Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do self-appointed forum mods need order to all aspects of life?

Do self-appointed forum mods need order to all aspects of life?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:30 PM

This thread is directed towards those who love to jump into threads to indicate to people that they are breaching the forums' sacred rules...

Why?

I can understand the arguments of having some order and organization to the tech spaces of a forum like this. Fine. However, this lounge is not a technical resource.

Do the non-mods that jump in and try to police threads feel like a sense of order and organization is important with everything in life, and perhaps feel compelled to force this upon others? I know this sounds like a loaded question and/or perhaps troll-like, but this is the best theory I've come up with, and I've given this some thought.

A lounge is, by definition, a place to hang out... to kill some time.... to recreate... like getting together with some buddies in your living room, right? Do you complain to your buddies that they aren't hanging out properly? That they aren't entertaining you adequately? That they are breaching protocol?

The funny part to me is, I interpret pointing out these breaches as the poster saying "you have inconvenienced me". Well, what could be more of an inconvenience than taking the time to post about it? Wouldn't it be easier to simply move on?

The ironic part of this post will be, I'm sure people will complain that I'm breaching some sort of protocol and this should go in Feedback, or I'm trolling, or I haven't filled out the right forms. I'm posting this here because this is not a suggestion directed to the MacNN mods, but a question to you about this basic internet cultural thing that not only exists here but elsewhere as well. The question is: why?

Could somebody please enlighten me?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:36 PM

No threads about other posters.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:39 PM

Hi besson3c, I think that there should be forum etiquette in the Lounge. It is best to try to be polite. Instead of anger it's best to agree to disagree. All of our members are here because they enjoy the place. Always should be treated with respect.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:41 PM

Yes.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Hi besson3c, I think that there should be forum etiquette in the Lounge. It is best to try to be polite. Instead of anger it's best to agree to disagree. All of our members are here because they enjoy the place. Always should be treated with respect.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T.. find out what it means to me!

Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
ohhh!!
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me
Sock it to me

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
No threads about other posters.

But.... butttt... I filled out the pink form!!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
But.... butttt... I filled out the pink form!!

We are very lucky that we have members like you and Cody on MacNN. Good friends are important in life. Something to be valued.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:54 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:54 PM

Perhaps my sequel to this thread will be why people enjoy "timelineing" others, as if there is some prerequisite set of sites on the internet that all the cool kids simply have to know about?

Perhaps while you are enlightening me, you can help me out here too, pretty please?

Thanks...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by nredman

The ironic part of this post will be, I'm sure people will complain that I'm breaching some sort of protocol and this should go in Feedback, or I'm trolling, or I haven't filled out the right forms. I'm posting this here because this is not a suggestion directed to the MacNN mods, but a question to you about this basic internet cultural thing that not only exists here but elsewhere as well. The question is: why?
I hope this clarifies my position. Would you mind clarifying yours?

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 10:16 PM

This thread is directed towards those who love to jump into threads to indicate to people that they are breaching the forums' sacred rules...

Why?

I can understand the arguments of having some order and organization to the tech spaces of a forum like this. Fine. However, this lounge is not a technical resource.

Do the non-mods that jump in and try to police threads feel like a sense of order and organization is important with everything in life, and perhaps feel compelled to force this upon others? I know this sounds like a loaded question and/or perhaps troll-like, but this is the best theory I've come up with, and I've given this some thought.

A lounge is, by definition, a place to hang out... to kill some time.... to recreate... like getting together with some buddies in your living room, right? Do you complain to your buddies that they aren't hanging out properly? That they aren't entertaining you adequately? That they are breaching protocol?

The funny part to me is, I interpret pointing out these breaches as the poster saying "you have inconvenienced me". Well, what could be more of an inconvenience than taking the time to post about it? Wouldn't it be easier to simply move on?

Could somebody please enlighten me?

Hope this helps,

F.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT

Hope this helps,

F.

I've met my match? I'm flaming? People are trying to flame others? Fire is the answer? Don't touch fire, you'll burn yourself? Little wood sticks are flammable? I'm fired?

Anxious for a satisfying answer to my original question.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2006, 10:28 PM

Anyone else see the irony in this thread?

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 10:36 PM

I've met my match? I'm flaming? People are trying to flame others? Fire is the answer? Don't touch fire, you'll burn yourself? Little wood sticks are flammable? I'm fired?

Anxious for a satisfying answer to my original question.
Hmmm.... Sorry. I really thought you needed a light.

Back to your original question, there are such beings as vigilantes. They are like that angel hovering (from "over") over (see?) your shoulder and tell you to do the right thing.

Now, these guardian-angels are free. And that counts. Well that is my opinion anyway. Like any ideas, they are up in the air for grabs, and no one as to take them.

In the end, people have the power other people let them have. If you give them attention, they get rewarded for their action, and you get sucked up in the vicious circle of those people coming back at you for more.

Or you can turn your back and ignore them. Or play their game and try to get benefit from it.

See, we can communicate, or metacommunicate (communicate about the communication). When we mix these up, people still have to understand the rules of engagement. They also have to agree on these rules (to communicate and metacommunicate at the same time). Unfortunately, many won't.

What I am trying to say here is, you can have an exchange, and then, have an exchange about the exchange. But that works is people agree to do that. Your post is metacommunicative, i.e., about the communication modes in this fora. The usual place would be at the feedback forum, but they allow communication about communication as long as it involves the mods. Your point here is in regard of people who self-appoint themselves mods.

But it is likely that not many recognize themselves as such, since the retroaction they provide is understood as a service to the community. Not that much different from someone asking someone else to pick up his garbage and put it in the trash.

Of course, that does not resolve your issue, but then, how could it be, since freedom is about going in and out of boundaries, crossing borders of our mutual freedoms. People set their limits, but those limits are relative to the limits of others.

And then, there are those who say there can only be right or wrong. But funny enough, not one of those guys will agree on the same difinition of what constitute these absolute.

So you can debate on that issue until Kingdom come, but you will never get satisfaction.

I guess the only thing you can do is watch and observe.

My 2 cents.

PS: As Railroader points out, you metacommunicating, is equivalent to a self-appointment as a mod.

Cheerios!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 11:19 PM

eye bee ell

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 12:44 AM

As much as it chaps mah ayess to have some self appointed mod try to maintain THEIR sense of order I prefer that over the hammer of a locked thread. Some amount of self discipline is not a bad thing. At least you can debate them without incurring significant wrath. And sometimes they are right and I will abide their admonishments.

I get the irony but I'm choosing to ignore it.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by abe
As much as it chaps mah ayess to have some self appointed mod try to maintain THEIR sense of order I prefer that over the hammer of a locked thread. Some amount of self discipline is not a bad thing. At least you can debate them without incurring significant wrath. And sometimes they are right and I will abide their admonishments.

I get the irony but I'm choosing to ignore it.

When it comes to somebody being flat-out out-of-line, sure. However, this isn't what I'm talking about.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Mar 24, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader

[img]stupid picture[/img]
What a sad post.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 01:21 AM

When it comes to somebody being flat-out out-of-line, sure. However, this isn't what I'm talking about.
Ok, let me try again.

Yes. There are people who come into a joke thread, for example and say things like:

"Meh. That's not funny."

But they won't bother themselves to post what THEY think as funny.

These people have been conditioned by their parents to kiss their young asses.

Well, I am conditioned to verbally mistreat their asses.

They are spoiled brats.

Did I understand correctly this time?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Ok, let me try again.

Yes. There are people who come into a joke thread, for example and say things like:

"Meh. That's not funny."

But they won't bother themselves to post what THEY think as funny.

These people have been conditioned by their parents to kiss their young asses.

Well, I am conditioned to verbally mistreat their asses.

They are spoiled brats.

Did I understand correctly this time?

No. This isn't about people being rude to one another (although there is always plenty of room for improvement here too). Where did you get this idea?

Being conditioned to verbally mistreat people perhaps explains your crappy moods you have every once you act upon in the PL.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 01:47 AM

No. This isn't about people being rude to one another (although there is always plenty of room for improvement here too). Where did you get this idea?
Out me bum, I'm beginning to think.

mrcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2006, 02:01 AM

make dcolton a mod!

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrcolton
make dcolton a mod!
Would a vote do any good?

EDIT: Ooops! Apparently not!

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 08:13 AM

Yeah it's been going on for awhile though. And has been pointed out.

ambush
Banned
Mar 24, 2006, 09:28 AM

Our 2 favorite officers.... K.... and R.....
Let's hear it for them!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2006, 11:50 AM

You don't get the irony either do you ambush? I am not telling anyone to do anything on the forums... you however have some dishes to do don't you?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 24, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
What a sad post.
What a sad poster who was banninated.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
Our 2 favorite officers.... K.... and R.....
Let's hear it for them!

Ignore lists are Gods best creation.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Ignore lists are Gods best creation.

True, although sometimes we have random and sporadic officers that jump in at the helm.

The point of this thread is simply trying to find out WHY people do this, I realize that I can't make it stop happening, nor do I want to attempt to tell people what they ought to do.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 12:30 PM

you however have some dishes to do don't you?

The point of this thread is simply trying to find out WHY people do this,
I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
(Na na na, na na na, na na, na nah)

BTW this thread should have went in the "Feedback" section.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 12:33 PM

True, although sometimes we have random and sporadic officers that jump in at the helm.

The point of this thread is simply trying to find out WHY people do this, I realize that I can't make it stop happening, nor do I want to attempt to tell people what they ought to do.
Trust me... Jesus loves Ignore lists.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Trust me... Jesus loves Ignore lists.

I guess his endorsement was good enough for you?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 12:50 PM

I guess his endorsement was good enough for you?
Oh ya, even Jesus has ignore list..... EVERYONE

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 01:14 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 02:30 PM

The only place I do the duties of a mod is the marketplace. It's annoying when people don't post an asking price and as long as I refer them to the rules I don't see a problem with this. I don't bother every poster about including the proper FS/WTB just asking prices.

When I find posts in the wrong forum I usually answer the question and then remind them of where it would be better suited (as was already done above here).

Self moderation is good. If the people here don't give the mods extra work, we have a chance that they can keep up with the unending spam threads.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
The only place I do the duties of a mod is the marketplace. It's annoying when people don't post an asking price and as long as I refer them to the rules I don't see a problem with this. I don't bother every poster about including the proper FS/WTB just asking prices.

When I find posts in the wrong forum I usually answer the question and then remind them of where it would be better suited (as was already done above here).

Self moderation is good. If the people here don't give the mods extra work, we have a chance that they can keep up with the unending spam threads.

Right, but if you're responding to my original post, this isn't about forum sections that also double as a valuable resource for members.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 04:03 PM

I'll tell you what I like about Chinese people...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 04:10 PM

Perhaps my sequel to this thread will be why people enjoy "timelineing" others, as if there is some prerequisite set of sites on the internet that all the cool kids simply have to know about?

Perhaps while you are enlightening me, you can help me out here too, pretty please?

Thanks...
My dad sent me the link to that cool Honda commercial last week (you know, the dominos like one). He was like a year late. My first instinct was to timeline him.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 04:47 PM

This thread is bound for infamy.

Hey besson3c, you totally rule.

Too bad I've got to go out of town for the night because this thread is going to be a lot of fun.

Maybe I can catch up a little later on, though.

to you, my friend.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 04:48 PM

Awesome.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 05:41 PM

I hope this clarifies my position. Would you mind clarifying yours?
not really thanks

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
My dad sent me the link to that cool Honda commercial last week (you know, the dominos like one). He was like a year late. My first instinct was to timeline him.
That'd be great.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 06:13 PM

Right, but if you're responding to my original post, this isn't about forum sections that also double as a valuable resource for members.
I wonder how many of us THINK we understand exactly what you mean.

I wonder how many of us are correct or incorrect in our assumption.

I wonder how many of us KNOW we don't understand what you mean but we don't care.

I wonder if it would somehow spoil this neutral, nebulous notion that EVERYONE can be right by simply remaining vague and allowing whoever to think your thread is about whatever.

Care to offer ANOTHER (?) example of what you meant in the o.p.?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 06:31 PM

In no particular order:

- Rule 8 violation catchers
- People worried about what is classified as silly content
- People overly concerned about what forum is the best for the post when it is a gray area
- People who jump on others for "blogging" (although I don't know if this is a rule of some sort)
- Timeliners (although this isn't a rule AFAIK)
- People upset because somebody said "hi"
- People quick to point out a thread about somebody else (when they aren't attacking this person or casting them in a negative light)
- People worried about whether lounge discussions should be appended to existing threads

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 07:02 PM

Another one: people splitting hairs over a signature size that is just a little too oversized.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 07:09 PM

I don't know what to say except this: It is freaking annoying to have the, "let's chat", "I love you" posts in a thread that is actually going somewhere. Yeah, I know that I could scroll down, but honestly it just pisses me off to see the same stupid posts over and over again. It was funny at first but now it is to the point that I just feel angry when I see those. I can't explain it, I just think it is worthless. The strange thing is that I know I have worthless posts too and someone, somewhere is pissed at me too.

In conclusion, the plus one, "let's chat" posts are totally annoying now and I wish they would stop.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 07:23 PM

besson you do realize by making this thread and those demands, you are being just like the people you are complaining about right?

You just want people to follow YOUR particular demands.

I am not complaining either way. But I don't see how you can't see this. :/

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 24, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
besson you do realize by making this thread and those demands, you are being just like the people you are complaining about right?

You just want people to follow YOUR particular demands.

I am not complaining either way. But I don't see how you can't see this. :/
LOL

- Burt

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
I don't know what to say except this: It is freaking annoying to have the, "let's chat", "I love you" posts in a thread that is actually going somewhere. Yeah, I know that I could scroll down, but honestly it just pisses me off to see the same stupid posts over and over again. It was funny at first but now it is to the point that I just feel angry when I see those. I can't explain it, I just think it is worthless. The strange thing is that I know I have worthless posts too and someone, somewhere is pissed at me too.

In conclusion, the plus one, "let's chat" posts are totally annoying now and I wish they would stop.
Oh, those don't bother me all that much. Even though I can understand your annoyance, think of it in a kindly way. When nature denies you a full allowance of, or access to a healthy spectrum of thought and reason you should fairly be given an opportunity to communicate given your existing abilities and inclinations.

Those folks are nice enough and they don't do much harm. To me it's like:

or

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 08:25 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules