Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > elder scrolls oblivion???

elder scrolls oblivion???
pitseleh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 10:51 PM

does anyone have experience playing oblivion (through boot camp) on a macbook pro? i just ordered the 2.2GHz version, so do you guys think oblivion will run well?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 11:59 PM

It runs quite playably well on mine (2.33 ghz c2d MB Pro, 2 GB RAM, 256MB ATI 1600), so it should run fine for you. The game has lots of graphic detail options, so you'll have no problem finding a balance between eye candy and playability.

pitseleh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 12:04 AM

thanks a lot!
what do you think of oblivion?

P
Jun 14, 2007, 08:41 AM

Personally, I think that Oblivion rocks. On my 7950GT, the game runs flawlessly at 1360*768 with all the goodies turned on and even anistropic filtering (through the driver, you can't enable it in Oblivion itself). As Briareus said, you can set every conceivable option to reach a good balance between quality and performance, and there are mods that will increase outdoor speed (in particular) if you need even more.

pitseleh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 11:20 AM

i have read in a few different places that oblivion sometimes does nto work with windows vista, so should i use xp or vista in bootcamp? my whole reason for using bootcamp is basically to play this game, and xp and vista home basic cost the same

any suggestions?

P
Jun 14, 2007, 03:09 PM

XP. Vista is a hog that eats game framerates, and nVidia's drivers for it are still lousy.

pitseleh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 11:25 PM

sorry for all these questions

do you think i should get a separate keyboard to play games instead of using the mbp keyboard? i'm getting a logitec vx revolution mouse with 3 or so extra buttons and a zoom in/out control (which could be used for scrolling through weapons or something?). with these mouse buttons would i need a separate keyboard w/ a numberpad?

P
Jun 15, 2007, 04:05 AM

Not for Oblivion. WASD, a bunch of keys around it, the modifiers and 1-8 is all you need. Since you usually have you right hand on the mouse, you want to use your left hand for switching weapons through the quickslots (1-8). Oblivion's interface is seriously limited due to the fact that it had to shoehorned onto the Xbox controller - in particular the eight quickslots - so you can't flip between weapons too much either. Since you have free pause, you can rearrange your sets as you wish so it's not that big a deal.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2007, 03:27 PM

I have a 2.33 Ghz MBP with 256 MB ATI. I purchased the 2.4 Ghz yesterday. I ran Oblivion on my 2.33 Ghz MBP running my character across that long bridge next to Chestnut Handy Stables at Imperial City. Framerates were about 21 to 22 FPS at 1280x768.

I copied the same character over to my 2.4 Ghz MBP and ran her across the same bridge at 1280x768 and got 52 to 56 FPS; that's more than TWICE the frame rate on my 2.33 Ghz MBP with ATI 256 MB GPU. I will run more tests but I am WOWed by the nVidia 256 MB on my 2.4 Ghz MBP right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules