Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System taking too much memory. Blast from the past.

System taking too much memory. Blast from the past.
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 09:27 AM

Not kidding.

Has it been the same all along.? I don't recall good old Mac OS being a RAM eater, the only thing I could remotely think of is Virtual Memory but that's deactivated. So, having ruled that out, what else could it be.? Macintosh is a G4 MDD 1,25GHz with 2 GB RAM.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 10:10 AM

Haha yeah, blast from the past. It definitely didn't eat RAM like that. Are you running Classic or direct 9.2 boot?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Aug 9, 2011, 10:36 AM

Should be a native boot, right? I seem to remember that Classic always gave you 1 GB of RAM, not matter how much real memory your box had.

Some googling reveals several sources claiming that OS 9 "only" supports 1.5 GB of RAM. That would mean that the OS actually uses just over 100 megs - still a lot, but not absurd - and is just hiding the rest because it cannot be used..
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Some googling reveals several sources claiming that OS 9 "only" supports 1.5 GB of RAM. That would mean that the OS actually uses just over 100 megs - still a lot, but not absurd - and is just hiding the rest because it cannot be used..
That's correct.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 9, 2011, 11:28 AM

Up to 1.5 GB can be assigned for general use. You can declare a RAM disk for the remaining 512 MB.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2011, 11:53 AM

Silly me, didn't even think about the fact that you couldn't get that About This Mac window if in Classic.

It's funny to think about Mac OS 9 not being able to use more than 1.5 GB. Times do change.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 12:16 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch. In all honest didn't expect too many replies and less in such a short time span. Knowledge shows !!!

Are you running Classic or direct 9.2 boot?
Should be a native boot, right?
It is indeed a native 9.2 boot. Out of boredom.

Some googling reveals several sources claiming that OS 9 "only" supports 1.5 GB of RAM. That would mean that the OS actually uses just over 100 megs - still a lot, but not absurd - and is just hiding the rest because it cannot be used.
Thanks for the research I should have done. To confirm this, I booted up my old Yosemite G3 with 1 GB RAM. This is what 'About This Computer' says on the G3. I understand this reflects what P says.

Up to 1.5 GB can be assigned for general use. You can declare a RAM disk for the remaining 512 MB.
Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules