Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVI to Component or DVI to VGA

DVI to Component or DVI to VGA
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 04:01 PM

so I have an older model HDTV that only has one HDMI input that is used for the Cable. I want to be able to connect my mac mini to the TV but I don't want to keep swapping the one HDMI cable. The TV has a Component input and a VGA input.

What would be best? to go from DVI->Component or DVI->VGA? my personal opinion would be DVI->VGA but I have really don't have much expertise in this area. Any insight would be appreciated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2010, 05:52 PM

Component and VGA are the same signaling with different connectors. You can get the DVI-VGA pin adapter from Apple for $19 which tells the video card to output VGA instead of DVI. From there you can get a VGA cable for a few bucks.

An alternative that I'd recommend is an HDMI switch. Total price will be a few dollars higher, but the picture should look much better (particularly at high resolutions) since it avoids the analog conversion. And they usually support 4 or 5 inputs so you can add an tv, Blu-ray player, etc later.

Cheap route: 2 input HDMI manual switch for $16
A bit better: 4 input HDMI switch with remote for $30 (or 5 input for $34)

For either you need a $4 DVI-HDMI cable from the mini to the switch and a $4 HDMI-HDMI cable from the switch to the TV.
( Last edited by mduell; Apr 9, 2010 at 07:40 PM. )

dedalus
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2010, 05:57 PM

The Internet appears to say that VGA ought to be better, but, personally, I would rather invest in an HDMI switch, they seem to come cheap enough. (Bear in mind that this is pure theory on my part, I don’t have an HDTV.)

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the recommendation for the HDMI switch. I've never heard of them but it seems like a viable option

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2010, 03:11 PM

I'd go with the HDMI switch, but if you also can use the component or VGA cable for other applications, you may wish to choose the other solution.

As for quality, they are all about the same (VGA vs. component). You won't see it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules