Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is my PB buggered?

Is my PB buggered?
SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Mar 27, 2005, 12:40 PM

Ok, here's the situation. My PB (G4 1.25, 1GB ram, 80GB HD) is just falling apart, physically. Are the following problems enough to send it off to Applecare? Bear in mind, that this is a PB that has rarely left my desk, and has an external keyboard attached to it.

The list of issues:

The right-hand side of the screen is noticeably darker than the left.

There are dark blotches on both sides of the bottom of the screen.

The keyboard is "peeling" away from the surface beneath it, to the point some areas of the keyboard are raised so high, it's like typing on foam.

The right-hand side of actual lcd part, when closed, is raised so far up that it wobbles.

I hear a constant hissing from the power supply, and worse, I hear a buzzing sound from inside the PB when it's turned off.

Think I should send it in?

Thanks.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

philc
Mar 27, 2005, 02:52 PM

I would sent it back or return it flat out. It really does not matter what policy Apple tries to stick you with. If you bought a new car with that many problems you would not accept it. Nor would you accept a clock radio with that many problems. So why a laptop?

While I do not have your array of problems I was not impressed that my brand new PB would not sit level on a flat surface. I have to put a couple business cards under the left-front to keep it level.

The way I see it Apple is selling an experience and a premium brand, you should not have to deal with these problems.

Phil

SubGeniux  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Mar 27, 2005, 03:11 PM

Thanks,

Mine too also doesn't sit evenly on a flat surface. It just seems that daily some new issue pops up, and this is a computer sitting on my desk, never really moving.

The actual screen issue in which one it wobbles, looks like it's to do with the hinges (did I mention that opening the screen up sounds as though it's going to break? lol). At the back of the machine, one side of the screen sticks out far more than the other, which probably causes the bulge.

After the Easter break, I'm going to get this thing fixed, one way or another.

Thanks again.
sanathana sarathi

jumpjim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2005, 04:03 PM

These dark splotches you mention - I seem to have one as well on my brand new 1.67 G4 15" Powerbook.

...And it's right in the middle of the screen as well.

I suppose it's going to have to go back but that really is a complete pain in the @rse...
Indecision is the key to flexibility...

SubGeniux  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2005, 04:07 PM

Ouch, the centre of the screen isn't even kinda out of the way. I remember my old Pismo started to get two dark patches in both bottom corners of the screen, but that was after around 3 years of heavy use.

One of the dark areas on my screen is an oval, starting from the bottom left, and going up the screen by about 2 inches.

Oh well, I've got Applecare so I hope it'll be resolved without too much hassle, must be a bummer having it on a new computer, though.
sanathana sarathi

Forum Links
Forum Rules