Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Harrowing Lost iPhone Tale

Harrowing Lost iPhone Tale
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 06:33 PM

So, this past Saturday was the St. Patrick's Day Parade in downtown Pittsburgh. I started boozing at around 9:30am. Got downtown at around 11, started trading shots with the people I was with. Memory starts getting hazy at around 5 or 6.

My friend was carrying around a football which we were tossing to people who wanted a pass. We tossed it to one kid who invited us in to play beer pong. We go in and we run the table and between us we had almost a full 30-rack. This is when I blacked out. I wake up at 1am in my friend's cousin's apartment and am just like "Where the heck am I?" After being awake for a few seconds I realize I am not wearing my fleece, which held my iPhone. ****. I drunkenly start searching around the apartment for it but to no avail. My friend's girlfriend comes to pick us up. I had been at Primanti's earlier so I ask her to stop there so I can check. It's not there. She takes me home and I pass out feeling dejected.

I wake up the next day and have to go back to college (I was on spring break). I tell my parents I lost my phone and they are just like "Sucks. Guess you're gonna have to save up to get another one." Crud.

So I go back to school and on Monday my roommate gets a text from a mutual high school friend. As it turns out, when we went into the apartment to play pong, I took my fleece off and drunkenly left it there. The person who lives there started cleaning up his apartment on Monday and found my phone and fleece. I had a passcode lock on it so he could not access the phone. He plugs it into his computer and sees "Jake's iPhone". He then sees that I have missed calls from my high school friend, so he looks him up on Facebook and messages him to see if he knows a Jake who lost a phone. High school friend texts my roommate (since I don't have a phone) and BOOM I get my iPhone back.

I am so happy that I do not have to pay $400 to get a new one because I am dirt poor. It also warms my insides that there are still good people in this world. This kid could have easily wiped the phone and sold it or used it for himself. Instead he looks up the name of a missed call to return it. Needless to say, he got a small reward for his virtuous deed.

I will definitely be installing some sort of "find my iPhone" app. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 19, 2009, 07:01 PM

I returned a woman's wallet I found yesterday that had a few hundred dollars in it. She was shocked and walked away without saying anything. When she got about 10 feet away she turned around and ran towards me and nearly tackled me with a hug. She told me she would probably have been booted out of her apartment if she had lost that money.

EDIT: VERY glad for you that you got your phone back.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 07:05 PM

2 summers ago I had just gotten paid after a job so I had ~$500 in my wallet and at least one of each denomination of bill ($1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100). I went out to lunch but had forgotten my phone inside so put my wallet on the car roof, ran inside to get the phone and hopped in the car and drove off.

I forgot my wallet was on the car roof and it fell off. 1.5 hours later I am searching the streets trying to find the wallet. I found a few $20s floating in the wind but not my wallet. So I lost about $500.

About a month later I get a package in the mail. It is my wallet with all my cards, however there is no cash. I guess this person found my wallet, took all the cash and tossed the wallet into a mailbox where it subsequently found it's way back to me.

I wish that person had been as nice as you and not taken all my money.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 19, 2009 at 07:30 PM. )

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 07:23 PM

abbaZaba: don't assume that they took your money.
I found a wallet in chicago once that was either lost or stolen and had all the cards and drivers license in it, but no cash. I returned the wallet with a note specifically saying I found it with no cash in it.

you also got me thinking since I also have a passcode on my iphone and this prevents people from finding my in case of emergency contact.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
you also got me thinking since I also have a passcode on my iphone and this prevents people from finding my in case of emergency contact.
yeah I know. when I was trying to locate it I realized that there was no way to for anyone to know whose phone it was. I still think installing a GPS locator on it would be wise. I read about an app called Navizon where you can text your phone and it will text you back its coordinates.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I will definitely be installing some sort of "find my iPhone" app. Do you guys have any suggestions?
iPhone 3.0 + MobileMe

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 08:18 PM

yeah well as I mentioned in my first post I don't have a ton of disposable income so I doubt I'll be dropping $100 on MobileMe. Navizon is free.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 08:42 PM

yeah I know. when I was trying to locate it I realized that there was no way to for anyone to know whose phone it was. I still think installing a GPS locator on it would be wise. I read about an app called Navizon where you can text your phone and it will text you back its coordinates.
That only works with Jailbroken iPhones though as there's no background processing otherwise.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 11:10 PM

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Honestly? My suggestion would be to have some self-control when it comes to the consumption of alcohol. Getting so drunk that you black out or have spans of "haziness" or "I don't have any idea what I did between 5 and 8 AM" is incredibly irresponsible, stupid, and immature.

A hell of a lot more could have happened to you besides your iPhone going missing for a few days.

I hate to sound like a PSA, but if you're going to drink, for the love of God please do it safely and responsibly.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 11:15 PM

^ Oh, get over yourself. Accidents happen, so please stop being holier than thou.

OP: Download and install an application called 'Lost Phone'. Solves the contact details problem.

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Honestly? My suggestion would be to have some self-control when it comes to the consumption of alcohol. Getting so drunk that you black out or have spans of "haziness" or "I don't have any idea what I did between 5 and 8 AM" is incredibly irresponsible, stupid, and immature.

A hell of a lot more could have happened to you besides your iPhone going missing for a few days.

I hate to sound like a PSA, but if you're going to drink, for the love of God please do it safely and responsibly.
You know, I never even thought of that! Hey maybe the reason I lost it is because I was really drunk! I didn't even think of that! from now I will be more responsible! I didn't realize you had a handle on MacNN Mom! Oh you are a crafty one...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
^ Oh, get over yourself. Accidents happen, so please stop being holier than thou.

OP: Download and install an application called 'Lost Phone'. Solves the contact details problem.
Did you miss the thread about my neighbor being mothertrucking brain dead because he was an idiot, drank too much, and got behind the wheel of his car?

It is a serious thing. Drinking to the point of blacking out and having big blank spots in your memory of the night's events is not an accident, and it's incredibly irresponsible to behave in such a manner. He should be thankful that his wallet wasn't stolen. As a male, it's unlikely that he'd be taken advantage of sexually by a female in his drunk stupor, but the same general idea applies. When you're so effing lit that you can't even stay conscious, that's a problem. Not to mention that you're getting dangerously close to alcohol poisoning territory.

I'm no stranger to hooch. I enjoy getting blitzed now and again, but I'm well aware of the responsibilities that come with getting lit. Getting to the point where you're passed out due to the quantity of alcohol you've consumed is completely asinine, and frankly, the OP deserved to lose his iPhone if he's going to choose to behave in such an irresponsible manner.

Fact is, if he hadn't been falling over, passed out drunk, the odds would have been much lower that he would have forgotten his jacket and his iPhone.

Getting buzzed or drunk is not equal to being so blasted that you can't function on a basic human level. It's the same idea behind having unprotected sex. Irresponsible behavior gets no pity from me when there are negative consequences.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Mar 20, 2009 at 01:03 AM. )

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 01:06 AM

I was functioning on a basic human level. In fact I was rocking at a game that involves a good amount of hand eye coordination. Neither was I falling over. and NEITHER WAS I DRIVING.

I thought you said you only had ONE PSA for this year? you used it up. move on.

Rumor
Mar 20, 2009, 01:12 AM

Or If Found.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 01:13 AM

You admitted to being so drunk that you passed out and woke up some undisclosed time later in someone else's apartment. This is not responsible drinking behavior.

Do you want an award for getting unbelievably lit and still being able to play beer pong?

I'm not going to argue this point with you. Just do yourself (and your iPhone) a favor and drink responsibly. You don't have to be smashed to have a good time.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2009, 01:42 AM

I accidently left my laundry basket in the laundry room once. Someone stole it and I never got it back.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
You admitted to being so drunk that you passed out and woke up some undisclosed time later in someone else's apartment. This is not responsible drinking behavior.

Do you want an award for getting unbelievably lit and still being able to play beer pong?

I'm not going to argue this point with you. Just do yourself (and your iPhone) a favor and drink responsibly. You don't have to be smashed to have a good time.
Would you like an award for being a judgmental, holier than thou, prig? If you ever have kids you can bestow all your wisdom upon them.

It was the background to the story. I really truly hope you don't think I was bragging about the amount of alcohol I drank otherwise that would make you simpler than you come across. It's neat that your neighbor's plight has obviously had an affect on your attitude but please, you are not Mother Teresa.

Now, stick to your word and do not argue this point with me in this thread anymore.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 02:22 AM

another good thread ruined. thanks mam

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 05:22 AM

Or make yourself a wallpaper for the lock screen with a contact number on it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Or make yourself a wallpaper for the lock screen with a contact number on it.
Winner.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 06:26 AM

That's totally harrowing, man.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 08:33 AM

i've blacked out more times than i'd like to admit. i have NEVER lost a cell phone. y'all are amateurs.

and i've always just assumed that if i'd lost a wallet i should be happy to get my cards and stuff back. any cash goes to the person that found it or whatever. that's just retard tax.

andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2009, 10:50 AM

My wallet was lost/stolen last month. Never found, with or without cash. Cancelling all my cards was fun. Not.

glad you got your phone back, it is nice that a) someone was honest, and b) the internet was used for good. Facebook FTW!

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 11:00 AM

I once lost my backpack with about 300 dollars in deposit money for work in it on the bus. Someone found it and gave it to the bus driver, I ended up calling transit and they arranged to have me pick it up when the driver was next in my area. I was soo relieved.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 11:16 AM

Doof lost a plectrum once.

mattsliva
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2009, 01:30 PM

Would you like an award for being a judgmental, holier than thou, prig? If you ever have kids you can bestow all your wisdom upon them.

It was the background to the story. I really truly hope you don't think I was bragging about the amount of alcohol I drank otherwise that would make you simpler than you come across. It's neat that your neighbor's plight has obviously had an affect on your attitude but please, you are not Mother Teresa.

Now, stick to your word and do not argue this point with me in this thread anymore.
The thread quickly went from having a little sympathy for you to none at all. Stay in school, don't drink so much, get a good job, call back when your brain fully develops and begins to understand responsibility, personal or otherwise.

Kudos to the guy who found it and had the sense of responsibility to return it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 01:33 PM

One time I accidentally backed into some lady's car, it was just a small dent with no damage to my pickup. It was a small parking lot and I was the only one outside. I could have just left. Instead, I wrote down her license plate, went to the apartment office, found her apartment number, and visited the lady. Offered to exchange my insurance and everything. She shoved me aside, ran down the stairs, then started yelling at me that she had to go the airport tomorrow and that she had this big trip. I told her that it's just a small dent, it's not going to stop her from going to the airport and going on a trip. She started yelling at me about other crap for an hour before we finally exchanged information.

The next day (Sunday) she called me and told me that I better call my insurance agent or she was going to sue me. I told her I tried calling, but the office was closed on Sunday. I was going to do it first thing Monday morning. So Monday morning I went to the office, did the stuff, and their insurance called her insurance, and everything was settled. 2 days later the lady calls me again telling me she just talked to her lawyer and she's going to sue me for not having insurance. I told her that I already visited the insurance company, they contacted her insurance company, and everything has already been processed. She then started yelling at me about not calling her and telling her that I had done it.

It was about at that point I told the b**ch to piss off. Explained to her in a non-too-polite manner that I could have just left without telling her.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cold Warrior
Mar 20, 2009, 01:36 PM

I misplaced my mastercard the other day but quickly found it in a front shirt pocket from a shirt I'd worn several days earlier.

also the wallpaper with contact # is a good idea. On all my memory sticks I keep a txt file with contact information.

Rumor
Mar 20, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
One time I accidentally backed into some lady's car, it was just a small dent with no damage to my pickup. It was a small parking lot and I was the only one outside. I could have just left. Instead, I wrote down her license plate, went to the apartment office, found her apartment number, and visited the lady. Offered to exchange my insurance and everything. She shoved me aside, ran down the stairs, then started yelling at me that she had to go the airport tomorrow and that she had this big trip. I told her that it's just a small dent, it's not going to stop her from going to the airport and going on a trip. She started yelling at me about other crap for an hour before we finally exchanged information.

The next day (Sunday) she called me and told me that I better call my insurance agent or she was going to sue me. I told her I tried calling, but the office was closed on Sunday. I was going to do it first thing Monday morning. So Monday morning I went to the office, did the stuff, and their insurance called her insurance, and everything was settled. 2 days later the lady calls me again telling me she just talked to her lawyer and she's going to sue me for not having insurance. I told her that I already visited the insurance company, they contacted her insurance company, and everything has already been processed. She then started yelling at me about not calling her and telling her that I had done it.

It was about at that point I told the b**ch to piss off. Explained to her in a non-too-polite manner that I could have just left without telling her.
Some people just are not happy people.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I misplaced my mastercard the other day but quickly found it in a front shirt pocket from a shirt I'd worn several days earlier.
See, now that's harrowing.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 04:39 PM

I like the idea of putting a phone number on the lock screen. The one issue is that it doesn't solve the entire purpose of me having a contact called in case of emergency. I not only have a few numbers there, but in the notes I mention drug allergies, etc.

I used to think that it would be nice to let the person make the call from my lost phone so it doesn't cost them anything, but in this day I don't think anyone cares about a few minutes of air time. Not the people that would be returning a phone anyway.

Do any of you have your phone set to delete itself after 10 failed login attempts?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 05:37 PM

ATTENTION:
University students drink. A lot. They may also smoke weed.

That is all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I "lost" an Accord, but it was getting pretty old so it didn't bother me. I couldn't remember if I'd let someone borrow it or not, I just noticed it was missing one day. Turns out that it had been nabbed by a friend because his truck had died. I told him to keep it and pass it on once his truck was fixed.

He actually did, which surprised me a little.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 06:13 PM

funny enough.

I was leaving the bank today and noticed a wallet on the ground. Opened it up, and it was the bank employee I had just spoken with. I go back inside, and give it to him, and he tells me to wait a minute. He comes back and hands me a $20.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Do any of you have your phone set to delete itself after 10 failed login attempts?
Hmm. When you set it to delete itself after 10 failed login attempts it will allow you to use the device, right? So basically you are encouraging whoever finds the device to keep it. Or am I mistaken?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 20, 2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Hmm. When you set it to delete itself after 10 failed login attempts it will allow you to use the device, right? So basically you are encouraging whoever finds the device to keep it. Or am I mistaken?
Nope, deletes the info and remains locked.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 12:41 AM

A couple of years ago my wife and I did some black friday shopping early in the morning (5am), and when we got to our car, we stuck the baby in his car seat, and then left without remembering to get everything else out of the cart. We remembered about halfway out of the parking lot, and turned back to get it, but someone had already stolen everything. That sucked. We're better at remembering now.

On topic: I use the free "If Found" iphone app...it makes a background like others have mentioned with my phone number. I also have it inscribed on the back of the iPod.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 01:14 AM

You lost the dimple under your nose?

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009, 01:40 AM

This thread inspired me to put some kind of contact info on my iPod Touch.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Nope, deletes the info and remains locked.
Thanks. I activated it. I wouldn't want people to have access to my email accounts .

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
This thread inspired me to put some kind of contact info on my iPod Touch.
I'd have gone something like:

If found, please call:
<number>
$20 reward.

The $20 is your idiot tax for losing it in the first place. Most nice folks wouldn't accept the reward anyway, so no loss.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2009, 11:34 AM

Would it be wise to also put my name?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattsliva View Post
The thread quickly went from having a little sympathy for you to none at all. Stay in school, don't drink so much, get a good job, call back when your brain fully develops and begins to understand responsibility, personal or otherwise.

Kudos to the guy who found it and had the sense of responsibility to return it.
What do his drinking habits even have to do with anything in this thread? They’re completely irrelevant, at least to me. (I also think they were irrelevant in the OP, but that’s the OP’s fault, not yours)

Have you never lost anything like your phone by forgetting it somewhere? I know I have.

I forgot my earphones in a couch downstairs only two days ago, in fact. I got them back, but only because I was lucky. I also left a camera on a train coming back from Hong Kong once (to Beijing), and didn’t realise it till three days later. Again, I was super-lucky and got it back, but if I hadn’t, it would have been completely my own fault.

Should I also “stay in school, don't drink so much, get a good job”? Would that solve anything? Not really.

Stay in school? Yeah, I spend about 50–60 hours at school, working, per week.
Don’t drink so much? I’ve never been drunk or had any kind of alcohol exceeding one or two sips in my life.
Get a good job? I have a very good job that makes me about $80,000 a year, thank you very much.
Responsibility? I consider myself fairly responsible, in general. As a random example, I’m the chairman of both the residents’ committee and the board of directors where I live.

Does any of this help me in the least bit to avoid leaving things behind? No. Not a bit.

The holier-than-thou, knee-jerk reaction to blame it on the OP’s excessive drinking (which is based on him telling you of how he spent St. Patrick’s Day, not based on any knowledge of his drinking habits in general) and general lackadaisical attitude towards school and responsibility is, in a word, rubbish.

abbaZaba: Glad you got your phone back. Did it never occur to you to just call it, though? It sounds like you ran around trying to find it for ages, but never tried borrowing someone else’s phone to just call yourself and see if someone picked up …

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
abbaZaba: Glad you got your phone back. Did it never occur to you to just call it, though? It sounds like you ran around trying to find it for ages, but never tried borrowing someone else’s phone to just call yourself and see if someone picked up …
Yep. I called it about 5 times from my home phone and I had my friend's calling it too. I even had someone call it whose number I did not have in hopes that if a phone number that was not in my phone book showed up, it would cause the person to pick up. Because the passcode lock was on the only way for the good samaritan to find someone I knew was to see the missed calls or text message popup. Luckily this person saw a text message from a friend and looked him up on Facebook.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Once I thought I'd lost my wallet. I'd been visiting it at the circus, and I knew I had it when going in because I thought they'd want my student ID (I was with my family so they paid). It was gone when I came out. I thought it'd been lifted, and immediately panicked and cancelled my cards.

When I got home, it was there. When I checked before going in, I must have been mistaken. That was annoying, having to wait for new cards. Still, I was mainly glad it hadn't been half-inched.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2009, 09:14 PM

you were visiting your wallet at the circus?

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
you were visiting your wallet at the circus?
Erm... I have no idea why I wrote that

I think I just meant to say "I'd been visiting the circus".

Maybe I should stop posting while tired. Then again, why break the habit of a lifetime?
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2009, 12:28 AM

Classic.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2009, 07:38 AM

I'd have gone something like:

If found, please call:
<number>
$20 reward.

The $20 is your idiot tax for losing it in the first place. Most nice folks wouldn't accept the reward anyway, so no loss.
it's an iPhone. It'll cost you, what, $800 to replace? Should I ever lose mine, the reward to return it is $200. Makes it meaningful and gives a real incentive.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2009, 10:16 PM

$800? I think someone played you a fool when you bought yours.

Forum Links
Forum Rules