Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How good protection is a laptop sleeve only? (timbuk2 in particular)

How good protection is a laptop sleeve only? (timbuk2 in particular)
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2002, 04:35 AM

In september I'm gonna be a happy powerbook user. I'm thinking of using only a laptop sleeve on a regular bag for the protection of my powerbook.Is it enough or should I get the sleeve and an extra padded messengers bag? Any experiences from the laptop sleeve only users? Is your machine o.k? Any problems?
Thanks in advance

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2002, 04:46 AM

Obviously, any laptop case with a reasonable amount of padding is going to work fine for your TiBook. They aren't special laptops when it comes to protecting them from drops or shock. If you want style, I recommend you go for the sleeve, but it won't have the same drop protection a standard laptop bag will offer. I would recommend putting the sleeve in a reasonably padded bag.

Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2002, 03:10 PM

I have a nice Kenneth Cole leather satchel type bag with the sleeve inserted inside of it..Fits perfectly and pads nicely..I've actually had a few small drops and a few slams against the dash when I've stopped short....and my PB survived just fine..

Obviously you'll still have to use common sense and care but that type of setup should protect against minor lapses.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

MacGromit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 12:53 AM

As i've seen it, there are a few different questions that you have to ask about any potential sleeve:

(a) Vertical (back packs) or Horizontal orientation (messenger type bags)?

(b) Padded only or Padded with corrugated plastic shell?

(c) Internal Sling or Sleeve only protection?

(d) Protection on all sides or No Protection on top of sleeve?

The Brenthaven sleeve for instance (by the way, Apple won't allow Brenthaven to sell the sleeve that comes with the Titanium 2 bag separately. That is the only sleeve that fits the TiBook) has an internal sling that cradles the computer INSIDE the sleeve. So if you drop the sleeve, the computer will be supported more by the sleeve than w/out this sling.

Most sleeves are only padding. And some only have padding on three sides, leaving the top open or with only a flimsy strap to keep your laptop safe. Eeeks!

In my humble opinion, the sleeve that comes inside the Brenthaven Titanium 2 bag mentioned earlier is the best for protection. If only they sold it separately.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2002, 12:59 AM

Actually you can buy a similar sleeve from Swiss Army/Victorinox. They sell this sleeve that has two hard sides (with padding inside) and a cool suspension system for your laptop if you drop it. The things is really high-quality and even comes with its own detachable shoulder strap if you want to use it without a bag. You can get it at a luggage store, or maybe online. I paid $65 for it and I feel confident that my TiBook is protected. If you have a 12" iBook I would avoid this as the iBook may slip around inside the sleeve (I only have a TiBook so I can't be sure).

MacGromit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 06:26 PM

Where can I buy one of these sleeves online? What model/name?

dannyn
Aug 5, 2002, 07:19 PM

I just picked up a Timbuk2 Designs Computer Commuter bag from their online store (http://www.timbuk2.com), and I think it rocks. Even though the sleeve is open top, there's some serious padding around and under it. I actually like the open top -- I can get my TiBook in and out of my bag very quickly. There's a snap strap to secure the 'book while in transit. The bag itself is wonderful. Roomy, sturdy, comfortable, and pretty stylish. Timbuk2 allows you to pick the colors you want on the bag. Very cool. The best thing about the bag is that it does not look like a computer bag. I see several students on my college campus carrying this brand of bag around, so my bag looks very normal and unassuming.

The Timbuk2 bags get my vote.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2002, 07:31 PM

I have a vertical sleve from www.sfbags.com. I carry my Tibook in a messenger bag every day and the sleve looks after the powerbook really well.

The sleve actually belongs to a friend who thought he was going to buy a powerbook and then didn't, but having seen mine he's going to again. When he asks for it back I'm going to buy the same one but in a horizontal format.

MacGromit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2002, 10:29 PM

I guess that the Willow Designs sleeves are what I'm looking for but I sure wish that they had a "sling" to cradle the TiBook a little more.

Willow Designs sleeves

dannyn
Aug 6, 2002, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by mrwalker:
I have a vertical sleve from www.sfbags.com. I carry my Tibook in a messenger bag every day and the sleve looks after the powerbook really well.

The sleve actually belongs to a friend who thought he was going to buy a powerbook and then didn't, but having seen mine he's going to again. When he asks for it back I'm going to buy the same one but in a horizontal format.
The bags from Waterfield Designs (www.sfbags.com) are also really nice. I used to use a medium cargo with a horizontal sleeve. The sleeves provide pretty good protection for your 'book. You can also customize the sleeve with a flap (the basic sleeve is open top) and D-rings and shoulder strap. Nice fit on Ti's, too. And the belt buckle on the cargo messenger bags is sweet!
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

HouseSold
Senior User
Aug 8, 2002, 01:32 AM

I'm with seanyepez; been using a Timbuktu sleeve inside a Targus laptop case for work for two years. I pull the sleeve up just past the zipper on the Targus before insertion or removal of the TiBook. Good protection from two reliable companies.

I also use the Vangard aluminum style case for power appointments with the TiBook for presentations. It fits as though they were designed for one another. The Vangard was from Sharper Image, but may have been discontinued there; it is available elsewhere on the net though. Quite impressive and slim. I know many of us have an accessory wardrobe of more than one case or style of case for different occasions or travelin'.

agibbs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 04:51 PM

I definitely agree with those who recommended Waterfield bags (www.sfbags.com) I have a sleeve (G4 horiz. a Cargo bag, and an iPod case from them and love each of them. Check them out before getting something else.

Adam
Ti 500/512/20

satyagrahanism
Aug 8, 2002, 08:52 PM

I have a Timbuk2. It rocks. I originally got a color that I didn't like. they allowed me to return it and get a new one - GREAT customer service.

The thing is amazing protection. HOWEVER, you can't use the bag and just slid the computer in. The rubber feet fall off. The case is really tight, so it just rubs the feet too hard.

To solve this, I got a compressed piece of cardboard (from an art store, not the ugly brown kinds from a back of a ups place) and cut it to the size of the bottom of my laptop. Then I used packaging tape to tape around the edges (they can get wore down and messy after a few months).

The cardboard I use is intially used for photo displays I think. I had to buy a pack of them, but I use the material for other stuff anyway.

Now it slids in perfectly.

I bought another case for the Powerbook, never used it. Timbuk2 is all I need.

I've dropped the computer three times and the whole thing was fine inside the Timbuk2. It has to be about 20 times since I've put the computer in my car, and in a sudden stop, it slides and hits the floor. Not a single dent or scratch.

I love the Timbuk2. Only suggestion: don't get a light color. My bag is tan. The dirty stains and grim really shows on it.

Oh - and putting a white Apple sticker in the middle of one side really makes it look nice. I've gotten a lot of compliments. But I'm sure it also makes you a target for muggings.

Dee
TAKE A STAND FOR HUMAN AND ANIMAL RIGHTS! SPEAK OUT AND HELP THOSE WHO ARE IN GREAT NEED.

MacGromit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 04:05 PM

I'm really sorry to bump this but I would really like to know where I can purchase one of the Swiss Army sleeves mentioned above.

I've scoured the Net with Google but cannot find the sleeve sold anywhere. There are plenty of places to buy computer cases from Swiss Army and it's distributors but not the sleeve alone.

Help!

MacGromit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2002, 11:07 AM

I just received this from the Swiss Army customer service.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The laptop sleeve you refer to is our CS2 Cross-Suspension laptop sleeve... You can also go to www.swissarmy.com and find on-line retailers who carry the product, as well."

Swiss Army CS2 Cross suspension sleeve ($65 suggested retail)

Image of sleeve

acadian
Senior User
Aug 15, 2002, 10:35 AM

I made a simple deerskin sleeve when I got my first Ti 500 and have used it on every Ti model I've owned ever since. Have never scratched any of the cases. The only case damage I've experienced was the paint bubbling issue on the fist gen. 667 and I'm quite mobile with my powerbooks. I would suggest a simple sleeve and padded bag combination which has obviously worked well for me.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2002, 12:01 AM

I think I'm gonna get the timbuk2 bag but isn't strange how much these bags cost?If you ask me it's a serious investment.It's 10% of powerbooks price and what it does in only protection.No I dont want my bag to make me coffe but I was shocked when I saw the prices. 300 Euros for a bag? Man thats xpensive.
Yeah I know it protects your big investement but I gon't doubt the use of the bag I doubt the price on it.
Do you think I'm right or just f*cking crazy?

Forum Links
Forum Rules