Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > added SSD to iMac

added SSD to iMac
Harvey
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2016, 08:52 AM

About 2 months ago I added and external SSD to my 2014 iMac and with the proper software was able to convert to a fusion drive. All of it is working very well, especially Lightroom, which appreciated the speed boost. Now I am getting a "whooshing" sound which could be a fan. Is the sound related to my adding the SSd or is my fan bad and is it going to pose an overheating problem. I downloaded a software fix which seems to do nothing or at best very little to tone down this annoying sound. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Harvey

PS. Are you guys really shutting down? You have saved my butt so many times over the years. Thank You so much. Please don't go.

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2016, 10:14 AM

MacNN itself is no longer. The forums, though, will remain alive so long as they can pay the bills.

A fan running, to me at least, is more indicative of possibly either a sensor failing or something running hotter than normal, and not the fan itself failing.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 24, 2016, 10:31 AM

Temperature sensing issue on the new drive. You can either tell the fans to slow down manually (which I don't recommend) or get a kit like this:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD12/

Fan control app: Macs Fan Control - control fans of any Mac & Boot Camp! | CRYSTALIDEA Software

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2016, 03:53 PM

External SSD as part of a fusion drive. a) v. odd idea. Much danger of disconnecting drive and loosing data, etc.

Still... unlikely to be drive temp sensing issue as the iMac should still be getting temps from the original hdd. More liley an internal temp sensor is failing?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules