Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 3D Software Questions

3D Software Questions
appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 06:30 PM

I belive I was watching Steve Job's keynote from Paris where another guy came up on stage and showed off some 3D programs. He made like palm trees on one and showed off 3 or 4 cool looking programs. What programs are out there that are like those? In other words does anyone know a pretty simple 3D program that would let me mess around making environments or something. I have no experience with anything like this so I don't mean some complicated and expensive program like Maya or something. Plus it would be nice if it didn't take a dual 1.25 Ghz Powermac to run it. Just curious, thanks guys.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

dannyn
Oct 25, 2002, 08:11 PM

A relatively simple program for creating 3D environments is Bryce. It's been around for a while, and the render quality is very nice. It's also fairly easy to get some nice results without spending a lot of time learning the program.

If you feel like you need more power than Bryce, you can try Maya for free by downloading the Personal Learning Edition from Alias|Wavefront's website. It'll take some time to learn the basics (the tutorials that come with it are very good), and there's a pretty nasty watermark in the interface, but with a bit of practice, you'll be able to create some really nice stuff. The stuff that was shown at one of the Macworlds -- the really neat plants and trees -- is Maya's Paint Effects.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

appledude83  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 09:28 PM

Thanks alot dude. I've got both programs downloading right now and I'm gonna try them out. Sadly I have to try them on my PC since I won't have my new Mac for about 2 months. Anybody else feel free to fire off some more suggestions. Maybe some 3D program that could be used to make a 3D cartoon or comic or something.
iBook 800/640MB/30GB

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 09:48 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules