Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > need art advice! help?!

need art advice! help?!
idyll
Senior User
Jun 10, 2007, 12:05 AM

this is a long shot and i'll probably get laughed at but whatever. here's the deal:

my uncle does art as a hobby. typical florida art (he does live in florida afterall).

he was laid off this month along with many other people and needs some extra money to be able to pay for his rent. his art is one of the last things he's got, but it's better than living under a bridge.

he's tried every gallery here but they are all packed and it takes a looong time for them to sell anything, and even then they keep more than 60% for themselves.

his time is running out and he needs to sell his stuff quick. i've sold two of his original paintings framed and all on ebay for $100 each. kind of sad considering the framing alone cost a nice $50 or so.

my question is: do any of you know where he could sell his original paintings? any other online auction sites like eBay but for art only? suggestions?

some of his work:

(this is the one I sold on eBay)

this is what he is looking to sell right now:

original, acrylic.. he has birds visit his backyard where he feeds them pretty much daily.. he sits and paints right in front of them. the real feathers there on top of the paintings are from the exact birds in the paintings.

yeah, typical florida art, but hey..

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 12:09 AM

unfortutenly I have no real suggestions, but he does paint some sweet stuff.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 06:17 AM

1. I don't think he should bother with frames.
2. Phone some restaurants and hotels, they might be interested.
4. Put up a sign/stall by the highway, sell to tourists?

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 07:33 AM

What part of FLorida is he in? I am originally from Naples and this type of work sells well there. It is a rich retiree area. The ultimate piece of advice is, go where the money is. In terms of pricing, the general rule is to decide how much money you need from a sale of work. Then add the gallery commission and the framing cost to that. The gallery should help with this, as they will know what things will sell for in the area. Also in touristy places like Naples, he could find out about painting in public where people can watch. That will often generate sales. But be sure to check laws first.
Sam

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
1. I don't think he should bother with frames.
2. Phone some restaurants and hotels, they might be interested.
4. Put up a sign/stall by the highway, sell to tourists?
A good idea is to offer some with frames and some without, that way people have a choice, and if one cinsistently salle better adjust accordingly.

The hotel idea is very good, but keep in mind that larger companies will often have a single person who buys the decor. Finding them might be tough.

Sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules