Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kansas: Get Pulled & Get Fingerprinted - On The Spot

Kansas: Get Pulled & Get Fingerprinted - On The Spot
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 03:57 PM

Link

Kansas sucked before but now it really sucks.

I'll never go there...ever...not even to pass through that corn and tornado wasteland.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 04:00 PM

You gotta love your hurricane wasteland FL

-t

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 04:01 PM

We don't fingerprint people here because we pull them over.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
WTF?
We don't fingerprint people here because we pull them over you moron.
Huh ?

Yeah, but you can get legally shot by anyone who is scared. Much gooder

-t

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2006, 04:07 PM

Seems your odds of getting arrested in Kansas are very good.

"Called the Automatic Fingerprint Identification System, it is a statewide database of more than 10 million fingerprints taken from people arrested in Kansas."

Population of Kansas in 2004 = 2,735,502

2.7 million residents in the state - and 10million fingerprints of arrested citizens.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
2.7 million residents in the state - and 10million fingerprints of arrested citizens.
Maybe that's one for each finger!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Mar 22, 2006, 04:14 PM

You can get a fake drivers license, but not fake finger prints since each is so unique. So if this person comits a crime in some other state that has his finger prints on file, and they do the so-called finger print identifaction(sp) and wow he's not who he says he is and commited this crime in this state, and he's under arrest and off the streets.
- Eric

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Maybe that's one for each finger!
One arrested ?

Are you saying all these criminals have only one finger ?

-t

ambush
Banned
Mar 22, 2006, 04:55 PM

Land of the free!

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2006, 05:01 PM

+1 for a checkpoint based society.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
You gotta love your hurricane wasteland FL

-t

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Land of the free!
Because you're too ignorant to understand that there are 50 individual states, and that each state has it's own laws?

Or, are you implying that the whole US is the same? Much like, there's nothing special about Quebec, and it's just another sad part of Canada? Right?

*shrug*
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Mar 22, 2006, 05:22 PM

It took the FBI four months to come back with the results of my fingerprints when I acquired my insurance license. That would be a long time to be detained...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2006, 05:27 PM

I happen to love the idea. Yes, I love it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 05:46 PM

If you don't have fingerprints (like, you burned all your finger tips)... what do they print instead? Teeth? (seriously)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
Mar 22, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If you don't have fingerprints (like, you burned all your finger tips)... what do they print instead? Teeth? (seriously)
There was a mention of palm prints...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
The scarring on your fingers is likely to be unique. The print from my right pinky is not at all like a normal fingerprint - it's somewhat of a scaly pattern. No clue why - don't recall any injury and neither do my folks. Also have two purple dots under the skin on that finger.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Link

Kansas sucked before but now it really sucks.

I'll never go there...ever...not even to pass through that corn and tornado wasteland.

Go fsck yourself princess.

macroy
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 12:17 AM

What's so bad about it? Its just a different way of identifying you. In fact, its not even that. Unless you've been fingerprinted for one reason or another, it's actually just a way to clear you.

Its funny how when you take something like this and use if for every day access control - folks are like "wow, cool".... but put it in a law enforcement type of use - it becomes "WTF!?!?! they can't do that. It invades my privacy".

Yea - there are inherent flaws with biometric systems; but aside from that, I like it.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Mar 23, 2006, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Because you're too ignorant to understand that there are 50 individual states, and that each state has it's own laws?

Or, are you implying that the whole US is the same? Much like, there's nothing special about Quebec, and it's just another sad part of Canada? Right?

*shrug*
God, you are an ignorant ****wad!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by macroy
What's so bad about it? Its just a different way of identifying you. In fact, its not even that. Unless you've been fingerprinted for one reason or another, it's actually just a way to clear you.

Its funny how when you take something like this and use if for every day access control - folks are like "wow, cool".... but put it in a law enforcement type of use - it becomes "WTF!?!?! they can't do that. It invades my privacy".

Yea - there are inherent flaws with biometric systems; but aside from that, I like it.
Because there are significant statistics regarding wrongful convictions, there are "dirty cops", etc. While I believe that in general, the police and the legal system intend to do good, the reality is that they don't always do it. We, as citizens, need to maintain a reasonable level of precaution to avoid a situation where we become completely at the mercy of people in power, whether they be the president, legistlators, police, or anyone.

The history of the world is full of power abuse. That's basically what you learned about in history class. The next time someone takes out a large US building, we're going to get the Patriot Act 2.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
One arrested ?

Are you saying all these criminals have only one finger ?

-t
10 million fingerprints = 1 million people with 10 fingers

And those one fingered criminals have 90% less evidence to leave. Those bastards!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 08:15 AM

Hamsternated!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 23, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4
Go fsck yourself princess.
Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
God, you are an ignorant ****wad!
http://www.mentalhealth.com/

Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 08:47 AM

Go Red States!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
You can get a fake drivers license, but not fake finger prints since each is so unique.
False.

T. Matsumoto, H. Matsumoto, K. Yamada, S. Hoshino, "Impact of Artificial Gummy Fingers on Fingerprint Systems," Proceedings of SPIE Vol. #4677, Optical Security and Counterfeit Deterrence Techniques IV, 2002.

----

Tsutomu Matsumoto, a Japanese cryptographer, recently decided to look at biometric fingerprint devices. These are security systems that attempt to identify people based on their fingerprint. For years the companies selling these devices have claimed that they are very secure, and that it is almost impossible to fool them into accepting a fake finger as genuine. Matsumoto, along with his students at the Yokohama National University, showed that they can be reliably fooled with a little ingenuity and $10 worth of household supplies.

Matsumoto uses gelatin, the stuff that Gummi Bears are made out of. First he takes a live finger and makes a plastic mold. (He uses a free-molding plastic used to make plastic molds, and is sold at hobby shops.) Then he pours liquid gelatin into the mold and lets it harden. (The gelatin comes in solid sheets, and is used to make jellied meats, soups, and candies, and is sold in grocery stores.) This gelatin fake finger fools fingerprint detectors about 80% of the time.

His more interesting experiment involves latent fingerprints. He takes a fingerprint left on a piece of glass, enhances it with a cyanoacrylate adhesive, and then photographs it with a digital camera. Using PhotoShop, he improves the contrast and prints the fingerprint onto a transparency sheet. Then, he takes a photo-sensitive printed-circuit board (PCB) and uses the fingerprint transparency to etch the fingerprint into the copper, making it three-dimensional. (You can find photo-sensitive PCBs, along with instructions for use, in most electronics hobby shops.) Finally, he makes a gelatin finger using the print on the PCB. This also fools fingerprint detectors about 80% of the time.

Gummy fingers can even fool sensors being watched by guards. Simply form the clear gelatin finger over your own. This lets you hide it as you press your own finger onto the sensor. After it lets you in, eat the evidence.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 10:54 AM

Hi Cody it is very sad. It just seems that the PC crowd is infiltrating the entire country. Elections are going to be critical in November, It will decided what kind of country we want to live.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
It's no use, he's a lost cause.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Hi Cody it is very sad. It just seems that the PC crowd is infiltrating the entire country. Elections are going to be critical in November, It will decided what kind of country we want to live.

You better believe OBL is pulling for the GOP

Forum Links
Forum Rules