Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > fw 1.8, streaming on the playstation 3 possible?

fw 1.8, streaming on the playstation 3 possible?
nycdunz
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 02:47 AM

I know of a great program called connect360 that allows you to stream from your mac to an xbox 360, but with the new fw update that came out today from sony (1.8), is there a way to stream from a mac to the ps3?

I would love to do this, is there such a program such as connect360 that can do this?

torifile
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 03:10 PM

I tried to use Connect360 to stream to the PS3, thinking that because the PS3 and the 360 both use DLNA to stream it might work. No go (unsurprisingly). But because the PS3 has the capability to stream this way, I'd imagine it'd be trivial for Nullriver to make a ConnectPS3 program. Maybe... I'm going to poke around to see if there's any communication at all between my PS3 and my iMac to see what's going on.

torifile
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 03:21 PM

Well, there is *something* going on when I tell my PS3 to look for media servers.

and header M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1

HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900

ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

MAN: "ssdp:discover"

MX: 2

X-AV-Client-Info: av=5.0; cn="Sony Computer Entertainment"; mn="PLAYSTATION3"; mv="1.0";
2007-05-24 15:16:30.915 Connect360Helper[8685] NRSSDPServer: Received a new SSDP query from host: 192.168.0.6:53386
2007-05-24 15:16:30.915 Connect360Helper[8685] C22: newQueryNotification... M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1

HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900

ST: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaServer:1

MAN: "ssdp:discover"

MX: 2

X-AV-Client-Info: av=5.0; cn="Sony Computer Entertainment"; mn="PLAYSTATION3"; mv="1.0";
That's from my console.log. The PS3 and Connect360 are trying to talk to one another.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 07:23 PM

torfile i contacted the developer of connect360, and he said that they're possibly seeking a solution for us ps3 owners... I'm crossing my fingers on this, cause I would love to be able to stream from to my ps3 just like with my xbox360...

i also tried using connect360 hoping that for some insane reason it would work but it didn't. Oh well, worth a try though.

torifile
Mac Elite
May 24, 2007, 11:53 PM

I did some more poking about and I found twonkymedia.com. This installs a DLNP server and it actually works. Sort of. It doesn't do aac files, apparently, so most of my iTunes music is unsupported. But the tracks that I have that are mp3s work fine. As far as I can tell, the binaries are PPC, so it seems to be hit or miss on an Intel Mac but after some fiddling and waiting for it to index my media, it worked.

However, without aac support, it's pretty much useless to me.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 25, 2007, 03:56 PM

wait so twonkymedia streams video as well? can it transcode on the fly of video files?

and is twonkymedia easy to setup? I don't have an intel mac, so this might be a solution for me for the time being.

torifile
Mac Elite
May 25, 2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
wait so twonkymedia streams video as well? can it transcode on the fly of video files?

and is twonkymedia easy to setup? I don't have an intel mac, so this might be a solution for me for the time being.
It's pretty easy to set up but I don't know how well it does in actually working. I mean, there's not a lot to the set up. Install it, tell it where to look for the media and tell it what computers can connect (this is optional). I don't know what performance is like and I have no idea about the transcoding thing. You'll have to try it out to see.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
May 26, 2007, 01:24 AM

i thought you have it installed already? So was wondering if it works well for you?

torifile
Mac Elite
May 26, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
i thought you have it installed already? So was wondering if it works well for you?
I did and then I uninstalled it. I didn't try the video stuff because it was late and I didn't feel like messing with it. I may try it again, but only for the sake of trying it out - I've got a Mac mini hooked up as my HTPC so the PS3's capability is redundant. And if the binary is PPC, its performance on my machine wouldn't be indicative of its ability overall.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 26, 2007, 05:38 PM

TwonkyMedia is just... broken. It made my computer slow to a crawl, not to mention it was very buggy. And there's little to none Mac support.

EyeConnect seems a lot better, but the problem with it is that it denies access to your PS3 whenever you try to view a photo or listen to a song, or watch a video. But at least it's much more refined than Twonky. It just needs an update to get everything to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules