Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB-to-Serial Port Adapter - How Do I Get It To Work?

USB-to-Serial Port Adapter - How Do I Get It To Work?
ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2010, 09:13 AM

I bought a Prolific USB-to-serial adapter so that I could connect my Garmin eTrex GPS to my iMac. I have installed the driver and even ensured that the kext the installer drops is in the right place. But when I connect the device, I am prompted to set it up as a modem, and of course that never works.

So how would one install and configure a Prolific PL2303 (packaged as a Sabrent SBT-USC1M) so that it works as a serial port without the whole modem business?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Jan 25, 2010, 12:55 PM

Never heard of Prolific. I've had a Keyspan adapter that's been easy plug and play for years.

Any chance you have to manually set up a new interface in Network preferences?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 25, 2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Any chance you have to manually set up a new interface in Network preferences?

Steve
Prolific is the chipset maker; I've bought a number of Sabrent-branded peripherals over the years, and they choose decent chips.

I can't figure out HOW to set up a new interface in Network Prefs-it ONLY wants to configure the serial connection as a modem. I can set up new services, but they are based on the interfaces that are shown in the list, with no obvious way to add a new interface. I'm stumped and that frustrates me.

ibook_steve
Jan 26, 2010, 04:21 AM

On an off chance, try downloading Keyspan's USB serial adapter software. Maybe that will work.

Keyspan USB adapters 2.5 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 26, 2010, 09:08 AM

No joy so far. I have to check this adapter on a PC with a serial port; I don't know if the adapter is giving me problems or if the GPS's cable is the problem...

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 27, 2010, 08:37 PM

The GPS's data cable and the adapter work fine on an XP machine. I simply don't know how to tell OS X to set up the adapter as JUST a null modem connection-the null modem setting in Network Prefs does not seem to work, as the computer still tries to "connect" to the unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules