Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing MBP Housing

Replacing MBP Housing
Shawn_230
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:21 AM

I realize this has been asked before and I searched but didn't really find the answer I wanted.

I somehow got a huge dent on the front of my laptop... right where the latch release button is for the display. It is huge... there is the dent itself, the area immediately to the left and right of it which now protrude quite a bit because of the dent and the damage that I did to the case trying to bend it back into shape. All in all I just can't stand to use it now because it makes me so angry to see how much damage I did to my MPB even though I try to handle it as gently as possible.

I looked and they sell the bottom of the case on iFixit and I'm fine with paying $250 for the parts and pay them to replace it... but they don't replace it and don't have a guide to DIY... and it's supposed to be super hard to replace.

Do I have any choices here? WIll Apple replace them and at what cost? I'm at a loss here and very angry at myself. My MBP also has the very wide gaps on either end of the screen when closed, it would be fantastic if somehow I could fix both problems, but that's definitely wishful thinking.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 04:35 AM

Here are a couple of places you might want to check...

POWERBOOK MEDIC - POWERBOOK PARTS, POWERBOOK REPAIR, IBOOK PARTS & MANUALS

PowerBook Parts, PowerBook Repair, PowerBook Upgrade, (G4 Aluminum, Titanium, G3 Pismo, Lombard and iBook)

The first one claims on their website that they do repairs, the second one you can call and ask them.

I'm going to replace the bottom on my PB 15", i dropped it off the bed while it was plugged in and it bent the adaptor, along with the case. I plan on doing it myself since it's my second computer.

Let me know what you find out with them.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the quick response and the links mate, I'll look into them.

How hard is the actually taking apart of the machine? I've not done it before but I'm pretty savvy with this stuff and have worked inside computers before, although just desktops.

And I'm guessing this voids my warranty?

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 04:52 AM

Definately voids the warranty.

As far as MBP are concerned i read it's easier to take apart a MacBookPro than a PowerBook.
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 08:41 PM

Does anyone have any experience doing this themselves?

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2006, 11:12 PM

i updated the harddrive myself....did i just void the warranty?
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 11:29 PM

yep

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
As far as i know, there are only 2 things you can DIY...Ram and Battery...anything else voids the warranty.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/hardware.html

I've done a hard drive upgrade on my PB, but that's because i had info on my failing HD that apple wouldn't recover for me...
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
Only if they can prove it wasn't done by a certified repair location.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn_230 View Post
sure do. i gutted both of my 15" 1.67 apb's to have the cases sent out, one for anodizing, and the other for a mold to make a Pre-preg carbon fiber case instead. The only advice i can give you is to take your sweet time, allocate a whole day or two. and make sure you organize all of the screws, take digi pics along the way if you have to, so you have something to reference to when your putting it all back together. I dont know how hard it is on the mbp line to take them apart, but if the statement about them being easier then the apb line, then your in for a cake walk, cuz it took me about 1.5 hours each to completely take apart the powerbooks.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Only if they can prove it wasn't done by a certified repair location.
Go ahead and take it in for warranty work...remember you have to prove it was done by a certified repair location, not that they have to prove it was done by you...
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2006, 10:55 PM

I just replaced the bottom case of my PB 15", took me most of the day.

Something i did was take a pic of the bottom and sides of my case, print out a pic and double sticky tape where the screws were on the pic, as i pulled out each screw i put them on the pic.

This was repeated when i got to the guts, time consuming, but worth it. I also invested in a powermedic take down manual.
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

Shawn_230  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 11:03 PM

So where did you get your housing and how is the quality?

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

I've replaced the HD in my MPB and the trackpad. Since then I have sent it twice for a repair and no one has said anything ...

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2006, 03:27 PM

It's a tough decision Shawn_230; DIY or Certified Repair Centre?!

I've just installed a new HD in my G4 Powerbook, having trawled the net for advice and tips. The ifixit guide was invaluable, especially the screw guide. As you say, ifixit don't have a guide for changing the bottom case, but maybe you can still use their guide for installing a logic board; if you can get that far, you're practically there! For the rest, you'll need to document each step carefully, and clearly as others have said before. Making your own 'screw guide' will save you a lot of time, when you reassemble. I used double-sided sticky tape to hold the screws to the guide.

People say changing the HD drive of a Powerbook is very difficult. Not to boast, but I found it pretty straightforward (with the guide). It took me about an hour in total. Having small hands helps perhaps, but I also found a pair of pointed pliers very handy for detaching the connectors, which was the trickiest part.

Bottom line is, if you don't mind spending the extra money, take it to a certified repair centre. If not, and you're not too confident, maybe ask a friend who's taken apart (and put back!) a laptop, to help.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 09:11 PM

So where did you get your housing and how is the quality?
The parts are all OEM from apple...

2 places i get parts from are...

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/catalog/

http://www.pbparts.com/

This place is helpful too...

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/customer/home.php
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

tomato71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 06:57 PM

Anyone know how difficult it would be to replace the screen housing on a 12" alu pb G4? I'm way out of warranty and wonder if this is doable by oneself.

Second, are these guys reliable?

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by tomato71 View Post
Anyone know how difficult it would be to replace the screen housing on a 12" alu pb G4? I'm way out of warranty and wonder if this is doable by oneself.

Second, are these guys reliable?
I believe you can do it all yourself with the right tools and guides. Check out iFixIt to see what's involved in doing a screen housing replacement.

PowerBookMedic is reliable, i've ordered parts from them and haven't had any problems.
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

Forum Links
Forum Rules