Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB LCD Screens...Glass?

New PB LCD Screens...Glass?
sydric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2002, 05:04 PM

I saw on another board somewhere that the new PB had glass screens or at least glass covering the screen. Does anybody know if this is correct?

sydric

Ordered my 1 GHz SuperDrive on 11/11 from MacConnection. NO shipping date yet.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2002, 05:48 PM

Hi...

No... my new 1GHz w/ Superdrive definetly does not have a glass screen... just the typical TFT LCD screen.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

cambro
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 05:50 PM

Hmmm. Not sure about this. My Ghz combo screen is fantastic, but it doesn't seem any different than the 400 on the surface. However, there is an easy way to find out....
Since glass has a hardness of 7 and iron has a hardness of 5, I should be unable to scratch my screen with a pair of scissors! I'll go try it and report back...NOT.

sydric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2002, 05:58 PM

Thanks...

sydric

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2002, 06:30 PM

LCDs in laptops are glass covered with a plastic polarizer. the polarizer is what scratches when you take scissors to it.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

cambro
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 06:40 PM

vmarks:

Cool, thanks for the info! What is the function of the polarizer (if it is just polarizing the light why does that need to be done)?

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2002, 08:18 PM

It's the way LCDs work, if you've ever played with an old calculator with removable polariser you'll know that you can flip it over to get silver characters on a black background, the LCD polarises light in the opposite direction to the polariser, resulting in black areas. I guess for greyscale and colour LCDs the degree of polarisation, or angle is varied to get different shades.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

Tzaar
Nov 17, 2002, 08:24 PM

yeah man, mine shipped with a glass screen. It sucks cause it makes the PB about 15 pounds heavier, and seems to add a bit of thickness to the casing. BUT- I don't get any of those keeyboard marks anymore, and I can even check my reflection when the screen is dark. It was a BTO option, only $15. I say do it, I'll never go back.

Tzaar

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Tzaar:
yeah man, mine shipped with a glass screen. It sucks cause it makes the PB about 15 pounds heavier, and seems to add a bit of thickness to the casing. BUT- I don't get any of those keeyboard marks anymore, and I can even check my reflection when the screen is dark. It was a BTO option, only $15. I say do it, I'll never go back.

Tzaar

Karim
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 08:47 PM

I think Kensington makes a retrofit glass kit for us that only got the regular plastic. I hear the glass screens make DVD's look much more lifelike

stefeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Tzaar:
yeah man, mine shipped with a glass screen. It sucks cause it makes the PB about 15 pounds heavier, and seems to add a bit of thickness to the casing.

Tzaar
I think the windshield wipers are a great new feature as well.
"It's never too late to become what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Links
Forum Rules