Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 3D apps of choice

3D apps of choice
RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2003, 09:55 AM

A few questions here, so bear with me.

What is your 3D app of choice?
What attracted you to it most?
Can you show an example of what you've accomplished using it?
How was the learning curve?

I'm using bryce 5 now. It's an amazing program but as soon as you click render, it slows down to 68030-like speeds. Any ideas?
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2003, 04:40 AM

i use/d lightwave, ace but learning curve is a mother, rendering speeds are just the nature of the beast.

Dont have stuff to show (all offline and am in work)

thinking of having a muck around with cinema 4d but not sure about if i can be bothered relearning.

Used to do 3d all the time but am gradually moving away into web and DV, cos of its intrinsic fiddliness, and its involved nature.

Bryce is good if you just want a good solid performer, i would stick with it if your needs are not likely to change
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

CreepShow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2003, 09:31 AM

i use lightwave... i used bryce years ago... rendering time for a scene about a week... LW is good! Didnt like cinema 4d much...

dannyn
Jul 4, 2003, 02:39 PM

I use Maya for all of my 3D work. The learning curve is no different than most high-end 3D apps (Lightwave, Cinema4D, Universe, etc), but it still takes some time to understand. I prefer Maya over other 3D apps, because the interface is very fluid, the animation tools are top-notch particularly as it relates to character animation, and its scripting language (MEL script) is incredibly powerful.

Most of my Maya work is either covered by NDA or too technical in nature, so there really isn't much that I can show at this time. However, you can see the type of work that I do here:

http://www.dannyngan.com/gallery.htm
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

Forum Links
Forum Rules