Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mouse recommendations for new Tibook?

Mouse recommendations for new Tibook?
lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 12:48 AM

I'm tryin to figure out what mouse to get for my new TIbook, (when my replacement finally gets here)

i'm lookin at two models the first is the kensington studio mouse

http://www.kensington.com/html/1216.html

and the other is the logitech mx500

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

id like to get an optical mouse, i'm just wondering if these two are better than the apple pro mouse i have, it looks good, but i cant stand how it jumps all over the place.

feedback appreciated,

thanks

l�k
iron sharpens iron

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 12:52 AM

I was looking for a mouse for my new PB too. During the research, I ran across the Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless...not released yet, but it seems SO sweet. Also saw good reviews for the Pocket Mouse Pro.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 12:59 AM

I bought the MX500 yesterday and really, really like it. People think I am crazy for all the mouses I have, which would be like 6, but this one is my new favorite. (I learned that the computer word for mouse is mouses plural!)

Its not too heavy, it tracks perfectly well, has useful buttons (the "cruise control" buttons are nice), and it was mysteriously only 35$ at staples instead of 50$.

Thats my advise -

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 01:20 AM

hey swarmy

i'll check staples and see if its still that cheap

l�k

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
I bought the MX500 yesterday and really, really like it. People think I am crazy for all the mouses I have, which would be like 6, but this one is my new favorite. (I learned that the computer word for mouse is mouses plural!)

Its not too heavy, it tracks perfectly well, has useful buttons (the "cruise control" buttons are nice), and it was mysteriously only 35$ at staples instead of 50$.

Thats my advise -
iron sharpens iron

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 01:24 AM

I can heartily recommend the Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro. The cord retracts into the body: very handy if you take your Powerbook on the road.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 01:42 AM

I have a feeling the mysterious price deduction was just because of a mistake from my local staples. Its doubtful its nationwide - but who knows!

The color also somewhat matches the powerbook.

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2002, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by cklinh:
I was looking for a mouse for my new PB too. During the research, I ran across the Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless...not released yet, but it seems SO sweet. Also saw good reviews for the Pocket Mouse Pro.
im also waiting for this one! its suppose to come out as far as february when i called kensington. hopefully its sooner, another waiting game.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 01:46 AM

You're not crazy. I have 34 optical mice ranging from the original IntelliMouse Explorer to the latest Logitech MX700 cordless optical mouse.

I especially like the MX700 because it's the only cordless mouse I know of that doesn't lag terribly. It's incredibly smooth, and its construction is very solid.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 08:18 AM

In todays ads, I noticed that Staples is offering the MX300 and MX500 for $15 less (making them 15 and 35 dollars each).

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 08:41 AM

I highly recommend the Kensington PocketMouse Pro. The cable is just great, very thin so that it won't disturb anything - and as a plus it will retract into its body when you put it away.

It's very small, handy and light.
Soylent green is people.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by TobyX:
I highly recommend the Kensington PocketMouse Pro. The cable is just great, very thin so that it won't disturb anything - and as a plus it will retract into its body when you put it away.

It's very small, handy and light.
Mobility Pack right? I'm still waiting for my TiBook and extras.

lokjah you might be interested that Kensington also now make a PocketMouse Pro Wireless.

As for me, well, I'm waiting for my Mobility Pack with the PocketMouse Pro but I'm also waiting until after MacWorld to see if Apple at long last bring out not only a wireless mouse but also a 2 button one. We live in hope.

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Simon X:
lokjah you might be interested that Kensington also now make a PocketMouse Pro Wireless.
Crap, you beat me to it.

Anyway, that mouse hasn't been released yet, but you can pre-order it.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Vanquish
Dec 8, 2002, 11:41 AM

I just bought the MX300, and I love it. It looks better than the MX500 IMO. Very good and not too expensive.

A serious improvent after 3 years of puck-mouse.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
A serious improvent after 3 years of puck-mouse.
You used the puck mouse for how long?!

Vanquish
Dec 8, 2002, 02:57 PM

By Simon X:
You used the puck mouse for how long?!
Yes, that's right. 3 whole years ! I liked it you know. It was a good mouse. I just bought this new one for my future TiBook. (and I want to move away from the dark ages, where they use 1-button mouses)

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 04:22 PM

cool seems the majority of people recommend the pocket mouse pro wireless, since its not out yet are the opinions just based on reviews or have u used the pocket mouse pro corded version. i see a recommendation for that one since the cord retracts.

my main priorities are at least more than one button, if its optical, then it needs to have good tracking, way better than the apple one i use.

how often do you have to charge the wireless ones. i'm not sure if i'm too anxious to have to worry about charging something else other than my tibook.

the mx300 and mx500 look great too

l�k
iron sharpens iron

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 04:49 PM

My favorite mouse. Very small and light and real metal!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2002, 04:55 PM

I'm using the mx700 with my powerbook and its far better than the Microsoft Optical that has been demoted to the work machine. Of course nothing is perfect the mx700 needs its usb cable unplugged and replugged every 4 or 5 wake from sleeps

RM

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 05:39 PM

One thing about the MX500: the cord is very long. Its about one foot longer than 2 lengths of the apple pro mouse cord... its that long.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 06:02 PM

I plan to use my Micro$oft optical mouse with my future Powerbook...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 07:58 PM

The original Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical sucked. The later ones with updated sensors are just as good as the third-generation IntelliMouse Explorer mice.

The MX-series sensor is notably better than anything out on the market right now, though.

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2002, 09:29 PM

how about between the mx500 and this one the mouseman dual optical.

seems that its geared towards precision with the two optical sensors. says its for gamers and graphic designers.

im wondering if the two sensors is better/or can compete with the mx engine sensor as in the mx500?

l�k
iron sharpens iron

dannyn
Dec 8, 2002, 10:03 PM

I just picked up the MX700 today, and it tracks as well as the mouseman dual-optical (which I also have). In fact, it tracks better, because it is a wireless mouse that moves like a corded mouse. While the dual lasers are very good -- the mouseman dual is the smoothest corded optical mouse I've ever used -- the single laser of the MX mouse is amazing. I imagine that the MX500 might be smoother due to the fact that it is corded. I went with the MX700 because I wanted a cordless mouse.

Anyway, I work with a variety of animation and video programs on my Ti800, and so far, the MX700 has been great. No lag whatsoever in Maya and Final Cut Pro. I'm not a gamer, so I'm not sure how well it'll do in games. From everything I've heard, it rocks.

I also have the Kensington PocketMouse Pro which I carry in my bag. Another vote in favor for that mouse. People love seeing the retractable cable.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by lokjah:
how about between the mx500 and this one the mouseman dual optical.

seems that its geared towards precision with the two optical sensors. says its for gamers and graphic designers.

im wondering if the two sensors is better/or can compete with the mx engine sensor as in the mx500?

l�k
Lokjak: I've had the Logitech MX500 for 2 months now. Since it's corded it doesn't need to be recharged (I had the Logitech wireless model previous to the MX700). The cord works better. It tracks great!! I got mine through Amazon for $34 (after a rebate). Don't know if they are still running that sale. The cord is long, but I just use a twist-tie to shorten it. Or if you can go to your local computer store and check out the mouse for yourself. Hope that helps.

Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 02:55 AM

i suggest the mini optical mouse. good thing is its only 20 bucks.

MickS
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 07:50 AM

I used a Swann mini-mouse for a while. It couldn't cope with the stress though and went to mouse heaven, at which point it was hung by it's tail from a light.

I replaced it with an Apple Pro Mouse. Yes I know I could have one with more buttons, a scroll-wheel, and that makes the coffee, but I'm happy with a single button.

I can fit the mouse in my laptop bag, which is the only qualification. If there's not enough room to use the mouse I'll use the trackpad, but as you only need a space around the size of an A4 (letter) page that doesn't happen too often.

Cocoaholic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2002, 08:47 AM

This optical ones from Lexon are nice,
2 buttons + scroll-wheel, don't know the cost because mine was a present :-)

http://www.lexon-design.com

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 03:57 PM

i'm leaning towards the mx500

what is the main advantage for a cordless mouse?

isnt your mouse generally close to your keyboard? or is it just a wire preference?

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
My favorite mouse. Very small and light and real metal!

Heck yeah man! Matches the Ti kinda as well. I have gotten many good comments about mine.

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 05:45 PM

is the split in the middle for the scroll? or does it make up two buttons?

i like that one too. hows the tracking?

l�k

Originally posted by Camera God:

Heck yeah man! Matches the Ti kinda as well. I have gotten many good comments about mine.
iron sharpens iron

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 06:35 PM

call me strange, but I love the Apple Pro mouse, and I have no less than three of them.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 09:36 PM

i love the looks of mine i just dont like the tracking.
l�k

Originally posted by UnixMac:
call me strange, but I love the Apple Pro mouse, and I have no less than three of them.
iron sharpens iron

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 11:22 PM

is the split in the middle for the scroll? or does it make up two buttons?
i like that one too. hows the tracking?
The split is for the scroll and to make it two buttons. It's one piece of metal, but forms two buttons that click really nice. The scroll has a nice feel to it too, and the tracking seems perfect also. It works fine with no drivers in OSX but you can download the Logitech driver that lets you program the buttons and wheel more. I use the wheel click as a Hide button. So nice to be able to make apps disappear with a click! I love it!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2002, 11:57 PM

The Kensington Studio Mouse is horrific in terms of tracking ability. I tried one at Macworld New York. They're no better than the Apple mice.

Vond
Dec 10, 2002, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by UnixMac:
I am a happy switcher but oh my god, one button mice kill me. I usually use a first-generation Logitech USB optical on my PowerBook but I'll be putting one of the newer ones on the wishlist this Christmas.

I guess "UnixMac" doesn't imply that you use X applications if you like a one-button mouse, huh?

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 12:17 PM

thanks for the warning. i noticed not too many people have commented on the kensingtons.

l�k

Originally posted by seanyepez:
The Kensington Studio Mouse is horrific in terms of tracking ability. I tried one at Macworld New York. They're no better than the Apple mice.
iron sharpens iron

dannyn
Dec 10, 2002, 02:10 PM

i'm leaning towards the mx500

what is the main advantage for a cordless mouse?

isnt your mouse generally close to your keyboard? or is it just a wire preference?

l�k
The main advantage of using a cordless mouse is having free range of movement. You are not constrained by having a cord connected to your keyboard/monitor/hub/computer. I've found that it's easier to adjust my mousing area as I work when I don't have to deal with a cord dangling from my mouse. My desk is also a bit cleaner-looking without the mouse cable.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Vond:

I am a happy switcher but oh my god, one button mice kill me. I usually use a first-generation Logitech USB optical on my PowerBook but I'll be putting one of the newer ones on the wishlist this Christmas.
I too am a happy switcher and I use the Apple Pro mouse I got with a Cube with my Powerbook.

It's the only mouse I've found that looks good next to the powerbook. I love the short cable too.

I really don't miss the right button at all. I have a powermate that I plug in too when I'm working on anything that reqires scrolling.

The microsoft ones are very light and feel like cheap toys. The logitech one mentioned above is, for me, ugly as a viao. I like the look of the lexon one, though it seems more suited to the ibook.

What I really want is a bluetooth version of the Apple Pro Mouse which recharges via USB or Firewire. That coupled with onboard bluetooth would be great. I hoping for this when I update my powerbook early next year.

-mrwalker

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:27 PM

I guess it's each person's preference. Some may prefer the looks of the Apple mouse while others are wanting something that tracks better. These new optical mice may not match the cool look of the Apple Pro Mouse, but I would argue that my Logitech MX500 tracks much better and have more uses. Again, it's personal preference. If people like the 1-button mouse more power to them. I just like more uses out of mine. Good luck shopping Lokjah.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2002, 04:36 PM

Your only real choice is the Logitech MX mice.

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 04:45 PM

I just picked up the MX300 as my temporary travel-mouse (for $15 at Staples.com, free shipping). Hope it is as great as its reviews have been. Once the Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless is released (and perhaps with a small price drop), I'll pick that up as my travel-mouse, and relegate the MX300 to my desk. That way, I wouldn't have to keep removing the mouse from my bag.

Anyways, also found a Wireless Optical Mini-Mouse from Targus. Same idea as the Kensington, minus the receiver in mouse thing. For anyone that doesn't want to wait for the Kensington, it's at:

http://targus.com/product_details.asp?sku=PAUM005U

There's also a version with a mouse ball.
The optical version hasn't gotten the best reviews though.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2002, 04:50 PM

Build quality on the MX300 leaves a little bit to be desired in the scroll wheel department, but other than that, it's the nicest mouse I've ever put my paws on.

gg1234
Dec 11, 2002, 04:56 PM

I just picked up the MX300 as my temporary travel-mouse (for $15 at Staples.com, free shipping)....
Thanks for the tip. That's a pretty darn good price so I ordered one too...

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 08:04 PM

Anyways, also found a Wireless Optical Mini-Mouse from Targus. Same idea as the Kensington, minus the receiver in mouse thing. For anyone that doesn't want to wait for the Kensington, it's at:

You get get those at a local Best Buy store...actually, they're selling at a lot of computer stores.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 12:30 AM

I just picked up the MX300 as my temporary travel-mouse (for $15 at Staples.com, free shipping). Hope it is as great as its reviews have been. Once the Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless is released (and perhaps with a small price drop), I'll pick that up as my travel-mouse, and relegate the MX300 to my desk. That way, I wouldn't have to keep removing the mouse from my bag.

Hi,

Did you install the Logitech software with your MX300 and OSX?

Thanks
( Last edited by iDORK; Dec 12, 2002 at 12:35 AM. )

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2002, 02:53 AM

I actually haven't gotten the mouse yet. Attempted delivery today (I ordered yesterday!), will be here tomorrow.

To answer the driver question, I have used two other Logitech mice, the Logitech Mouseman Pro Wireless, and the Logitech Optical Mouseman Pro Wireless with my PM. I've never installed their drivers. I only installed USB Overdrive (for X) to make use of the thumb button (set to do a double-click). I don't perceive having to install the Logitech drivers for the MX300 since it's the run-of-the-mill two-button-and-scroll-wheel mouse. (I got hyphen crazy )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2002, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by iDORK:

Hi,

Did you install the Logitech software with your MX300 and OSX?

Thanks
Logitech includes an awesome driver suite if I may say so myself. However, you must take into consideration that it's only a two-button mouse. OS X drives scroll wheels fine without any additional software. If you don't install the drivers, you won't get to use the nifty application switcher button that comes on the MX300. I don't find it useful, but in its current state, it's a useless buttonn. I'd recommend you'd install the drivers anyway.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 10:47 AM

Thanks for your replies guys!

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2002, 05:48 PM

well thanks for the advice, i just got back from staples and picked up the mx500 for $34.95

and you can get the osx driver package from versiontracker its called the logitech control center
do a search for logitech and that package will come up.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

lokjah  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2002, 07:37 PM

man this is a nice mouse.

dag.

tracking is unbelievable. scroll wheel is awesome.

very nice.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Forum Links
Forum Rules