Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > icloud a bit haywire

icloud a bit haywire
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2019, 10:20 PM

Suddenly, things (reside in icloud but I access on both laptop/ desktop) --some I edit on my latptop are not being reflected on desktop (spiritual word doc); and things I'm deleting in one folder on desktop (temp docs); are not being deleted on laptop version, - in fact the laptop version of that folder seems to place those back to the desktop versioni. Help! madness.

Usually works like a charm.

Have not changed anything recently.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2019, 10:24 PM

you've had similar issues in the past, I think. Are both devices on same wifi? shut off wifi and turn back on? shut off icloud sync and turn back on?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2019, 10:30 PM

thank Andi, yes both on same wifi, Though at home is usually cordered ethernet. Where does one shut off icloud sync?

Googling the answer
I would get this warning, which seems a bit dangerous:
If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in iCloud Drive.

Have you done this? What are the repercussions?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2019, 10:36 PM

BTW ON desktop, in icloud drive folder, on right on all folder names, all have cloud symbol with todays date to the right of that.

On Desktop, the same folders also have cloud symbol, but with different old dates to the right most of them.
What does that mean?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 6, 2019, 10:08 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM. )

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2019, 02:49 PM

Called Apple, stumped, so asking engineers about it, have a case. More desktop/ laptop issue.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2019, 04:03 PM

Update, have ticket going with senior rep. Nothing is working, desktop/ all sync issue crazy. Nothing can be trusted anymore, of what you last worked on last Word, Excel etc..
Amazing they have no tool to get it right. He is talking to engineers.

Thorzdad
Feb 13, 2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Amazing they have no tool to get it right.
Why would Apple have a tool to fix an odd issue that one person is having?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2019, 07:54 PM

Am I the only one?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2019, 09:56 PM

Seems like it...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Seems like it...
Translation: 110% chance of user error

-t

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2019, 12:49 PM

Update: Love to get opinion votes,

1) rep one Apple, young guy, ok, not great, said engineers want to install a software that will check logs, see what's going on; and then get into terminal, complicated set up..

2) Newer rep, smarter, says upload issue is with my modem router, it's slow. Trying to get ATT over, but hard to reach.

3) Woke up last morning and some new paragraphs in a word documents I wrote on laptop previous night vanished. The document was replaced by an older copy. The text text has not come back.

4) Same night I rearranged a folder, trimmed de cluttered and trimmed 50 sub folders to 15, and combined some etc. Next morning it was all back, deleted folders reappeared. It was a mess. Will have to redo.

5) Also, it just occurred to me, and neither Apple rep offered idea: I just decided a week ago to switch from Crashplan to Backblaze for clouid backup. So this could be stressing upload speeds as well as ATT mediocre wifi.

Bottom line question: I'm thinking, just noticed that my laptop and Imac share well in house. Never really noticed this share feature. 95% of sharing is in house. 5% on laptop at cafes and travel trips. Maybe I'll just bail on icloud. Even if this is solved, if it could happen once (total meltdown -- work disappearing and being replaced by old versions. Deleted folders coming back) It could happen again. No?

Or I could keep trouble shooting, fix it all and enjoy icloud as I have been for 2-3 years.

I been loving icloud, but I'm leaning toward just keeping mostly everything on stable hardrives and just using icloud ala carte as needed,; maybe just keep the food recipes there so when I'm in market I can quickly access that type of stuff.

Votes/ opinions? Thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2019, 09:45 PM

I vote for Pedro.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2019, 07:04 PM

I'm not sure I understand this part:
I just decided a week ago to switch from Crashplan to Backblaze for clouid backup.
If you back up to iCloud, why are you using a third-party app?

iCloud backups and iCloud sharing are essentially natively transparent. I share a lot of stuff between my iPhone, iPad and my Macs, directly through iCloud, and that is 100% effective, without losses of any kind. I also have stuff shared through other "cloud" services like DropBox and OneDrive, but those are completely separate from iCloud, which is the only one built into both OS X and iOS.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 23, 2020, 01:03 PM

[...deleted...]

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 23, 2020, 07:21 PM

I've found that iOS sometimes needs you to re-log in to iCloud for it to work properly. Maybe iPad OS does too, but I have not had that be as noticeable.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 23, 2020, 10:22 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
Jan 23, 2020, 11:24 PM

[...deleted...]

andi*pandi
Jan 24, 2020, 02:23 PM

icloud has gremlins.

Forum Links
Forum Rules