Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Want to buy G5, PCI-X or PCI-express?

Want to buy G5, PCI-X or PCI-express?
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 12:25 PM

I understand that the latest PowerMac G5 have PCI-express. The question is, will I need it? I want to have the G5 as a gaming machine for all my PowerPC 3D stuff and as a general working machine with a nice 2_" TFT display.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2008, 12:36 PM

The better graphics cards available are PCIe rather than AGP (which the PCI/PCI-X PowerMacs had).

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The better graphics cards available are PCIe rather than AGP (which the PCI/PCI-X PowerMacs had).
Thanks, I had actually forgotten AGP at that moment. So the fastest reasonable ATI gamer cards for the G5 would be:
AGP: Radeon X800 XT
PCIe: ATI Radeon 1900XT

Would NVIDIA be better / cheaper in any way (always had ATI cards)?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2008, 01:50 PM

The best AGP card for most uses is the X800. I don't know much about the PCIe cards. As for the choice between the two, other than MHz it depends if you believe compatible PCI cards are more plentiful on the PCI-X side or the PCIe side. I also recommend going for the non-liquid cooled models, either the 2.0 (AGP) or the 2.3 (PCIe). They're great Macs. I just installed two additional GB and an ESATA card in mine.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 12, 2008 at 02:06 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The best AGP card for most uses is the X800. I don't know much about the PCIe cards. As for the choice between the two, other than MHz it depends if you believe compatible PCI cards are more plentiful on the PCI-X side or the PCIe side.
Well, there are two (?) generations of graphic cores between the two. My guess is, for gaming the X800 masters everything but the last generation in high resolution / FSAA, whereas the X1900 will master everything.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I also recommend going for the non-liquid cooled models, either the 2.0 (AGP) or the 2.3 (PCIe). They're great Macs. I just installed two additional GB and an ESATA card in mine.
I agree about the liquid version (that was only one the old DP 2.5, right?). It's a shame I can't get an DP 2.7 or an DP2.5 with PCIe. DP DC 2.5 would be overkill, I guess.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules