Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Beyond 14 Days

Beyond 14 Days
aadfadsfa33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2006, 09:32 PM

So I got my MBP on April 12. It's well beyond the 14 days now. I'm just now starting to notice the whine and other noises. I didn't notice it before, because bluetooth seems to keep it quiet - but now I've started taking my MBP to the library, without my bluetooth mouse, and the whine is siginificant.

Another problem I hear when I'm at home (not school) is a very high pitched sound of sorts, kind of like a whirring... it's tough to hear in noise enviornments (such as dorm), but much more apparant in the quiet of my home.

The Mac Genius said there was nothing that could be done. He said it was because the "processor is so powerful". (BTW, don't the iMacs have the same processor? Do they whine too?) He also told me that I could send it in if I wanted, and they *might* replace the logic board, but that was it. Oh, and he didn't seem to want to swap it for me like I've heard so many other people doing.

My problem is that I really, really don't want to be without this thing for 2 weeks to "fix" a problem that may not even get fixed. Last time I sent something into Apple (iPod), it was gone for almost a month.

Do you guys think I should be able to swap it for a newer one that doesn't exhibit the whine? I've heard that the latest batches are much better. Do I have any other options besides sending it in?

Forum Links
Forum Rules