Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WD2002FAEX Caviar Black, OK for Mac Pro 1,1 ?

WD2002FAEX Caviar Black, OK for Mac Pro 1,1 ?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 02:39 AM

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb

Is it compatible with the first generation of Mac Pro?

My logic says it might be usable but of course the Mac Pro 1,1 controller will not be up to WD hard disk performance.

So, would make more sense to get a slower WD Caviar Green hard disk?, I think those 'green' HDs run at 5400rpm and peak at 7200rpmā€¦ not sure if I would like that. What would you do?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 04:31 AM

It should work just fine. You won't get 6Gbps out of it but then thats true of even the current Mac Pros since they were released before the SATA3 controllers started shipping back in January. I doubt it would saturate 6Gbps anyway, its not an SSD.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
SATA3 controllers
No.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 11:52 AM

Whatever

Its not like my whole post was ambiguous because of this. I mentioned 6Gbps twice.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Jul 11, 2011, 01:00 PM

No, it'll work just fine. Also, I wouldn't worry about performance: the only time when you could potentially measure a difference is if all of the data you want to read is in the cache or you write to the cache, but do not exceed the cache size.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2011, 01:38 PM

Sounds like a good choice.

And as for naming conventions, I have to side a bit with mduell here. If we get sloppy with what something is called, we invite marketers and scammers to take advantage of us. No such thing as "SATA3," but if the term gets traction, you'll see it all over the place, and applied to no knowing what sort of stuff-only that it won't be SATA 3.0 anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2011, 02:28 PM

I've already seen it all over the place.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2011, 07:30 AM

...doesn't make it right that it's already being misused. Being a professional communicator all my life, I just try to keep my terminology clear and as precise as possible. Not that I don't mess it up with how I put those terms together, at least now and then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2011, 07:42 AM

Hah. Ever do much messing around with DNS using different domain registrars/ISPs? That is the biggest clusterf**k I have ever seen in terms of terminology abuse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules