Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SO many decisions so little time

SO many decisions so little time
BlakIce
Jan 16, 2004, 01:42 AM

Sara from Apple is suppose to be calling me in the morning to tell me if they have a refurb Powerbook for sale, but after reading this forum and others im a little weary about it. if i get a refurb im going to get a 17 if i dont im going to get a 15 and i want to have as few problems as possible. i talked my boss out of keeping the Dell she got me and i dont want her to say i told you so. OH should i invest in apple care.

Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 04:22 AM

Invest in Apple Care for sure.

I am just speaking from experience. It has payed for it's self on all my computers (iMac, 15 " AlBook, G4 Tower) which are used quite heavily.

I can't give you definitive answers, but I can give you my personal experiences.

In terms of problems with my PB. I have had the screen replaced twice. First time, white spots appeared after about 5 days.

This time, I have had it for 4 days. So far, so good. I hear Apple actually has a fix for the screens now, and they are no longer flawed. I will try to remember to revisit this thread in a week and tell you if they are back.

The latch on my screen died on the last screen. Even bending it didn't get it to stick. New screen latch is fine. But, I am being careful not to put to much strain on it when it's in my bag.

Other than that, my PB is fine. No drive clicking, no scratches, excellent battery life (4 hoursish doing simple coding.. which is just text editing.. not a lot of compiling).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 10:06 AM

There have been minimal to no problems on the 17's that I've heard of. I know with the 15's it was just the white spots but supposedly they have that nipped in the bud now. So either choice should be good. Also from what I understand the refurbed machines go through a very stringent refurb process.

definitely get AppleCare
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

BlakIce  (op)
Jan 16, 2004, 11:11 AM

how long after the purchase can i get the apple care. and if i have any problems in the first year like in need a a screen replacement they can get it for me

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by BlakIce:
how long after the purchase can i get the apple care. and if i have any problems in the first year like in need a a screen replacement they can get it for me
You have up to a year from purchase date.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 03:15 AM

If I was going to get white spots, they would have appeared a couple of days ago, as happened with my last two screens.

I carry my PB around in my school bag, so.. there is pressure on the screen, and I should know right away. But, nothing so far. It looks like a clear screen is here to stay.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2004, 10:30 AM

I will be buying my Applecare soon....

Just kinda a big chunk of coin for right now
Who reads this???

Forum Links
Forum Rules