Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any use the Abysmal Logitech?

Any use the Abysmal Logitech?
kevs
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2019, 03:34 PM

I have an old corded mouse I love, but would like to know the wireless version of it. You can't call Logitech, everyone who answers can't speak English and don't know anything anyway. Their facebook support says to call. Even their discussion group, can't log in as the long tedious form says user name is invalid and you go in circles. How does this place stay in business? An other recommendation for 3rd pary mice/ mouses. Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 25, 2019, 05:03 PM

What Logitech mouse are you using today? If we know what kind of mouse you like, we could make recommendations.

I like wired gaming mice from Logitech myself, particularly the MX518. I've never caught on to wireless mice.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2019, 05:12 PM

MX 500. I like the 8 buttons for apps. What is wrong with this company Reader?
( Last edited by kevs; Jan 25, 2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: no reason)

P
Jan 28, 2019, 05:14 AM

MX500 is one of their classic mice, and hasn't been made in a decade at least. A slightly updated version, MX518, is their real classic.

Lots of Logitech's mice use the same shape as those old classic. I'm using a Logitech M705 right now - it is cordless and very similar to my old MX500 (which is dead and buried by now).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2019, 06:11 PM

Great post P. Wow... 705 though I don't see the three little buttons which made me move the MX 500 (ie, which launch favorite apps), am I missing that?

Does not mean I wont buy it. Is there a new one with 6 buttons?

And what is up with the atrocious customer service there!

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2019, 06:46 PM

newegg search page for bluetooth mice with 6-8 buttons.

You can fiddle the settings, for example if you're OK with wireless USB dongle.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2019, 06:47 PM

thanks Reader, just glance still don't see one there. I see stuff for "cross computer control". That's why I need to ask Logitech, or maybe P knows...

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2019, 06:49 PM

the very first mouse on Reader's link has 6 buttons.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks Andi, ah.. black on black, did not see, but says 6, look into this...

"A button located behind the scroll wheel makes it fast and simple to switch between the traditional Windows desktop and apps and the new, full-screen Windows 8 interface."

Wont help me ha ha. hope that one can be converted to another app... Still hard to get good Logitech sales person to ask will try again.

Ah.. bad reviews, and ergonomics not as good as Marathon...

Marthon, someone wrote " Extra programmable buttons ".. where are they? don't see them on top like with mx500

Thanks for helping guys.

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2019, 07:57 PM

The very first mouse on Reader's page is mac compatible.

The Logitech M557 Bluetooth mouse connects to Bluetooth-enabled PCs, Macs and Windows 8 tablets, with no receiver required. It delivers fast and accurate tracking, and facilitates and streamlines your daily operations with four-direction scroll wheel and Windows 8 Start Screen button. And with just-fit, ambidextrous design, up to one-year battery life with On/Off switch and button programmability, the M557 is a great gadget for you to manage multiple devices.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2019, 09:54 PM

The page might not list products in the same order for different visitors. The M557 lists 2nd for me, for example. And I'm not seeing the last 2 buttons on it either. They may be counting the scroll-wheel tilt (left/right) as the last two buttons, which is cheating in my books.

If you expand the listing to include IR wireless (uses a USB receiver) and good customer reviews, you get this page.

Try the Logitech M510 wireless. The "MX Anywhere 2S" looks promising with tilt scroll wheel + visible shoulder buttons. Plus plenty of other choices, often at lower prices.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2019, 10:45 PM

510 does look good. I "guess", buttons on are on the extreme right not in center.. not sure..

P
Jan 29, 2019, 04:54 AM

Having used an MX500, MX510, MX518, and the one that gave birth this entire design - Logitech Mouseman Wheel - the M705 is very similar. It has two regular buttons, a third by clicking the wheel, and two more on the thumb - by default they're back and forward. you can also release the scroll wheel with a sixth button in front of the wheel, but that button is not something the computer sees. The wheel also tilts, although I never bother with that feature. You can control all but the first two buttons as you like, giving you three programmable buttons as well as the tilt wheel functions for shortcuts.

M510 is not the same shape. It is lower, and symmetric rather than contoured for the right hand.

MX Anywhere 2 is a great travel mouse, but it is significantly smaller than any of the other mice here. I have it and use it when travelling - the ability to switch between different computers to control is great - but it is too small for regular work.

The real "pro" mouse Logitech offers now is MX Master 2. It has fantastic reviews, but I haven't tried it myself.

In my experience, all Logitech mice are Mac compatible, since the last 20 years or so. Logitech used to manufacture Apple's mice back in the day, though I don't know if they still do (I think they sold the division that makes OEM mice to someone else, or maybe closed it). You have to download their software yourself, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2019, 06:57 PM

Thanks P great post, ok bookmarking the M705, for when my MX 500s are finally toast.
But mx 500 has two buttons below the scroll and one one above.
Beside the scroll which launches and app, and the left site back/ forward. That really then 4 extra from apps. Does the 705 have four then too? I don't see them on top of the mouse..

And it will work with Steermouse?

P
Jan 30, 2019, 07:52 AM

The 705 has two physical buttons (back/forward), but you can also use the tilt wheel to trigger two more features. You can also use the button under the wheel for that purpose, if you want to, but I prefer to have a middle button. Alternatively, there is the MX Master 2S that has those features, plus a third button on the thumb (where the original Mouseman Wheel had it) and a horizontal scrollwheel.

Logitech also makes gaming mice. Some of them have an absurd amount of buttons. G502 has 11, and G600 has 20.

I would assume it works with Steermouse. Steermouse works with everything. I haven't used the M705 on a Mac, actually, this is the mouse for the Windows laptop at work. I forget what model mouse I use at home, but it is a cheapish wired Logitech mouse with the regular 5 buttons. They've probably changed to a different model number by now.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2019, 03:33 PM

P thanks, those buttons are kind of hidden compared to the mx 500 right? I guess once I own the 705 it will make more sense.

The g502 and 600 look intriguing. I don't game at all, but... I just want buttons for apps only. Those will open apps all? What think of the ergonomics of those though compared to the 705?

I can't remember why I got Steermouse.. oh maybe driver support ended..

P
Jan 30, 2019, 07:27 PM

Using Steermouse or USB Overdrive, any button on any USB mouse can generally be configured to do what you want. What Logitech’s drivers let you do depends on their support for that mouse on a Mac, that you’ll have to check for each.

G502 is one of those mice that you can configure to be what you want, changing the weight and balance, LED lights, speed, what the buttons do, etc. G600 I never used, it looks to be focused on having lots of buttons.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 AM

P, but what think of the feel/ ergonomics/ comfort for daily use of G502, vs 705?

P
Jan 31, 2019, 05:28 AM

M705 is the exact same feel as all those older mice - MX510, MX518, Mouseman Wheel, etc. G502 I haven't used. I used to use an older Logitech gaming mouse (G400, maybe?), because it was the only way to get that shape in a wired design back then, and I needed a wired design for reasons.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2019, 03:12 PM

Thanks P, from photos, what think? The ergonomics feel of the G502, (that's the one I'd consider, not others, for it's buttons); looks not an good ..?

BTW P, as an Logitch poweruser, ( and I do think their mouses are great), what is up with their horrid customer service? Thanks.

P
Jan 31, 2019, 06:51 PM

G502 is probably good ergonomically. Logitech basically has two designs that it spins on, and they’re both good.

Logitech’s website is abysmal and entirely focused on sales. It is also a company that seems to have lost a lot of its history - partly because their nineties mice lasted for a very long, so none of those fans ever bought replacements while the MX518 and the like were around. I think that they’re probably moving back to where they should be, with good quality non-gaming mice. MX Anywhere 2 is great, MX Master 2 at least has fantastic reviews, they keep making the basic Mouseman design at a good price, and they’re trying something new in keyboards as well (even if it is stupidly expensive). I think they made even better thing before, but I understand that a company can’t thrive if their $30 keyboard survives for 20 years.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2019, 10:35 PM

Thanks the MX Anythere 2 is not better than your favorite or have more buttons?

I'm talking about the bad pre -sales info. Bad English, no way to email a question, none.

P
Feb 1, 2019, 06:46 AM

MX Anywhere 2 is a travel mouse. It is very small to hold, because it has to be small to fit in a bag. I prefer a larger mouse when at the desk and using a big display. The big display sits further away than my laptop display, so I sit straight up instead of hunched over, and a bigger mouse is more comfortable to hold.

P
Feb 1, 2019, 10:59 AM

And because I just realized...

M705 has one more button - a thumb button under the rubber, far down on the side. It is not visible, but if you press there, it will trigger it. That button is set to Expose on the Mac and the Windows-Tab feature on Windows 7. It is a pretty terrible button, though, because it is hard to feel where to push, and you have to push quite hard to trigger it.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2019, 05:01 PM

ok P Will get 705 when my next mx 500 dies... I have two I'm using.

If they keep lasting long time, may post again for your recommendations.

But again Why is Logitech sales support so bad? no email pre- sales, no facebook pre sales, just calling, and 1/2 people there only understand 1/2 of what you ask.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 2, 2019, 12:37 AM

Support costs money. You have to pay people to answer phones, emails, questions. Cutting support is an easy expense to cut. That's why so many support people have strong Indian accents. They're in New Delhi, earning $1 per hour to give scripted answers.

So if Logitech Support is bad, I assume someone wanted to save money.

I like my MX518. I even laid in a new spare, which has been sitting on the shelf for years. Whenever my current 518 dies, I'll probably replace the cord so it lives again. My Logitech mice have enjoyed long lives.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2019, 12:51 AM

I always think if I'm on a long hold.. that a CEO is making 60 -100 million and that money is going to him.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2019, 02:02 PM

Hey all, I was researching yesterday Logitech choices on Amazon, there are about 5 in the #40 to $70 ranges. But all get same review scores on Amazon more or less! So hard to choose. all about 4 to 4.3, and all get great reviews and horrible reviews...

I found a comparison chart by Logitech that said their best desktop is the Performance MX which is discontinued and now replaced by I think the MX master 25. Anyone in the loop. I'm looking for the best for a desktop...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2020, 02:15 PM

Logitech seems to still make decent mice. Their support went offshore and has been terrible ever since, and everything else followed suit - their warranties aren't what they used to be, either.

I was a big fan of the MX500 and its progeny - I have the MX700, the MX900, and whatever the gaming mouse was at the time of the same hardware design. The next model generation up from that that's worth it IMO is the MX1100, but they don't make it anymore, so you'd have to buy used if you wanted one. They have Logitech's patented hyperscroll wheel. It's amazing, and you'll never want to go back to a regular scroll wheel again. It uses a mechanism to allow the wheel to spin freely on its axis unless you're scrolling slowly, so you can fly through documents super fast. It's pretty incredible and beats the pants off the MX500's scrolling buttons above and below the wheel.

The MX705 also has this feature, but it does have fewer buttons - crucially, it's missing the thumb button, which I used constantly on the MX500-based line and my MX1100. I finally upgraded a few years ago when my MX1100 just got too grubby to keep using daily, but I had that thing since like 2007, and I didn't replace it until at least 2016. I still use it as a mouse on other computers.

We now have five MX Masters (four original, one 2S) between hubs and I, and we both love them and use them heavily. My biggest complaint is the flaky software on Windows 10 - sometimes my button configurations stop working and I have to relaunch Options for it to start working again. I doubt this is an issue on OS X; the software is completely different. They even work in OS 9 with a USB unifying receiver! You just have to make sure the mouse and receiver are paired on a modern computer (Mac or PC) first.

I also don't like how stiff the thumb button is sometimes, but I'm a girl with very small hands and a weak grip, so that won't be a problem if you're a dude.

Logitech's current mice options all support their Options app, which allows you to map keyboard shortcuts and other commands to the buttons and gestures on your mouse. The MX Master has a bunch of options here - there's a thumb button with its own mapping, and you can hold it and move the mouse in the four cardinal directions for four more shortcuts. I use this heavily in Illustrator, since I have it mapped to different pen and selection tools. It makes working on a 4K display much less annoying, since I don't have to keep moving back to the tools palette. I also map commands for other apps, since the Options app supports per-application settings, and I *think* it's a feature on all their mice now.

The MX Master is probably going to be what you want - it has all the features of the MX500-based line, but with gesture support and new software. It's a good mouse. If you want something fancier, you might look at the G502 - it's a bit more expensive $150, but it's higher-resolution and has the option for a wireless Qi charging mouse mat, which means the battery basically never dies. The corded version is on sale for $50 through Logitech direct right now.

As far as Logitech's bad support and customer service: they outsourced everything overseas as it became increasingly economically incentivized to do so. Don't hate the players; hate the game. They did what they had to do in order to effectively compete against a tsunami of cheap counterfeit Chinese knockoffs. I hope that the quality of their support will go back to where it once was as the incentives to maintain offshore support disappear.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2020, 02:33 PM

Good post Shif. I'm still using my old 2 MX500. So great. What are the closest one or two Logitaech that match this for button placements. And/ or also (for non gamers) what are your personal 1-2 new recommendations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules