Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anybody running 9.2.2 with a 1,25 GHz MDD ?

Anybody running 9.2.2 with a 1,25 GHz MDD ?
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 05:01 AM

I have tried to install Mac OS 9.2.2 in the second hard drive of my MDD Power Mac. No luck so far. I have the 9.2.1 CD-ROM, the 9.2.2 update file. If I try to boot from the 9.2.1 CD-ROM the Mac boots but the hard disks are not mounted.

I have the restore DVD disc that came with the computer, but it is aimed to install 10.3 and Classic support. I think this single MDD could run Mac OS 9.2.2 as a stand alone system since it is not a FW 800 model…

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 05:08 AM

BTW Is cable select the default setting on this single 1,25 GHz MDD ?, I have them as master and slave, Tiger see them just fine. What differences are between cable select and master/slave ?

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2005, 05:14 AM

Are you sure you installed OS9 drivers?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 05:54 AM

I am almost sure about the 'slave' hard disk since I put it there inside the MDD this week and deleted all its previous content…

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2005, 06:37 AM

What do you mean, almost sure?
If there is nothing on these disks, just start with the OS X install disks, launch Disk Utility and initialize both drives again, making sure you have the OS 9 Drivers checkbox checked.

Can you see them now?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 10:50 AM

OK, there is not need to initialize them, I can read that both have Mac OS 9 drivers installed, Apple System Profiler says it so.

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I have tried to install Mac OS 9.2.2 in the second hard drive of my MDD Power Mac. No luck so far. I have the 9.2.1 CD-ROM, the 9.2.2 update file. If I try to boot from the 9.2.1 CD-ROM the Mac boots but the hard disks are not mounted.

I have the restore DVD disc that came with the computer, but it is aimed to install 10.3 and Classic support. I think this single MDD could run Mac OS 9.2.2 as a stand alone system since it is not a FW 800 model…
angelmb,
I have the same MDD Mac as you have....
It will not boot a volume with the retail OS9.2.1 install and upgrade to OS9.2.2 you tried...
It will only boot a volume with the same System Folder as that which came with your Mac...
If you have the original OS9.2.2 System Folder on the same volume with your OSX, copy it(replace the system folder you just installed) to your new volume and it should boot okay.

I'm not certain which files in the System Folder that actually need replacing...I thought it was the System file and maybe the Finder, but I know if you replace the whole System Folder it will work(boot).

I have three HD on my MD and have all set to Cable Select...that's recommended.

Incidently, the System Software Restore CD has the installer for OS9.2.2 on it, but it will only install to a volume which also has OSX...so you have to install both to get the OS9 which boots.

Also, you will be able to use the OS9.2.1 install CD without booting from it...just boot in OSX, start Classic, insert the OS9.2.1 CD and you can then install to your new HD while booted in OSX.

Cheers,
Matt
( Last edited by MacMatt; Sep 28, 2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Omission)

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by MacMatt
angelmb,
I have the same MDD Mac as you have....
It will not boot a volume with the retail OS9.2.1 install and upgrade to OS9.2.2 you tried...
It will only boot a volume with the same System Folder as that which came with your Mac...
If you have the original OS9.2.2 System Folder on the same volume with your OSX, copy it(replace the system folder you just installed) to your new volume and it should boot okay.

I'm not certain which files in the System Folder that actually need replacing...I thought it was the System file and maybe the Finder, but I know if you replace the whole System Folder it will work(boot).

I have three HD on my MD and have all set to Cable Select...that's recommended.

Incidently, the System Software Restore CD has the installer for OS9.2.2 on it, but it will only install to a volume which also has OSX...so you have to install both to get the OS9 which boots.

Also, you will be able to use the OS9.2.1 install CD without booting from it...just boot in OSX, start Classic, insert the OS9.2.1 CD and you can then install to your new HD while booted in OSX.

Cheers,
Matt
Thanks for the valious advice Matt, I just installed 10.3 and then 9.2.2 from the System Software Restore DVD disc. So far Mac OS 9.2.2 is runing full speed

Thanks again.

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2005, 12:01 PM

Don't know what valious means, but I think you're welcome.

Matt

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 09:02 PM

valious = various?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2005, 04:00 AM

Sorry, it was a typo, I had to write it with just one hand since I have a recently damaged shoulder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules