Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Neighbor's ANNOYING Dog: Advice

Neighbor's ANNOYING Dog: Advice
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:30 AM

Here is the situation: We live in a neighborhood where the people are all nice for the most part. Get along with everyone. We have a dog and guess what? We keep it in OUR yard. Never let it run around at large. Why? Because we care about him and because it's the law.

However, our neighborhood is one where people just seem to let THEIR animals roam around at large. This p*sses me off because 1) The animal is in danger and 2) The owner is negligent (you wouldn't let your toddler roam around at large so why let your pet roam around) and 3) It is against the law.

On the left side of me there is a neighbor who CONTINUALLY let her miniature pinscher run all over the place. They were warned continuously about this issue. Last week her dog came over (miniature pinscher) and came INTO my house (I had the doors open because I was cleaning) and ran up to my dog's kennel where he was sleeping and he pissed on my dog, causing both me and my dog to get very upset. I scooped his *ss up and took him to the dog pound.

I thought it was a good lesson (and it was the one recommended to me by the county animal care and control folks.) I really (REALLY) like this neighbor because they have great kids and she (the mom) is a very nice gal. But, the roaming dog problem has been ongoing for four years. They also have a bassett hound and that dog has been roaming for four years and it never stopped. When they got the miniature pinscher I thought, "Is this going to be more of the same?" Turns out it was.

Now, on the other side of us, two houses down, is a lady who is letting her dachsund roam around every morning. He scoots under the fence and comes down to our house and stands there and barks his yappy head off. I let it go because I really like these people and thought it would eventually stop.

Finally, yesterday I nicely walked down there and told them that their dog is loose and he is coming into our yard, barking, and is upsetting our baby (his bedroom is where the dog stands outside of and barks) and making our dog go crazy. They promised to keep him contained.

Today is the same old same old: Yappy dachsund standing outside our house and barking his insane little head off. Our dog is barking inside of the house in response. It's nuts! So, I got upset and tossed a bowl of vinegar water at the dog (old farm trick -- we used it a lot while growing up). The dog ran off barking.

The lady comes over and she's upset because her dog smells like vinegar and she has to give him a bath. She said, "We TRY to keep him in the yard but you know, sometimes it isn't possible. I'm very sorry about this. Please do not throw vinegar on him if he comes down anymore. Just shoo him away." I said, "'Shooing' your dog away does not work. This is a problem for the past two weeks and I'm tired of it." She said, "Well, we're trying to teach him to stay in the yard so please be patient." I said, "How old is this dog?" "Six years old," she said. I said, "You've had him for six years and he does not know to stay in your yard or you do not keep him under control after six years?" She just looked at me with a helpless look and said nothing.

So, what do I do when the dog comes over again tomorrow?

I'm thinking of capturing him and taking him to animal control but then I incur the wrath of the neighbors. Honestly, I'm REALLY sick of people who let their animals roam around. I don't think they should have them.

( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Oct 20, 2004 at 11:36 AM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 11:31 AM

shoot 'em.

the neighbors that is.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
So, what do I do when the dog comes over again tomorrow?
didn't you buy a jack russel terrier? - let him take care of it.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:39 AM

I guess I might just let Mr. Jack Russell terrier have a go at him, you're right.

But, I don't want either dog to get hurt, to be honest. I think my dog would eat that dachsund up alive. Never know, though, since dachsunds are tough little buggers themselves.

He's a cute dachsund, also. It's not his fault that the owner is pathetic.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 11:39 AM

actually i have a better idea than my first one. next time the dog comes into your yard, "rescue" him. because hes lost. then keep him.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:41 AM

actually i have a better idea than my first one. next time the dog comes into your yard, "rescue" him. because hes lost. then keep him.
Actually, even BETTER idea?

YOU TAKE HIM!

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 11:43 AM

But, I don't want either dog to get hurt, to be honest.
oh, that's what i meant. let the terrier take care of the neighbours.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:50 AM

...he pissed on my dog...

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:58 AM

Call animal control and the police. It sounds like the neighbor and the dog need help.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 11:58 AM

Peter: I swear to GOD -- he DID do that!

He came bouncing into the house, ran over to my dog's kennel where he was peacefully chewing on his toy while I mopped the floor, made my dog go crazy, then cranked his unneutered *ss up in the air and p*ssed on my dog in his kennel!

I was SO upset, you have no idea.

I grabbed him right then and there, put him in my doggie carrier, and went down to the dog pound with him.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 01:08 PM

I would do the vinegar thing again, and again, [now say this one more softly] and again.

Then when you run out of vinegar, give the owner an ultimatum: either buy you more vinegar or you will call the pound next time

Seriously, it sounds terribly annoying and very inconsiderate of the owners. You don't have a right to be annoyed, and if they aren't responsible enough to control their pet then you can control it for them by calling the pound.
Genius. You know who.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 01:21 PM

I had a neighbor that would let their dog bark at NIGHT while people were SLEEPING and it became a huge issue. However, I solved it via several different means...

1) Call animal control and have them deliver a notice tot he owner that their dog is wandering around.

2) Call the police.

3) Take the dog to the pound and don't tell the neighbors.

4) Go to a hardware store, buy some Gopher Bait (or any other strychnine-based pest control pellet), make an open-face peanut butter sandwich, put about 4 pellets in the sandwich (wear gloves, of course), fold the sandwich in half, then feed it to the dog(s).

Problem solved.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 01:21 PM

Then when you run out of vinegar, give the owner an ultimatum: either buy you more vinegar or you will call the pound next time.

!

That's the best idea yet...

"Can you buy me more vinegar, please, so that I can continue to 'shoo' your dog away with it? A gallon jug of apple cider vinegar will do nicely, thank you very much."

GREAT.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
I would do the vinegar thing again, and again, [now say this one more softly] and again.

Then when you run out of vinegar, give the owner an ultimatum: either buy you more vinegar or you will call the pound next time

Seriously, it sounds terribly annoying and very inconsiderate of the owners. You don't have a right to be annoyed, and if they aren't responsible enough to control their pet then you can control it for them by calling the pound.
Ok, I'm a photographer and if you think vinager is bad... just go to your local photo shop and get a unit of fixer... mix it up and dump. Vinager odor will come off, but fixer generally hangs around for 24-48 hours (believe me, I know). Then again, I don't really like dogs...

OTOH, maybe the ASPCA might have something to say here... reckless endangerment?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
4) Go to a hardware store, buy some Gopher Bait (or any other strychnine-based pest control pellet), make an open-face peanut butter sandwich, put about 4 pellets in the sandwich (wear gloves, of course), fold the sandwich in half, then feed it to the dog(s).
yes, hurt the dog because the owner is a retard.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
yes, hurt the dog because the owner is a retard.
Not hurt him -- kill him.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Guy Stone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 01:47 PM

Just say the dog is for Kerry and some nutjob hillbilly redneck from the pol lounge will come over and skin it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 01:50 PM

Maury
what an idiot.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Guy Stone:
Just say the dog is for Kerry and some nutjob hillbilly redneck from the pol lounge will come over and skin it.
I think one just volunteered:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RAILhead:
[B]Not hurt him -- kill him.
( Last edited by Bluesky; Oct 20, 2004 at 02:11 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 02:45 PM

what an idiot.
I swear, I feel for some of you people. Do you REALLY think I'd tell someone to KILL someone else's animal -- and be farking serious about it?!? What pitiful lives some of you must lead to be unable to recognize sarcasm. Did you see the SUNGLASSES emoticon?

Holy crap, what a bunch of babies.

Maury

PS: Tell me Cody, did YOU think I was really suggesting you kill the dog(s)?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 03:01 PM

Naw, RAILhead.

We all knew you were joking.

Actually, ALL of you make me laugh!

Spouse says to feed the dog some laxative and let him go home happy!

(Not that I'll do that...but my point is that making this issue one of satire and humor is the only way to deal with it -- a dog coming INTO your own house and pissing all over and then another one standing outside your infant's window and barking his bloody head off for no reason REQUIRES some serious humor.)

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 03:02 PM

I swear, I feel for some of you people. Do you REALLY think I'd tell someone to KILL someone else's animal -- and be farking serious about it?!? What pitiful lives some of you must lead to be unable to recognize sarcasm. Did you see the SUNGLASSES emoticon?

Maury

you don't use the SUNGLASS emoticon to show sarcasm. and yes, i am totally unable to recognize sarcasm when i'm reading it on a message board. next time, post an aiff or wav of you saying it, i'll be able to hear you (and your sarcasm) better.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 03:03 PM

I really (REALLY) like this neighbor because they have great kids and she (the mom) is a very nice gal.

I bet that's about to change.
Once you don't like them no more, your options of action will increase...

-t

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 03:04 PM

Not too hard. Assuming you're from the US, put up a "no trespassing" sign, and a warning that respassers will be shot. If the dog's owner keeps the dog under control, great. If not, and it comes back onto your property, shoot it.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 03:10 PM

My mistake. I was under the impression that the ~SUNGLASSES emoticon~ denoted an attention whore/MasterBaiter.

BTW, your internet nerdness is stunningly impressive.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 03:29 PM

you don't use the SUNGLASS emoticon to show sarcasm.
Says who? I didn't get the memo I guess. Sunglasses = cool as in being a dork/cool, which i would HOPE peope would read as NOT SERIOUS.

Oh well.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 03:32 PM

DECON!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
I was under the impression that the ~SUNGLASSES emoticon~ denoted an attention whore/MasterBaiter

Never heard that !

-t

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Mister Elf:
Not too hard. Assuming you're from the US, put up a "no trespassing" sign, and a warning that respassers will be shot. If the dog's owner keeps the dog under control, great. If not, and it comes back onto your property, shoot it.
Darn! When did dogs learn to read? Did I miss another evolutionary jump?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:10 PM

Actually we kinda had that same situation, up the hill from us they have a golden retriever and a boston terrier. they were roaming about a mile or two down the road, they got picked up by the cops and the owners got a summons for 75 bucks a dog.

It was actually kinda sad, they used to come down into our yard and played with our dogs, we haven't seen them in over 6 months.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
Actually we kinda had that same situation, up the hill from us they have a golden retriever and a boston terrier. they were roaming about a mile or two down the road, they got picked up by the cops and the owners got a summons for 75 bucks a dog.

It was actually kinda sad, they used to come down into our yard and played with our dogs, we haven't seen them in over 6 months.
Why not organize play days?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 04:19 PM

Maury
My neighbor's Doberman ("Lucifer") came around constantly, chasing my cat, and would tree it for hours at a time while I was at work. I warned my neighbor about this twice, telling him he needed to chain of pen-up his dog. He ignored me. Well, since there is no animal control in the county, I warned my neighbor that if I saw the dog on my property again, the dog was "done". He just looked at me and gave me a look of "yeah, right".

So the next time I saw it chase my cat, I shot and killed the dog (.30-06) and deposited it on the neighbor's property. The guy called the police (who told him he should have taken better care of his dog), threatened with civil action (I don't suppose anything ever came of that), and then suddenly decided to move 3 months later. Happy ending.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 04:19 PM

Last week her dog came over (miniature pinscher) and came INTO my house (I had the doors open because I was cleaning) and ran up to my dog's kennel where he was sleeping and he pissed on my dog, causing both me and my dog to get very upset. I scooped his *ss up and took him to the dog pound.
The answer is obvious... train your dog to piss on the other dog. Or better yet, next time you see him roaming on your property unattended, lift your own leg!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2004, 04:21 PM

DP

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2004, 04:22 PM

Maury

Hey, I had to read this whole thing to finally find out if you were being serious.

Although I believed you weren't because I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by JohnnyAppleseed:
Why not organize play days?
we don't really care to much about it, and they can't really control their dogs, they call for them and they run down the road.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
My neighbor's Doberman ("Lucifer") came around constantly, chasing my cat, and would tree it for hours at a time while I was at work. I warned my neighbor about this twice, telling him he needed to chain of pen-up his dog. He ignored me. Well, since there is no animal control in the county, I warned my neighbor that if I saw the dog on my property again, the dog was "done". He just looked at me and gave me a look of "yeah, right".

So the next time I saw it chase my cat, I shot and killed the dog (.30-06) and deposited it on the neighbor's property. The guy called the police (who told him he should have taken better care of his dog), threatened with civil action (I don't suppose anything ever came of that), and then suddenly decided to move 3 months later. Happy ending.
Oh no, you're in for it now...even though what youd id was WELL within the law. I would have no reservations about doing what you did if some other animal kept screwing with my cat. Of course, I'd use my S&W and have the city come haul it off.

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
The answer is obvious... train your dog to piss on the other dog. Or better yet, next time you see him roaming on your property unattended, lift your own leg!

Now THAT'S a freakin good idea!

Maury

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Hey, I had to read this whole thing to finally find out if you were being serious.

Although I believed you weren't because I gave you the benefit of the doubt.
Huh? I wasn't being serious Zimp, don't worry. Now, if the dog was attacking Cody's or whatever, then yeah, I'd send it to the Big Sleep� in no time.

Maury

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2004, 04:30 PM

Sorry. I am a real women when it comes to animals and such. I can't even go hunting or anything.

Now I don't knock those who do or can.

It's just not my bag I guess.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 04:35 PM

Oh no, you're in for it now...even though what youd id was WELL within the law. I would have no reservations about doing what you did if some other animal kept screwing with my cat. Of course, I'd use my S&W and have the city come haul it off.

Maury
I warned him 3 times, and I know if the dog had caught my cat, it would have killed him. (Hell, Tigger's a big damned cat, but c'mon.) It's a shame, I didn't enjoy it, but it had to be done.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Sorry. I am a real women when it comes to animals and such. I can't even go hunting or anything.

Now I don't knock those who do or can.

It's just not my bag I guess.
I understand that. I'm an animal lover -- if you couldn't tell from my site every Friday -- but I draw the line when it comes to MY animals being endangered by someone or someone else's animals. My animals have always been considered part of the family, and I'll treat them as such if it comes to someone trying to hurt them -- if there's no other option.

Thankfully, I've never had to do anything quite so drastic, but I've given a couple of dogs a swift kick in the side for going after someone's pet.

Maury

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2004, 04:46 PM

Get a paint ball gun with bright pink, non-water soluable paint balls. Shoot the dog if it comes into your yard. Every time your neighbor gets a pink dog back, they'll know it was in your yard.

My uncle's neighbor's dog kept going into his field. This was ongoing for years. One time the dog bit his kid, so he took out his 22 and shot it. No more dog.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2004, 04:50 PM

I understand that. I'm an animal lover -- if you couldn't tell from my site every Friday -- but I draw the line when it comes to MY animals being endangered by someone or someone else's animals. My animals have always been considered part of the family, and I'll treat them as such if it comes to someone trying to hurt them -- if there's no other option.

Thankfully, I've never had to do anything quite so drastic, but I've given a couple of dogs a swift kick in the side for going after someone's pet.

Maury
I guess I can understand. If it was between MY dog and someone else's, I would save mine first.

I am still not sure if I could actually SHOOT one though.

It would probably haunt me for a long time. I don't own a gun so I don't really have anything to worry about anyhow.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 07:09 PM

ok, i didn't feel like reading that really long post... but my suggestion for evil neighbors wandering dogs goin in your yard and pooping everywhere is simple... Paintball gun.

Thats what I did to my neighbors dog after it came over in our yard to poop once a day for about a week... it never came back.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 07:10 PM

zget a pitbull
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 11:08 PM

what an idiot.
Yeh, everyone knows caustic soda in a hamburger works much better.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2004, 11:36 PM

Taking the dog to the pound (or calling animal control to do it) is probably the best, most humane thing to do. The owners will get the message loud and clear, especially if it means taking an hour or two out of their day to go pick their dog up. You could also try talking your neighbors into getting electric fencing installed; it works pretty well with medium/small dogs, and it adds to the value of the home.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 01:22 AM

I say, when the dog comes back, get it and call the pound. tell them the story and have them take it away.

the owners will have to pay to get it back, that should be enough of a plan... or get a paintball gun.

if you go the paintball gun route, i can tell you which one to buy, and when you are done sell it to me!

DDAMNIT!!! this was my 1,000th post!!!! oh well...

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules