Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Recommendations for Basic Digitizer

Recommendations for Basic Digitizer
derien
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 05:09 PM

I'm interested in picking up a graphics tablet, and I would like to know people's opinions on what's out there. This would be hobbiest-level stuff, tracing line art and doing web graphics. From what I've read, Wacom is a sure way to go, but are any of the cheaper options worth looking at? On eBay it looked like one could snag a 5x7 JamStudio for a decent price, but I'm wary of it because of the not-as-established brand and the fact that they don't list OS X support. I'm using OS 9 now, and intend to for the time being, but the incentives to upgrade are piling up, and I don't want to be stuck with unusable hardware.

I'd probably lean towards Wacom's Graphire2, but the price seems steep and the 4X5 area strikes me as a bit small. Does anyone have feelings about this?

Thanks.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 06:48 PM

i have the small wacom. it's nice but i don't use it much.

dannyn
Sep 20, 2002, 02:45 PM

If you plan on tracing line art, then you'll need at least the 6x8 tablet. The 4x5 tablet is simply too small, and the resolution isn't that good. Also, the 6x8 and larger tablets have a transparent overlay, so you can put drawings underneath for tracing.

Yes, the price seems a bit steep, but, believe me, Wacom tablets are the best on the market. There's very good reason you don't hear much about any other brands. Wacom builds their tablets right, and almost every artist who owns a tablet owns a Wacom.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

koffedrnkr
Sep 20, 2002, 05:47 PM

my advice is go wacom. ignore the 4x5...it's simply too small. stick with a 6x8 or higher. also...the quality of tablet can really show if you use any transparency. wacom tablets support (if i remember correctly) 512 levels of pressure. other cheaper brands use half that number. more stylus sensitivity gives you better looking stuff!

derien  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2002, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll be putting off that purchase until I can afford to part with the cash needed for the smart buy.

And then I'm sure I'll be all that more happy.

derien  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2002, 05:01 PM

Does anyone have ideas about where to look for reburbished tablets? I see that it's possible to find a new Intuous2 9x12 at a variety of sources for under $400, so is it reasonable to think there might be some refurbs out there for less? eBay doesn't look so promising on this one....

Forum Links
Forum Rules