Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with display preferences

Problem with display preferences
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 07:37 PM

I have two monitors. Just recently my main one is way too bright. When I go to Preferences>Displays>Color I find a whole bunch of weird profiles, and clicking on any of them changes nothing, nor can I delete them. I can go through calibration,, but it does not stick, it is as if this function is frozen. The second monitor is fine. Here are few of the weirder profiles:

NTSC (1953), PAL/SECAM, SMPTE-C, CIE RGB, Adobe RGB (1998).

I have upgraded from InDesign 2 to CSS3, saying that because of the Adobe profile. Restarting of no help. Running 10.4.9

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 07:46 PM

Your main display is not being recognized properly. What kind of display is it (CRT or LCD) and how it is connected (DVI, VGA, DVI to VGA adapter, etc.)? Those a generic profiles, Adobe RGB is not related to CSS3. When you go into the system profile what display does the computer believe to be connected?
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 08:52 PM

Hi Tinkered, thank you for replying! LCD, DVI to VGA. Here is the System Profiler output:

Acer AL2416W:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 16-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

Tinkered, your suggestion led me to disconnect monitor, turn it off, then turned it on and reconnected. I can now change some profiles and eliminate the glare. I still have those weird profiles that do nothing and just appeared out of nowhere some weeks ago, a mystery. The system profiler output is the same. Many thanks for relieving my eyes!!. Now if I could only delete the 20 so extra profiles...
( Last edited by jmiddel; Jun 18, 2008 at 09:22 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules