Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No complaints on MacBook from Week 30 on?

No complaints on MacBook from Week 30 on? (Page 2)
macitech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 11:34 AM

Week 38
Temp running at 10-14C running safari.
Unbeleivable difference from week 20 was running 64C.
Thanks Apple!!

jsnyder
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by macitech
Week 38
Temp running at 10-14C running safari.
Unbeleivable difference from week 20 was running 64C.
Thanks Apple!!
10-14C? You realize what temperature that is in farenheit, right? It's around 60 degrees. I seriously doubt your machine is running at 10-14 ˚C unless you're living in the arctic.
MacBook White 2.0 GHz, SuperDrive, 2 GB RAM, 120GB
-jsnyder

iMAColata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro
what happened to your white macbook?
I wonder too. Why is he much happier with his 2.0 Blacbkook than the white 1,83?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Sep 26, 2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I would have said exactly the same about my BlackBook until a week ago.

Now it's in for sudden shutdown repair.
No way!
I remember you and I were on the thread about buying the MacBooks the day they came out, and I'm saddened to hear that you've got yours in for repair...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I remember you and I were on the thread about buying the MacBooks the day they came out, and I'm saddened to hear that you've got yours in for repair...
Yeah. I ordered it the day they were announced, got it pretty fast and it's been going strong ever since.

Unfortunately it started shutting down randomly a few days ago. I brought it in to a local dealer, they checked it, verified that it's RSS, and I took it back home until they get the repair parts. There are so many MB repairs due to this issue that they're having a hard time getting the replacement hardware (heatsink assembly) form Apple. As soon as they get em in, I'll bring it back. Fortunately the repair won't take more than half a day.

rnmac97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 09:49 PM

Hey folks, new blackbook user here, week 38. I've just had it a couple days and now, after reading all the forums am crossing my fingers. I really do love it though, it's replacing an old 12" AL 867mhz. Quite a bump in speed/features.

Joe323
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
any week 36-37 around?
I've got a Week 36 base 1.83 and everything is running fine so far except that I need more RAM (too damn expensive right now). Core Duo Temp does appear to be misreading my temp too saying that it's at 26C. It is still too warm for the lap if you want to consider that a problem.

pbollin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2006, 05:13 PM

I have a week 39 and no problems yet, just a little warm buts that nothing new for laptops. What program do you use to determine the temperature on the macbook? Is a program installed direct from the factory?

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 10:00 PM

Week 38 here white 2.0 GHZ with 2 GB RAM downloading software updates and on Safari and I'm getting 57 degrees celsius (roughly 136 farenheit). Is that about normal?

No problems here yet. :-) it's fast.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

acoustix
Oct 4, 2006, 12:51 AM

Use "Core Duo Temp" (free)
This link mentions a problem with the stability of the temperature reporting of the Intel sensors:

123MacBook.com - Forums - View topic - MacBook's Temperature

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by bradbissell
I have a week 35. No RSS. My only issue is that the onboard cpu thermal sensor only reads temps for the first 5 minutes and then gets stuck. Only affects coreduo temp program I have running. Seems to be an Intel errata item, so that should get fixed with a bios update.
MacBooks don't use BIOS. They use EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface.)
Linkinus is king.

macitech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 10:15 PM

I originally made the first post of 10-14 C. Today it is running at 22C. There can be a varience of Temps Im seeing depending on which program im using to record the temp. I am using Intel CoreDuo which I feel doesn't give the processor Temp because I also downloaded smcFanControl which shows a Higher Temp of 26C HIGHER than Intel CoreDuo.
Doing the tests I only run Safari. I am not convinced that the latest firmware update is a true fix of the problems experienced with the early Macbooks but a band aid so the machine won't shutdown. I can be completely wrong with my conclusion,but why was Apple replacing heat sinks and logic boards unless Apple completely miss diagnosed the problem.
Peace
Rick

HowEver
Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM

Week 38 blackBook, no issues at all. Beauty.

shiff
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2006, 10:52 AM

Week 40 and, so far, have had no problems.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 28, 2006, 11:59 AM

I've had my week 33 for almost a month now, and I've beat on it (lots of iMovie exports, full processor usage for 30 minutes at a time, etc, etc). So far, no problems, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up even though my MacBook doesn't seem to run that hot.

peterauch21
Oct 30, 2006, 12:11 PM

I have a week 35 and I havent had any issues. It doesnt get to hot either. I dont have any software on it to record the temps though. I'll install one and post again with what my temps are running at.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2006, 06:54 PM

I have a week 36, it runs at 86 to 96 degrees F, and I have put it through some work as well - graphics and sound file conversions, a little video work here and there, and everything is going smooth. I am hoping for the best on the shut down deal, but I haven't had it happen to me yet. It plays Quake 4 and Unreal 2K4 just fine (since I upgraded to 2 gigs of memory). The fans rarely come on, and when they do they don't stay on for very long and don't rattle or shake or whatever. This is my first notebook, but I have owned Apples all my life.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 08:18 PM

Week 18 and runnin' great. I took a trip to my local Apple Store the day of the announcement and picked up mine after using my TiBook 667/DVI for a long 3 1/2 years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules