Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless mouse?

Wireless mouse?
keysersoze
Banned
Nov 19, 2002, 06:16 PM

Hello all.

I am sitting here drooling over my new Tibook and I have a question.

While I think the trackpad is good, I was hoping some of you could shed some light on wireless mice for the Tibook. Who is using one? What model? Also, does anyone have any idea if Microsoft's new Bluetooth mouse is compatible with OS X? Also, is Microsoft the only option in the Bluetooth mouse arena?

Thanks in advance!

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by keysersoze:

While I think the trackpad is good, I was hoping some of you could shed some light on wireless mice for the Tibook. Who is using one? What model?
Hey -

I;m using a logitech cordless optical mouse right now and it is great! It's about half the price of microsofts cordless optical and has the same basic functionality. Granted the shape of microsofts is just ever-so-slightly better than the logitechs, but not $40 better.

Also, I find that the logitech seems to work better. I have the reciever dangling from the desk, out of the way and out of site and the mouse works great! I highly recommend one.

river

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 07:23 PM

I'd wait for a bluetooth mouse if you can. MS has one and we only need for them to make drivers for the Mac. Logitech will most likely deliver one too.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 07:30 PM

Whoops -- sorry, this was a double post, got all confused while doing a bunch of installs on my new Ti!

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2002, 07:35 PM

the reviews for the microsoft bluetooth mouse leave a lot to be desired... serious interference problems if you have a cordless phone anywhere nearby...

Im going to get the MX700 every review seems to be saying its better than any _corded_ mouse let alone wireless

RM

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2002, 09:27 PM

came across this,
http://kensington.com/html/1743.html
can't wait for it to ship to get some reviews.

dannyn
Nov 19, 2002, 10:14 PM

The kensington pocketmouse pro wireless mouse seems like the perfect solution. I'm using the normal wired pocketmouse pro, and it is just the right size for carrying around and using. Definitely waiting for reviews on the wireless one.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2002, 12:46 AM

I am using the Microsoft Optical Wireless...

Over all it is a good mouse. The only complaint that I have against it is that it draws way way too much battery.

Anyways, it has 5 buttons, plus a scroller. Overall it is not lacking in features or anything, the front and back buttons I used a lot. So you should definitely consider a mouse that has it. It is juse so much more convenient.

Anyways goodluck.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2002, 05:31 AM

My boss uses a Logitech wireless mouse / pointing device Powerpoint controller with his vaio. It works great and I'm pretty sure it works with a Mac. It is about 175 bucks, though.

PeteWK

sethbc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 05:44 AM

ahh the mx700 is a great mouse, but i woudln't really recommend it for a pb, the wires are a mess if you're plugging it into the back of a laptop...the power cord plugs into the back of the usb plug for the reciever/base station. god forbid you wanna carry this thing around its HUGE compared to even the intellimouse explorer wireless...

on the other hand, it is rechargable, and with the energizer rechargable batteries i get near 35 hrs of battery life without a recharge, though with the standard batts it was something like 15 hours. Also, i get a FAR higher rate, ~120 hz which is the update rate max for a usb mouse. my intellimouse explorer wireless peaks at ~70 hz

there are plusses and minuses to all purchases, i personally am going with an MX500 corded mouse for my tibook....

seth

Forum Links
Forum Rules