Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard reinstallation blues

Leopard reinstallation blues
BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2009, 08:11 PM

First of all, I couldn't find anything relevant here or through goggle searches, so I apologize if there is a solution out there already.

So I have a 3.06 dual core 24" iMac running 10.5.7. I need to reinstall the OS but my original reinstall disk is apparently damaged... install failed a number of times. I tried to restore it via disk utility to a spare firewire 400 external to no avail. I have an .iso of a Leopard install disk that I restored to the firewire drive with disk utility, but when I boot from it, I get the grey circle of impatience for a while followed by the grey veil of fail that says you have to manually shut down.

Any suggestions? Thanks
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

ibook_steve
Jul 28, 2009, 08:28 PM

Contact Apple or an Apple store. See if you can get replacement disks. That's probably the simplest solution.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Contact Apple or an Apple store. See if you can get replacement disks. That's probably the simplest solution.

Steve
Depending on how long you've had the computer, you might have to pay for the discs. Sometimes pleading politely helps though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2009, 12:47 PM

Just ordered some on Monday....they are $16 each plus tax. Worked out to $34 and change.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2009, 11:31 PM

Funny, I got one for free when I tried reinstalling Leopard but couldn't since 10.5.0 didn't have nVidia 8800GT drivers. I called Apple and they mailed me on next day...I don't have a warranty or AppleCare either.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2009, 06:22 AM

Seems a shame that you had to pay $34 now, and an extra $29 when Snow Leopard comes out next month.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2009, 11:17 AM

Won't buy SL until at least the .1 or .2 updates are available.

The ironic thing is that I found the Install Discs that came with the MBP a few hours after I placed the order for replacements. Called Apple to cancel the order. After waiting on hold for more than 30 minutes, they said they could not cancel the order. They suggested that I refuse delivery of the discs and call back to get a refund.

Forum Links
Forum Rules