Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook in place of Power Mac

PowerBook in place of Power Mac
bobrocke
Aug 18, 2002, 02:08 AM

I'm planning on selling my Power Mac G4 667 and replacing it with a PowerBook G4 800. I would keep my keyboard, mouse and monitor for use with the PowerBook when at the home office.

Has anyone else made the conversion? How did it work out? Are there any tips, pointers or issues to watch out for?

Bob
Bob
-----------
Robert J. Rockefeller
Cincinnati, Ohio
"I'm growing older, but not up!"

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2002, 03:03 AM

You can use all of your peripherals with the new PowerBook. I don't think there's really anything to watch out for except for making sure the machine doesn't come in contact with metal objects if you're a stickler for perfect aesthetics. TiBooks' scratches are easier to see than older PowerBooks because the paint comes off instead of merely leaving a scratch on black plastic.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 02:11 PM

I don't have a PowerBook (yet, anyways) but I've heard that you may also want to get a piece of paper or smooth cloth to put between the keyboard and the display when you're travelling with the system. That keeps the dirt off of the screen. and prevents the keys from making impressions. You don't need anything specialized - just so long as it isn't going to leave fuzz on the keyboard!

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 04:56 PM

Hi there,

I use a powerbook 667 DVI as my main machine for 3d architectural illustration in cinema 4d, web development in dreamweaver and loads of image editing in photoshop. From a power point of view, you'll be happy enough.

Go for as much RAM as you can afford, I got 512 on two simms, wish I'd paid the extra for a single chip. I'd also go for one of the 5400 rpm drives or n external firewire one for top performance.

Get a sleve case or similar at the same time - I have one from www.sfbags.com - and something to protect the screen from the keyboard for the outset too.

Other than that, go for it, you won't be disappointed!

-mrwalker

dannyn
Aug 18, 2002, 05:41 PM

I switched from a dual-800 Powermac to my Ti800, and I haven't looked back. It's so nice having all this portable power. I do a lot of video compositing and 3d animation work. My machine doesn't skip a beat. I even kept my Cinema Display for a second monitor. Man, I love the extended real estate!

I'll echo the advice from previous posts. In general, it's just common sense to take care of a $4000 computer. I just use a sheet of paper to stop the keys from rubbing onto the display. It's cheap, it works, and easily replaceable.

I highly recommend the sleeves and bags from Waterfield Designs (web link in previous post). Very nice bags. If you want something more colorful and casual, I'd recommend the bags from Timbuk2 (http://www.timbuk2.com). You get to customize the bags to your liking. I have bags from both companies -- I'm currently using my Timbuk2 bag because it's a little more colorful for the summer. You can't go wrong either way.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

Forum Links
Forum Rules