Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DV camera for beginner?

DV camera for beginner?
kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2001, 06:39 PM

I am a total novice at DV. As a matter of fact I have only ever used a video camera for about 5 minutes ever in my entire life. After having a huge amount of fun with my digital camera, iMovie, and iDVD2, I am looking to get a DV camera.

So, can you guys recommend a good beginner's camera? The Canon ZR series seems to get good reviews and my friend has a Sony (not sure which one) that he likes a lot. Any comments on these or other cameras?

thanks,
kman

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2001, 06:52 PM

Sony DVR-TRV120 works great.
But, you could save money if you get less features like "special effects" etc. since iMovie will do all that stuff for you anyway.
I never use any of the title, effects, transisitions that are built into the camera since I do it all in iMovie
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

dannyn
Nov 17, 2001, 10:23 PM

The Canon ZR series is a very good camera for both beginners and intermediate users. It has just the right number features to get your work done plus a few extras. If you shop around a bit, you can find the lower-end ZR cameras for under $800. Not a bad deal at all.

FYI, many of my students use the Canon ZR10 and ZR20 camcorders for their class projects. The image quality from both of those cameras is really nice, they're both very compact, and they work flawlessly with iMovie.

danny
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2001, 11:40 PM

The lowest end Sony (mini DV) .
I'm currently working with the TRV103(digital-8). It's great!
Later
Chuck

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2001, 03:22 PM

I'm currently leaning toward the Canon ZR series, either the 10,20, or 25. I have pretty much ruled out the MC series as I don't think the cost justifies the memory card features. Besides, I have a digital ELPH that I really love for stills. Anyone know the megapixel specs for stills on the video cameras?

I don't want to get any extra special effects features if I can do them in iMovie, but I would like to be able get decent footage indoors and in low light.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules