Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problems with Apple Store Repair

Problems with Apple Store Repair
TheFake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2004, 02:37 AM

I got my 15" refurb, perfect in every way except the left shift key. it only worked some of the time, and then only when pressing right in the middle and rather firmly. I was extremely reluctant to bring it in, after hearing all of the stories about going to repair shops and coming back with more imperfections, but I finally gave in. I took it in, and they had a spare keyboard in stock, might even be done same day. Awesome.

I get a call the next morning saying the part was actually bad and now they have to order the part, so it will be another day. Alright, fine. My separation anxiety is only mild.

The next morning I get a call saying the part is in, I just have to bring in my powerbook to get repaired.

What?

They look around and manage to find my powerbook. Whew.

I get a call that night saying it's ready. I go in to pick it up, and suddenly I see all the things people had been mentioning. slight gap above superdrive that pushes together, but doesn't squeak. and the keyboard is lifting up on the bottom right. I push it down and it goes down, flush with the left. But now the right side of the keyboard doesn't feel as sturdy. It feels kind of plastic and isn't as silent now. Keys have a little leeway to move and click. Not to mention that side pushes down some whenever i press a key on that side, especially the K, L, or spacebar.

At least my shift key works. But now I'm wondering if I should send it in to apple before the 30 day mark to have these slight imperfections taken care of, or even if they would. I can totally live with these, but it certainly makes the brand new book feel cheaper. Not to mention I can barely stand the thought of sending it off again.

Opinions?

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2004, 10:37 AM

Personally, if you can live with it, I would. I recently had a dim spot on my screen and sent it in, and got a brand new flawless screen. But it came back with the display open, and the upper left foot crooked. I pushed the display together, but the upper left foot is like diagonally stuck in. And there is a little scratch mark up there. I brought it to the store, and they said they can ship it away. I said no thanks!

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 11:19 AM

I hate to say it, but this is why I would not suggest getting a refurb. All you're doing is inheriting someone else's problem. I hope they fix it and it stays fixed, but those QA issues are ones you're probably going to have to live with as a trade-off for the money you saved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules