Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Need 3D software recommendations please

Need 3D software recommendations please
mech1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 04:29 PM

Hi all. I've been searching everywhere for a decent 3D software package but to no avail. I've already tried a 3D text software package called Vertigo 3D but found that it doesn't quite capture the 'perspective' look I want....it seems to be a bit off. Can any of you recommend any decent 3D software packages compatible with Illustrator that the professionals use? I want to be able to create my own professional looking 3D logo without having to rely on low-end crappy software....I need something with power.
wuzzup wit dat cornchip smell
yo?

dannyn
Oct 13, 2002, 04:39 PM

You might consider trying Swift3D (http://www.swift3d.com). It's designed mainly to work with Flash, but it does export vector information in AI format. It's also very inexpensive.

Another good 3d package is Cinema 4D (http://www.maxon.de). Because of its excellent renderer, Cinema 4D is fairly popular among print and broadcast designers. There are several different levels of the program, so you can purchase the one that has the features you need, e.g. not everyone needs all of the animation and effects features from the the XL version.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2002, 06:27 PM

Hi there,

I use 3D Studio VIZ / MAX on the PC at work every day and hate them both.

I recently did some freelance work at home, and needed a good mac 3D program.

I tried a few, read a load of reviews, forums and articles (try www.architosh.com ). The best seemed to be Cinema 4D.

I can quite honestly say it's the most user-friendly 3D app I've ever used, and am trying to steer my employers towards it. There's a PC version too, and for animation you can do cross-platform network rendering.

-mrwalker

mech1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2002, 08:41 PM

I've gone ahead and downloaded the demo version for Cinema 4D Go and it seems pretty cool. I think it'll take some gettting used to but it appears to have all the features I'm looking for. I especially like the way you can rotate and manipulate the perspective for any given object, nice.
wuzzup wit dat cornchip smell
yo?

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 07:53 PM

www.blender.nl : blender creator is a free 3d application that i have tried and used to create few scenes. it is not user friedly, nor des it have ray-tracing for relections. but it is free and works and has a very strong following from those that got to know it well.

the above url might not work, so search google for blendercreator.

headbirth
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2002, 12:32 PM

You might want to give PiXELs a try (www.pixels.net)

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2002, 10:21 PM

I have been trying out the various downloadable tryouts: and as a graphic designer really used to Freehand, ElectricImage Modeler really impressed with its ease of use. Its boolean operations (union, subratct etc) is much much simpler than C4D's and makes sense. Form�Z (OS9 only) works similarly. But EIUniverse rocks!

83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 05:11 PM

I am looking for a new 3D app. I was using Strata Studio Pro in the 1994-1996 range and Infini-D back in the from '96-99ish and they were great little programs at the time. When Infini-D went away a lot of folks went with Cinema 4D, it was new and had good features.

Currently, I was looking at Lightwave 7.5, it comes cross platform and has many of the features you pay extra to get in Cinema 4d. If you are a student you can get the EDU version for $395, no watermarking. The upgrade to the commercial license is $395, so for about $800 you get the full version. Newtek is offering LW7.5 for $999 on their site -- a promo geared towards game developers. The program looks a little complicated but the feature set looks impressive. There is a Swift 3d plugin for LW that will export .swf files. This is also available for MAX.

I have also used TrueSpace (the 1998 version) on the PC and it was a pretty easy program for a new user to jump in and use.

The 3dtookbox version of EI 2.9 fo $199 or $299 looks like a good deal. I don't think there is an upgrade path to the latest version. Carrera (the folks that bought Ray Dream Designer and Infini-D from MetaCreations) recently announced a new entry level 3D app, I haven't checked it out.

The choices are much better than they were a few years ago. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules