from an electric razor several weeks ago because the electric was killing me and this thread has helped me relearn to use a blade so much. Thanks all!

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 16, 2006, 07:11 AM

Keep a glass of vodka, or rubbing alcohol on your sink. After every razor usage, put it in said cup. Your blades will last longer, and stay sharper.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Keep a glass of vodka, or rubbing alcohol on your sink. After every razor usage, put it in said cup. Your blades will last longer, and stay sharper.
Will this work with beer?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 08:50 AM

My Gf got me the Fusion for Valentines day. I've yet to try it out. I'll try it this morning though and report back. I've also been using the Mach 3 razor. Pretty good sahve with it but it doesn't seem close enought for me. I also have the same complaint that the blade moves away when trying to shave.

I've been shaving in the shower for a while now. I find it helps keep down the irritation.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I forget whether MythBusters took than on, and whether it got busted or not.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 09:20 AM

I work at Energizer/Schick so I am defiently for the Quattro. For all of you that bought the electric version of these razors - they do nothing for you. Schick had to sue the crap out of Gillette to make them stop advertising that it improves your shave, becasue there is no scientific proof that it does. We also came out with an electric version, but it wasn't touted becasue the only reason it came out was to answer Gillette's crap design.

Go Quattro!
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
For all of you that bought the electric version of these razors - they do nothing for you.
...sends an electronic pulse to the centre of the brain which destroys the part of the brain responsible for hair growth and four other non essential functions.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 11:32 AM

Used it and it like it better than my Quattro. A LOT smoother shave. Me likey.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 11:44 AM

If you guys really want to make your blades last longer, then get yourself a Blademaster!
I have one and it really works!!! No kidding - this thing is great!

without Blademaster (after several shavings)

with Blademaster

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Onion
Frak Everything, We're Doing Five Blades
By James M. Kilts
CEO and President,
The Gillette Company

Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the frakking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our c0<ks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, frak it. We're going to five blades.

Sure, we could go to four blades next, like the competition. That seems like the logical thing to do. After all, three worked out pretty well, and four is the next number after three. So let's play it safe. Let's make a thicker aloe strip and call it the Mach3SuperTurbo. Why innovate when we can follow? Oh, I know why: Because we're a business, that's why!

You think it's crazy? It is crazy. But I don't give a shiite. From now on, we're the ones who have the edge in the multi-blade game. Are they the best a man can get? Frak, no. Gillette is the best a man can get.

What part of this don't you understand? If two blades is good, and three blades is better, obviously five blades would make us the best frakking razor that ever existed. Comprende? We didn't claw our way to the top of the razor game by clinging to the two-blade industry standard. We got here by taking chances. Well, five blades is the biggest chance of all.

Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!
You're taking the "safety" part of "safety razor" too literally, grandma. Cut the strings and soar. Let's hit it. Let's roll. This is our chance to make razor history. Let's dream big. All you have to do is say that five blades can happen, and it will happen. If you aren't on board, then frak you. And if you're on the board, then frak you and your father. Hey, if I'm the only one who'll take risks, I'm sure as hell happy to hog all the glory when the five-blade razor becomes the shaving tool for the U.S. of "this is how we shave now" A.

People said we couldn't go to three. It'll cost a fortune to manufacture, they said. Well, we did it. Now some egghead in a lab is screaming "Five's crazy?" Well, perhaps he'd be more comfortable in the labs at Norelco, working on frakking electrics. Rotary blades, my white ass!
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we should just ride in Bic's wake and make pens. Ha! Not on your frakking life! The day I shadow a penny-ante outfit like Bic is the day I leave the razor game for good, and that won't happen until the day I die!

The market? Listen, we make the market. All we have to do is put her out there with a little jingle. It's as easy as, "Hey, shaving with anything less than five blades is like scraping your beard off with a dull hatchet." Or "You'll be so smooth, I could snort lines off of your chin." Try "Your neck is going to be so friggin' soft, someone's gonna walk up and tie a goddamn Cub Scout kerchief under it."

I know what you're thinking now: What'll people say? Mew mew mew. Oh, no, what will people say?! Grow the frak up. When you're on top, people talk. That's the price you pay for being on top. Which Gillette is, always has been, and forever shall be, Amen, five blades, sweet Jesus in heaven.

Stop. I just had a stroke of genius. Are you ready? Open your mouth, baby birds, cause Mama's about to drop you one sweet, fat nightcrawler. Here she comes: Put another aloe strip on that frakker, too. That's right. Five blades, two strips, and make the second one lather. You heard me—the second strip lathers. It's a whole new way to think about shaving. Don't question it. Don't say a word. Just key the music, and call the chorus girls, because we're on the edge—the razor's edge—and I feel like dancing.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by TurboMac
I work at Energizer/Schick so I am defiently for the Quattro. For all of you that bought the electric version of these razors - they do nothing for you.!
You would say that. I'm reasonably sensative to razor burn and have used both the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo. The Turbo has a much smoother shaving experience. I don't mean that it shaves you face smoother, but rather it's not as irritable. The reason is that the vibration helps provide a sideways cutting motion. So instead of just dragging a stationary blade across your hairs, the vibratory motion is helping to lesson the cutting resistance by doing a bit of the work for you. Maybe this isn't noticably for everyone, but it is for me. I have fairly heavy facial hair, and the Turbo was an improvement.

I hold the Mach 3 up to my face and the head just bends away from my skin.
You're using it wrong. This is one thing that Gillette doesn't advertise well, and I actually read it in the WSJ when the Mach 3 came out. With old standard pivot razors, you had to apply a decent amount of pressure to get the head just right. The Mach 3 (and Fusion) were designed to be used like a paintbrush. So you don't really want to put much pressure on the head. Instead, you stroke the razor like a brush. I hated my Mach 3 until I figured this out. It makes a big difference.

As for the Fusion, I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my Mach 3 Turbo. The only thing I'd like is that trimming blade on the back so I could get the hairs just under my nose.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2006, 11:25 PM

I have thick, heavy facial hair and very sensitive skin. I've tried electric and blade razors and they all destroy my face (especially neck and chin). I've resorted to using a beard trimmer without a guard on it... not exactly a close shave, but at least I still have skin.

I've not tried the 3+ blade razors, though. Might try a Fusion though based on what you've all said here. Any suggestion on good shaving cream??

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 02:05 AM

New for 2007: 25 blades!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Any suggestion on good shaving cream??
it doesn't have tons of perfume and has oatmeal in it which softens your skin.

You can get it at the drug store.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 10:05 AM

As far as shaving cream, I use this: good price and works great on my sensitive skin.

As far as the Fusion? I Love it! great smooth shave, much better than the mach 3 or turbo and very little irritation, I have chucked the Mach 3 and the fusion is here to stay, the only 2 complaints is the looks and size, it does look kind of cheese and it doesn't fit in my toothbrush holder like the Mach 3 did. Other than that I have used it 2 times now and its fantastic. Thanks for the recommendations, I laughed when I saw it and thought it was very gimmicky, but now I am a believer.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 10:36 AM

Day 2 with the Fusion, and I'll say thanks for the tip-off, too. My neck(the right side especially) is WAAAAAAAAY sensitive. I usually shave and then put some Cortizone 10 on my neck just to get some of the redness and irritation down -- but the Fusion, so far, has shaved my neck smoother and cleaner and with less irritation than anything else I've ever used.

As far as my cheeks go, it doesn't get everything, so I hit them with my rotary for a final polish -- but I'm sure if I shaved my cheeks against the grain, it'd get everything.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 17, 2006, 10:47 AM

Nice ad placement

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
As far as shaving cream, I use this: good price and works great on my sensitive skin.
Funny thing that stuff is the same as what I posted just different smell for the most part. They are owned by the same company.

I use both brands.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Funny thing that stuff is the same as what I posted just different smell for the most part. They are owned by the same company.

I use both brands.
Awesome, if it is the same then its great stuff.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the heads-up about shaving creams. I've been using the same can of the ol' barber shop red and white can stuff for years. Maybe it's time I got with the program, eh?

I'll check out the Aveeno stuff.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:16 PM

Awesome, if it is the same then its great stuff.
nest time the other one I posted, I find it to smell less and lathers up a bit smoother.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Thanks for the heads-up about shaving creams. I've been using the same can of the ol' barber shop red and white can stuff for years. Maybe it's time I got with the program, eh?

I'll check out the Aveeno stuff.
Yep big difference to me... the red/white can was like 79¢ at target so if it work for ya... ;-)

I will try the Aveeno next as well.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 02:25 PM

Yep big difference to me... the red/white can was like 79¢ at target so if it work for ya... ;-)

I will try the Aveeno next as well.
Aveeno as a dark blue bottle and a light blue one. The light blue one smells better, like vanilla. I think the dark blue one is the old product that it replaces.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:38 PM

Best thread ever!

Now if I can just figure out how to use the fusion, I'll try it. Gotta go get one.

By the way, how long are you guys using each blade? One person on here uses them for a month before throwing them away. I use mine about a week. I like a nice fresh blade - cuts a million times better.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 04:42 PM

Best thread ever!

Now if I can just figure out how to use the fusion, I'll try it. Gotta go get one.

By the way, how long are you guys using each blade? One person on here uses them for a month before throwing them away. I use mine about a week. I like a nice fresh blade - cuts a million times better.
i can use mine for over a month and it cuts fine.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 08:19 PM

Hmm, just picked up a fusion. It feels funny not pressing it hard against my skin, but it seemed to give me the best shave yet. I used it with the Aveeno shaving cream and it worked really well.

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 09:05 PM

I've just got one of these bad boys!

£200, but it's the best shave I've ever had!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2006, 11:20 PM

Target didn't have the Aveeno, so I got the Neutrogena. It worked alright, but the resulting foam seemed to dry really quickly, so I'll have to make sur emy face is really wet and keep the Fusion really wet, too. Other than that, I really like the gel.

Thanks again for the tip-off!

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 02:15 AM

Just got a Fusion for my birthday, tried it today. Best razor I've ever used. But then, that's not too many; just the different mach 3 versions and once a Schick (that thing was the worst razor ever, the hair got stuck in the blades and would not come out no matter what I did).

That is all.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 03:35 AM

I got the fusion yesterday. My face feels like a baby's ass.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 01:57 PM

This is the best way to shave, I have never had razor burn doing it this way.

1) Have a hot shower and soak your face
2) Get out of the shower and re-wet your beard area with warm water if you dried it already.
3) Apply good shaving creme
4) Run your razor under HOT water, it softens the blades and feels better on your skin.
5) ALWAYS SHAVE DOWNWARDS. Never ever up, sideways or following the jawline. You can run over the same area a few times to make sure it is smooth.
6 ) Rinse off all the shaving creme and apply some good skin creme. Ask the person behind the beauty counter at the drug store for after shave CREME for men. They have lots of good products from Vichy Homme. The Neutrogena cremes called Razor Defence are also good. Do not apply those smelly Old Spice aftershave lotions which are just alcohol and stink to everyone but you. Creme after is super important if you don't want bumps and irritation.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

I use a fog free mirror and shave while I am in the shower. My hair is longer, so shaving at the sink presents a challenge.....shaving cream does not work when it becomes hair cream.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Feb 19, 2006, 06:16 PM

Razor rivals resolve blade battle...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4723542.stm

Fekk me, I give up.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 19, 2006, 08:31 PM

I want one of these:

http://www.shavers.co.uk/shopping.php?product_id=453

I dont think are available in america though.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 09:43 PM

5) ALWAYS SHAVE DOWNWARDS. Never ever up, sideways or following the jawline. You can run over the same area a few times to make sure it is smooth.
I never get a close shave if I only shave with the grain. There is always stubble left behind, even if I go over the area a half dozen times with a new blade. The only way I can get a truly close shave is to go against the grain, upwards and along the jawline.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
I never get a close shave if I only shave with the grain. There is always stubble left behind, even if I go over the area a half dozen times with a new blade. The only way I can get a truly close shave is to go against the grain, upwards and along the jawline.
Is that something you have to do? Why does it have to be that close every day?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 11:31 PM

Is that something you have to do? Why does it have to be that close every day?
I thought getting a close shave was the whole point! Smooth > sandpaper.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
I thought getting a close shave was the whole point! Smooth > sandpaper.
Well there is LOOKING smooth and feeling it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ambush  (op)
Banned
Feb 20, 2006, 06:25 PM

Gillette, which makes the Mach3 range of shavers, argued that any razor head with three or more blades was covered by its patent.
this is why patents are gay

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 07:05 PM

I use an electric razor. So no plans to get a Gillette Fusion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Ditto!

OAW

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2006, 12:31 AM

OK, I tried the Fusion a couple days ago. Pretty good - most comfortable blade shave I've ever had... but my chin still got VERY irritated. Breaking out in little whitehead-like pimples. Happens whenever I have with a blade or a new blade on an electric (too close, I guess?).

Any suggestions? Aftershave? Cortisone?

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2006, 01:04 AM

I'm still using a Sensor 3. Been using it for a while. I gives me a close shave, and I'm not irriated. Works great.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules