Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" revB and DVD-RW?

12" revB and DVD-RW?
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 09:07 PM

I'm having a heck of a time with DVD-RW on my 12" RevB (superdrive reported by system profiler as MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816, rev DXJ3, drive type: CD-RW/DVD-RW).

I picked up a 5 pack of Memorex DVD-RW 1-2x discs and they just don't want to work with the superdrive.

Here are the errors I get with various programs:

Finder
selecting open with finder from the "you have inserted a blank DVD" dialog and naming the new DVD returns:
Burning the disc failed because this type of CD is not supported. (Error code 0x80020043)

Disk Utility
attempt to full erase:
goes OK, but then shows it as a read-only DVD-ROM

attempt to burn a 40MB image:
The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry

drive info with blank DVD-RW in:
Total Capacity: 0 Bytes
Write Ability: Read Only (DVD-RW)

Toast 6 Titanium
attempt to burn:
The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
Sense Code = 0x03, 0x01

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x04

The disc failed to be written

attempt to full erase:
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x51
ERASE FAILURE

iDVD also retuns an error at the point after it generates all the menus and starts burning.

Also, I am on 10.3.2. I've not tried burning DVD-RWs before but I've burnt a DVD-R on here before in 10.2.8 with no problems.

I've read that memorex DVD-RWs are not the best, but I can't even format any of them let alone write anything. This is rediculous.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 12:59 PM

I've used imation DVD-RW and successfully burn at 1X using Toast 5.2.3. Let me try it with Toast 6.0.3 later on to confirm if that is any problem.

What speed did you burn at?
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by phantomo:
I've used imation DVD-RW and successfully burn at 1X using Toast 5.2.3. Let me try it with Toast 6.0.3 later on to confirm if that is any problem.

What speed did you burn at?
Only speed that shows is 1x because the superdrives in the powerbook are restricted from burning at 2x with DVD-RW.. I think its 2x DVD-R and 1x DVD-RW. The discs are 1x-2x speed and the superdrive is *supposed* to be compadible with new 2x DVD-RW discs.

I've read good reports with Maxell DVD-RWs. I'm gonna pick up a pack of those and see if I have better luck with them.

I'm not used to this "only certain brands of media will work" crap. Before I switched to Mac, I had a plextor in my PC that was a beast and would take anything you fed it with a smile.

*side note* you pay $2K for a machine, you think Apple would be able to put a better optical drive in. Love this machine, and so far the "superdrive" is the only thing to disappoint me.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 03:11 PM

There is no doubt that Macs are pickier about optical media than PCs. I burn CDs in both my iBook and two of my WinXP PCs and the Mac is more likely to reject a CD. I don't know whether it is OSX or something in the Mac firmware but I don't think it has anything to do with the types of drives they choose (which are used in PCs as well and are among the better drives there).

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
There is no doubt that Macs are pickier about optical media than PCs. I burn CDs in both my iBook and two of my WinXP PCs and the Mac is more likely to reject a CD. I don't know whether it is OSX or something in the Mac firmware but I don't think it has anything to do with the types of drives they choose (which are used in PCs as well and are among the better drives there).
I agree...it seems Apple's OS is the problem...PC's are superior in this area which should be an embarresment for Apple.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 06:30 PM

I got some TDK 2X DVD-RWs today and they seem to be working.

burning them in Toast was successful except for one file which the permissions for were set wrong and I did not realize before I started burning.

Burning one with iDVD now, so far so good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules