Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Matte screen petition

Matte screen petition
torp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 03:10 AM

This old petition for matte screen on the MacBook has become popular again with the disappearance of that option on the new MBP.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 08:46 AM

Apple would have to redesign the MBP (getting rid of the glass) to bring back the matte option. Not. Going. To. Happen.

torp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 08:58 AM

Hey, I dont expect this petition to change Steve's mind. The whole thing here is that Apple should learn to listen to their faithful customers.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Apple would have to redesign the MBP (getting rid of the glass) to bring back the matte option. Not. Going. To. Happen.
Why is the glass cover so important to the design of the machine? Why couldn't a non-glass, matte screen be substituted instead?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 01:23 PM

Glass is a more efficient optical path of light, therefore, the image appears brighter, with greater contrast which in turn gives the appearance of greater sharpness. A matte optical transmitting layer makes the image more diffuse, less contrasty, cuts back on the amount of light coming through.

Maybe I am the odd one out, but even as a visual pro, I am digging the glass screen more than the matte one.

PaperNotes
Oct 20, 2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
A matte optical transmitting layer makes the image more diffuse, less contrasty, cuts back on the amount of light coming through.
That's nonsense and doesn't apply when it comes to a professional quality screen used by graphic pros.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 01:56 PM

But is that the kind of screen that was already in the MacBook Pro? Honestly I do design work on my MacBook with a glossy screen and it looks great.

PaperNotes
Oct 20, 2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
But is that the kind of screen that was already in the MacBook Pro? Honestly I do design work on my MacBook with a glossy screen and it looks great.
No the MBP has always had a mediocre 6 bit screen with dithering to emulate 8 bit colour.

Glossy looks colourful but do you do work for print or consider that your images don't look the same on everybody's screen? Someone who works for print won't ever consider working on a glossy. Just read the pros on this forum and what they say.

If you created images on a glossy and then saw them on one of these screens you will know that the glossy tricked you. Your images don't have the level of colour or contrast that you thought they had.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10016

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
If you created images on a glossy and then saw them on one of these screens you will know that the glossy tricked you. Your images don't have the level of colour or contrast that you thought they had...
How is the glossy LCD different from the older CRT displays? Are they not both 'glossy'? Serious question.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 03:33 PM

Do ****ing Mac users EVER stop whining and bitching and complaining and moaning? I swear to God Mac users bitch about EVERYTHING. Is ANY Mac user EVER satisfied???

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 03:53 PM

huh? should we have no opinions, no needs that aren't met by apple?

i WISH i could get a macbook with a matte screen. i know this won't happen, but feel that a FORUM such as this is the ideal place to discuss.

for some (obviously not ALL) of apple's consumer base, glossy screens (and removing firewire!) are missteps, and we're here DISCUSSING it.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 04:04 PM

And it's doing such a great job. I hear Apple is coming out with a new matte screen Macbook with 14 firewire ports next week.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 04:07 PM

How many Dell laptops can you get with a matte screen? I just looked and didn't notice any. But then a gain, I didn't look all that hard. The first page I came across listed all glossy, with one LED option.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
And it's doing such a great job. I hear Apple is coming out with a new matte screen Macbook with 14 firewire ports next week.
"i know this won't happen, but feel that a FORUM such as this is the ideal place to discuss."

as i've said... what's the argument? no one is expecting apple to pull the macbooks, and fix them to 'our' requests.
but isn't this a FORUM, a place to discuss, among other things, our concerns with apple products?

anyway, not looking to battle. peace!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Just read the pros on this forum and what they say.
Well I am one, high end advertising, stock, fine art. I did three jobs on this new machine today, the new screen is outstanding, a lot easier to get rid of glossy reflections than diffuse ones.

I printed out images and they looked great. Perfect upgrade!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2008, 09:00 PM

In case you haven't heard, Apple probably doesn't even care.

PaperNotes
Oct 21, 2008, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
How is the glossy LCD different from the older CRT displays? Are they not both 'glossy'? Serious question.
CRT didn't add contrast or colour that wasn't there in the first place.

PaperNotes
Oct 21, 2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
Well I am one, high end advertising, stock, fine art. I did three jobs on this new machine today, the new screen is outstanding, a lot easier to get rid of glossy reflections than diffuse ones.

I printed out images and they looked great. Perfect upgrade!
Nah you're just protecting your investment by being a fanatic who wants everyone to join in on the cult action.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Jan 9, 2018 at 06:27 AM. )

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2008, 09:30 AM

I think Apple knows its customers better than many people here claim.

I, for one, love my new glossy screen. I never thought I would, but I do. Apple was correct about the brightness of the LED, and the sturdiness of glass.

A bold move by Apple, criticized initially, but which demonstrates the forward-looking character of the company to which many of us have been loyal for years.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 10:18 AM

Go away, Ted. Nobody wants to hear a voice of reason.

Forum Links
Forum Rules