Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gas Guzzling Celebrity Hypocrites

Gas Guzzling Celebrity Hypocrites (Page 2)
Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 09:54 AM

I agree, Gossamer. Rednecks do use a lot of gasoline. Rednecks are also both conservatives and Democrats.

When I say liberal elitists I mean the tree-hugging smug liberal elitists who are mentioned in the article specifically. People like Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Sean Penn. Sean Penn flying down to Louisiana to "save" people in a sinking row boat last year - in a private jet - is a great example of Hollywood hypocrisy.

That's why the article is great. These people use more energy on their huge (multiple) homes and private jets than the common person - yet proselytize about how "the common person" should do what they can to conserve energy.

I mean, give me a break, you know?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones View Post
Here's his official website by the way. Have a gander. You may have different opinion of him after.

http://www.leonardodicaprio.com/
There is a variety of educational and fun Eco-Music available for kids (and anyone who enjoys music) by both well-known musicians and new artists.

While you are listening and singing Eco songs, play along with musical instruments you make yourself with… what else?
Recycled materials, of course!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg View Post
I agree, Gossamer. Rednecks do use a lot of gasoline. Rednecks are also both conservatives and Democrats.

When I say liberal elitists I mean the tree-hugging smug liberal elitists who are mentioned in the article specifically. People like Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Sean Penn. Sean Penn flying down to Louisiana to "save" people in a sinking row boat last year - in a private jet - is a great example of Hollywood hypocrisy.

That's why the article is great. These people use more energy on their huge (multiple) homes and private jets than the common person - yet proselytize about how "the common person" should do what they can to conserve energy.

I mean, give me a break, you know?

Why do celebrities fascinate you and simultaneously upset you so?

If you don't like Liberals, and you think that most celebrities are Liberal, why pay attention to them? Why do you care about them?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
It's just Cody trying to polarize everything. What about the conservative rednecks with their 80s
Camaros getting 15mpg? You can't blame a political group for using the most gasoline...that's just ridiculous.
Well, that's exactly right. Rather than pointing out specific examples of idiocies committed (no political, religious or national group has a monopoly on stupidity) it's all polarization and generalization.

"Republicans are warmongers and don't care about the environment"
"Liberal Hollywood actors are hypocrites"

Does nobody realize how idiotic this kind of behaviour is?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Well, that's exactly right. Rather than pointing out specific examples of idiocies committed (no political, religious or national group has a monopoly on stupidity) it's all polarization and generalization.

"Republicans are warmongers and don't care about the environment"
"Liberal Hollywood actors are hypocrites"

Does nobody realize how idiotic this kind of behaviour is?

Some do, some other relevant parties don't.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 12:00 PM

Yes, but I cared about the Esther thread, didn't I, Mastrap?

How is she, anyway?

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:02 PM

hahahaha. I always liked the Prius. It's the Prius' owners that I have a problem with. smug anyone?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre Capretz II View Post
hahahaha. I always liked the Prius. It's the Prius' owners that I have a problem with. smug anyone?
Thaaaaanks. Good for yooooouuu.

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:13 PM

dp sorry

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:15 PM

Thaaaaanks. Good for yooooouuu.
thanks lothar. here is a paperclip for you to play with

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:17 PM

thanks lothar. here is a paperclip for you to play with
I'm mildly confused. Yes, that is my old handle. I don't get any other part of your post though.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by :XI: View Post
Automotive Energy

I think this is the report.

Try not to pronounce things as 'FUD' because you can't be bothered to look.
From the report:

Mr. Spinella said SUVs need less energy than hybrids because the larger vehicles are made with simpler, less expensive materials and have a "tremendously long lifetime." The typical consumer pays about 10 percent of a vehicle’s total energy cost over that vehicle’s lifetime, he said.

But Ms. Knight, of Toyota, said hybrids use less energy in the "cradle to grave life cycle." She said studies at MIT and elsewhere have concluded that most of the energy used by a vehicle is in the driving stage, but Mr. Spinella gives far too much weight to what’s used in manufacture.

"Hybrids do consume a little more energy in the manufacturing process, but they overwhelmingly win that back in the driving stage by using less fuel and producing fewer emissions," she said.

Ms. Knight also said Mr. Spinella’s "extremely wrong, off the mark" when it comes to disposing of batteries.

"He argues batteries aren’t recycled, which is not true," she said. "We’ve had recycling programs in place since we made the (small SUV) Rav4 EV, a fully electric vehicle, in 1998. "There are services clamoring to sign up to recycle these batteries — metal to plastics to the steel case; they’re recyclable."
Also, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is WAY down the list, not anywhere close to being in the top 10.

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:20 PM

I'm mildly confused. Yes, that is my old handle. I don't get any other part of your post though.
well at least you are in your comfort zone.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Hippie is as hippie does.
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You're making less sense than usual, Doofy, but you're being just as a big of a prick as usual.

I personally have probably chopped hundreds of trees into bits, I get around 17-19 MPG when I'm not carrying a load in my 4x4. I smoke cigarrettes and throw them out my truck window. I despise Neo-Hippies because they are idiots that don't live in reality.

Normally I wouldn't let you get to me, but you seem to have it in your head that just because I disagree with you I must be a hippy. Yet more evidence of your black & white approach to understanding people. Perhaps you should pull your head out of that dark region near your scrotum and accept that people can disagree with you without being a hippy.

I have no hope you'll change though, I await an equally silly response to this reply as before.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:33 PM

well at least you are in your comfort zone.
You are weird.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What the hell is that supposed to mean? You're making less sense than usual, Doofy, but you're being just as a big of a prick as usual.

I personally have probably chopped hundreds of trees into bits, I get around 17-19 MPG when I'm not carrying a load in my 4x4. I smoke cigarrettes and throw them out my truck window. I despise Neo-Hippies because they are idiots that don't live in reality.

Normally I wouldn't let you get to me, but you seem to have it in your head that just because I disagree with you I must be a hippy. Yet more evidence of your black & white approach to understanding people. Perhaps you should pull your head out of that dark region near your scrotum and accept that people can disagree with you without being a hippy.

I have no hope you'll change though, I await an equally silly response to this reply as before.
Dude, I can't help it if you don't have a sense of humour. Hey, we know another bunch of people who don't have a sense of humour, don't we? That's right... ...hippies.

Call me a "doomsayer" and I'll call you a hippie. It's that easy. Go re-read the thread, hippie, and then get back to me when you've figured out who started this little spat.

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:35 PM

You are weird.
No, i'm Pierre. Mildly confused is putting it mildly, in your case.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 12:36 PM

Capretz? More liek Crap-etz.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 12:38 PM

Dude, I can't help it if you don't have a sense of humour. Hey, we know another bunch of people who don't have a sense of humour, don't we? That's right... ...hippies.

Call me a "doomsayer" and I'll call you a hippie. It's that easy. Go re-read the thread, hippie, and then get back to me when you've figured out who started this little spat.
Me not having a sense of humor, that's rich.

Maybe you lack humor, which would make it impossible for me to sense it.

You made an obvious claim that newer technology takes more energy to make than existing mass-produced technology (d'uh) I called you on it and then your only retort was to call me a hippy.

Well done.

Pierre Capretz II
Oct 26, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Capretz? More liek Crap-etz.

so mean.

A tear was shed

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:44 PM

Me not having a sense of humor, that's rich.

Maybe you lack humor, which would make it impossible for me to sense it.

You made an obvious claim that newer technology takes more energy to make than existing mass-produced technology (d'uh) I called you on it and then your only retort was to call me a hippy.

Well done.
You win the thread!

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

HIPPIE on a gas propelled penis.

( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Oct 26, 2006 at 01:03 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 12:48 PM

Illiterate too. Look carefully - check the "s" at the end of the word "hippie". I was calling everyone hippies. But for some reason you took it to heart and found it very personal. Why is that, I wonder? Doth the lady protest too much?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM

Illiterate too. Look carefully - check the "s" at the end of the word "hippie". I was calling everyone hippies. But for some reason you took it to heart and found it very personal. Why is that, I wonder? Doth the lady protest too much?
Ah, good to see that you are humble in defeat.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Ah, good to see that you are humble in defeat.
De only defeat I know is de ones connected to delegs.

Shut demouth, hippie.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 01:12 PM

Now I'm laughing over "dis heah hip-eye" thread!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2006, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Gossamer;3181413]Didn't WDLove get a bunch of posts deleted after posted stupid crap to Cody?
/QUOTE]
Probably.
I dont like deleting posts though.
we don't have time to stop for gas

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 04:42 PM

Well, jokes are hard to understand over NN, perhaps next time a winky face should be used.

Also, if everyone is a hippie, does that mean you are too Doofy? Should I bring over some incense and a sitar and just FREAK out all night?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
You win the thread!
OMG! I rulez at teh interwebs!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 06:33 PM

Check out this hippy:

sek929
Posting Junkie