Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final portfolio

Final portfolio
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2003, 08:11 AM

At my other post here I posted a .mov file that was gonna be my portfolio sent to some universities in U.K. After some thought I decided to not send the mov file but a simple pdf file with my work. I wanted it to be very simple cause they just want to see some pictures and then turn to the other portfolio. And anyway they will look at the portfolio for 10min max...
So here it is. It's only 4MB so you can all download it.
http://idisk.mac.com/dkatsafouros/Pu...rtfoliolow.pdf
Waiting for your comments.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2003, 05:16 PM

all your type in the first half is blasted out. Unreadable. Hard to judge quality typography by that.

Like your 3d stuff and some of your illustrations. girl with starfish esp nice, but lose the other chick who looks like a notebook doodle.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2003, 02:41 AM

The quality for size purposes is dropped but I bet that you have your view set at 200% or more. Cause the pdf is saved at 72dpi anything else than 100% will look awful. So turn it down to 100% and everything is going to be fine.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Feb 16, 2003, 03:36 AM

Why is it so small?

What is the point of page 57?
( Last edited by Landos Mustache; Feb 18, 2003 at 09:40 PM. )

"Hello, what have we here?

jersey
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 02:08 PM

all i can say is make sure it functions properly when they put it in the comptuer. this past friday i helped review 200+ MFA applications, and several people sent cd's that were not complete, or needed to be connected to the net to get the images, blah blah blah. needless to say their work was not even looked at. why? because they made it too difficult to get to. so my 2 best pieces advice: 1.make the enitre thing self contained, do not force people on to the net to look at your work. 2nd is to give it to someone who has NOT been a part of the production and see if they can figure it out. if they can, your golden.

dannyn
Feb 17, 2003, 01:04 AM

Overall, the work looks really nice. Impressive for a university application. Only a few comments about the presentation.

When viewed at 100%, everything is very small. A 5"x6" print size is incredibly small for a print portfolio. I understand the need for small file sizes, but the presentation is very important. When I opened your PDF on my Cinema Display, I was able to see about 2 to 2-1/2 pages at a time. It's especially difficult to see the work on a hi-res screen. Looks ok on my Ti's screen but very tiny in my Cinema Display.

Also, there are many pages where the summary image and the full size image are basically the same size. This is completely redundant, and I would figure out some other way to present the information. Possibly smaller thumbnails would be more appropriate.

Also, it seems inconsistent to have pages with full-bleed images and pages with insets. I would pick one and stick with it.

Finally, I think the porfolio seems awfully long. You have a lot of images that are very similar. It is unnecessary to include variations on the same theme.

Overall, very nice work. Presentation just needs to be simplified and polished a bit more.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 01:06 PM

Hello to all of you. Thanks for your comments.

Landos I didn't want my portfolio to end with a picture but with a blank page. Hence the black page at the end.

Jersey I don't think that someone will have any problems viewing my pdf as long as they have Acrobat. I double checked evewrything so I hope people will have no problems looking at the file. Crossing my fingers...

Dannyn. The dimensions of the portfolio was a terrible mistake on my side!! I made it too small and the bad thing is that I've sent it to the universities in these dimensions. The first thought was to make it viewable in full screen at the most usual resolution of all. 1024X768. On that resolution it looks o.k but anything else makes it very small. The good thing is that because of the higher resolution images I've sent on the universities pdf you can look it at 250% with no pixelation at all. This can't happen on the pdf I'm posting here. So I guess all is not lost. At 1280X1024 you can watch it at full screen with no problems at all.

About the quantity of the work. I think that they're not to many. They say that they devote 15 minutes at least for each portfolio so I guess that my work can be seen under the 15 miutes time.

And about the images that look very simillar. Maybe you're confused about my way of setting up the portfolio. Always there is a small version of my work with some comments and then an enlargement of the piece. So maybe that's why you think that some of my work is simmillar. (You see it 2 times)

I'm hoping for the best. I've sent my portfolio last tuesday. Hope that everyone will like it and accept me!!! ) I'll just have to wait and see. How long do you think that I'll have to wait??

Arch.
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 03:47 AM

The typography reeks of "tomato", whom I really like. If you were not copying you should check them out....www.tomato.co.uk. Why did you pile on so many 3D images that were the same for the most part? Why dont you have a statement of intent for the work? Just my 2 cents...im not trying to pick you apart.

Arch.
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2003, 03:55 AM

Also forgot to say that your folio may take you 15 min to flip through because you assume a certain level of familiarity with it...you did it. The people that look at these things are not going to go through your entire portfolio....at least not one that is that long. A portfolio that piles on the work like that IE stacking images smaller to larger/similar composition screams of insecurity. You have some very good pieces, but do you really need 5 images to back up one that is essentialy the same thing? You have some nice stuff and are talented so my advice to you is to trim the fat next time you prepare something like this. WRITE AN INTENT FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO!

Forum Links
Forum Rules