Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Holy loud fans with 10.3.8

Holy loud fans with 10.3.8
schwaz80
Feb 14, 2005, 07:45 PM

My dual 1.8 used to be very quiet. Now the fans kick in to high gear while surfing web pages. The sound is ridiculous. Anything I can do to fix this?

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by schwaz80:
My dual 1.8 used to be very quiet. Now the fans kick in to high gear while surfing web pages. The sound is ridiculous. Anything I can do to fix this?
Turn Processor Performance (under energy saver) to: Highest (yes, it sounds counter intuitive, but something is messed up with Automatic under 10.3.8.)

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 08:10 PM

Same here. Dual 2.0 G5.

MacFixIt has been following this and the best theory is that it was done to solve rare overheat issues that were affecting some of the high speed dual G5s. Apparently a few machines used to kernel panic when doing very processor intensive work and the System.log showed an emergency shutdown due to "thermal runaway" (in some rare cases leading to a motherboard replacement). The theory is that 10.3.8 tries to keep the processors a little cooler to avoid the problem.

The open question is to whether the Energy Saver workaround (setting Processor Performance to Highest) is safe to run all the time for these high speed dual machines (or may it in fact lead to the very problem the "fan" fix was meant to solve). I've decided to keep the fans a blowin' until more is known.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2005, 08:58 PM

I had a dual 2.0GHz G5 for over one year set to highest from day one. No problems.
(Its since been replaced with a DP2.5GHz)

Forum Links
Forum Rules