Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can I get iChat to login automatically at startup?

How can I get iChat to login automatically at startup?
shockme17
Apr 19, 2004, 08:20 PM

hmm.. well heres my question inc ase you missed the subject

how can i get iChat to login automatically at startup?

thanks

rphtechnology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 08:28 PM

I am using 10.3.3 with iChat 2.0... Go offline with iChat. iChat menu --> Preferences --> Accounts. Enter your username and password and close the window. Quit iChat then launch it to test results.
QuickSilver 733 / T1

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:43 PM

I just set iChat to launch at startup. Do this in the system preferences, under 'accounts', and then 'login items'.

Tick the box to make it hide also. I couldn't find a way to just make it login at startup without opening iChat.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:58 PM

Put an Applescript application in your startup items. Make it do this:

Code:
tell application "iChat" launch end tell tell application "iChat" quit end tell
Run the script hidden. Works for me.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

shockme17  (op)
Apr 19, 2004, 11:22 PM

thanks guys.. ill try these methods out

shockme17  (op)
Apr 19, 2004, 11:26 PM

oh and just to make sure everyone understood the question correctly.. i meant how can i get ichat to login automatically after i start the machine.. like aim does on windows.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 01:36 AM

they understood
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

shockme17  (op)
May 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

ok. so my next endeavour is to get ichatagent to log in automatically, without starting up ichat itself. is this possible?

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by shockme17:
ok. so my next endeavour is to get ichatagent to log in automatically, without starting up ichat itself. is this possible?
No, hence Arkham's script that launches iChat, then quits it, leaving you logged in. Kinda annoying but it works.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 07:20 PM

Unfortunately, I seem to be having somewhat.

Regardless of the state iChat or the iChatAgent is in, when I come out of sleep, the Agent connects 1/2 the time and marks me as "Available."

However, when I am on my Mac, I am 99.9% of the time marked as "Away" but I still chat with friends. I have yet to figure out why it always logs me back in as "Available" even though I put the computer to sleep with iChat closed and the Agent as "Offline."
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by SoBayJake:
I have yet to figure out why it always logs me back in as "Available" even though I put the computer to sleep with iChat closed and the Agent as "Offline."
Have you changed the setting in iChat: Preferences: General, the one about "When I return to my computer, and my status is Away:, either 1. Keep my status as Away, 2. Set my status to Available, 3. Ask what do do"?

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Have you changed the setting in iChat: Preferences: General, the one about "When I return to my computer, and my status is Away:, either 1. Keep my status as Away, 2. Set my status to Available, 3. Ask what do do"?
Mithras: I have it set to "Keep my status as Away" and that works fine. But mine is going from "Offline" when I put it to sleep, then going to "Online" when I wake it up. But it doesn't happen every time. It seems almost random. I have yet to figure out the common factor.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 02:09 PM

If you place iChat in your start-up items, and mark the general preference settings : When iChat opens, automatically log-in, it will work just fine. iChat will open, and you will be online and available.
If I put my Mac to sleep with iChat open, and then wake it back up, iChat automagically connects, and it is never random, it always works that way for me.
I do wish iChat had a stealth mode, so you can be online, but have no one see you, and you can still see when your friends [ or enemies ] are on.

Originally posted by Mithras:
No, hence Arkham's script that launches iChat, then quits it, leaving you logged in. Kinda annoying but it works.
That works, unless you have the General setting : When I quit iChat, set my status to offline checked.
( Last edited by SMacTech; May 14, 2004 at 02:17 PM. )

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2004, 04:56 PM

Whenever I put my powerbook to sleep when I wake it up ichat sets itself to the last available msg I used. Really @#%^*($&^ annoying, one of the many little things that apple seems to have been dropping the ball on lately.

~BS

Forum Links
Forum Rules