Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone with 22" Cinema Display?

Anyone with 22" Cinema Display?
Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 01:36 AM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has a cinema display running off of a DVI powerbook. I was thinking of getting on and using it as my main screen at school because I spend literally all day in front of the computer and my eyes are starting to hurt a LOT. Any experiences from anyone?

Thanks,
Gabe

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 01:45 AM

I don't have the adapter to connect one to my DVI at the moment, but I've used a Cinema HD spanned off a PowerBook at a few Apple Stores. The extra space of the Cinema Display most definitely comes in handy. There aren't any speed issues with using a Cinema HD with a PowerBook G4. I think you'll be very happy with one.

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 02:00 AM

Hi,
Do you know if it's worth trying to find a cinema display that uses a DVI connector? Didn't the first ones use that? Then I wouldn't need the adaptor. Does anyone know if the quality is any less because of the dvi? I don't see why it would be. Thanks,

Gabe

ps Does anyone know where to get a DVI cinema display besides Ebay?

Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2002, 02:16 AM

At work I dock to an ADC Cinema Display via a DVIator. I must say I get pretty spoiled working on it with my PowerBook but it's a little weird sometimes. The PowerBook's screen is a lot lower than the Cinema Display so it's not exactly like having two monitors side by side. And furthermore, one of the displays needs to be angled toward you and it's a little awkward because of the PowerBook's keyboard; chances are it'll be the cinema display angled but that makes me unconscoiously want to put windows on the PowerBook to get a closer look -- hard to explain. But these are nitpicky things.

I've tried every possible combination -- with a keyboard and mouse, with the display closed, without the display closed, etc. All worked in Puma (with a few notable desktop picture bugs) and all have been fixed in Jaguar (whenever I dock and wake my 667 from sleep, the 667's display first fades in like it always does but then it fades out and both monitors fade in as it realizes it's got not one but two screens to deal with -- very classy if you catch my drift).

dannyn
Aug 7, 2002, 03:25 AM

I'm currently using a 22" Cinema Display with my DVI Powerbook via Apple's DVI-ADC adapter. It works beautifully. The adapter is huge, but, since it's buried behind my Cinema Display, I don't even notice it.

The uneven viewing levels take a bit of getting used to, but the awkwardness goes away very fast. I actually don't notice it anymore. Like most things, you just get used to it.

I do a lot of work in video and animation, so the extra real estate is wonderful. When I'm working full-on, I'll have application windows spread out all over the place. For example, in Final Cut Pro, when I'm doing rouch edits, I'll just keep everything on my Powerbook's screen; but when I'm doing longer edits with custom effects, compositing, and finetuning, I'll move my timeline, viewer, and canvas onto my Cinema Display while my project, scopes, and effects windows stay on my 'book. I'll do something similar with After Effects and Commotion Pro.

Basically, the combo of a Powerbook and a Cinema Display rocks.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 03:41 AM

I don't recommend you look for a DVI-enabled Cinema Display because I've heard that they use older, dimmer panels. Just get the $150 adapter from Apple.

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 09:46 AM

Cool. Thanks so much for your responses. Does anyone use the Cinema Display as their only screen? You know, "Clamshell Mode" ? I know the powerbook gets really hot, so I was thinking of clamshelling it and then opening it just so heat can get out, but its screen stays off. This way, if I'm not mistaken I could do 3d stuff on the Cinema Display as well, 'cause there's not enough Video memory to power both screens at the same time doing 3d work.

Gabe

Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2002, 05:06 PM

In my experience, it's really hard to keep the lid closed on the PowerBook because I can't stop thinking about the extra real-estate I'm missing. The Cinema Display on its own doesn't have so much more resolution than the PowerBook's screen does that it makes this incredible difference (to me at least). It's *maybe* two inches in each direction. I know that's a lot but when you realize that there aren't many things that fit neatly into that extra space (except toolbars and such), it doesn't feel as cool as dual monitors. However, I understand that if you're doing taxing 3D work, you need the lid closed. But as far as the PowerBook getting hot, it hasn't with me and I keep the thing on and connected to the Cinema Display all day and I have no problem with heat.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 06:46 PM

You can use the 'Book in "clamshell mode", however, the extra space of the TiBook's main screen is tempting.

The machine won't overheat or anything, but it's healthier to keep the machine open. Some might disagree, but it would quiet down the machine a little more because a little bit of heat dissipates through the keyboard and case.

Zimwy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 07:06 PM

There's been so much fuss made over this clamshell mode. Do any of you want to clear it up for good and tell me how to do it? Is it true that I need a usb keyboard with a power button and a usb mouse? Do I need to restart or can I get to clamshell mode from sleep like I used to be able to in 9 (i'm using 10.1.5 and I'll get Jaguar when it comes out. Thanks student discount!) Thanks a bunch.

Gabe

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 07:07 PM

In my experience, you'll need to turn the machine on and quickly shut the unit's display closed if you don't have a USB keyboard with a power button on it. I haven't tried it recently, though. Things could have changed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules