Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > G5 Announcement and The Value of The G4

G5 Announcement and The Value of The G4
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2003, 09:14 AM

I'm not exactly sure if this goes in this forum or not, but I'm in the market to buy a G4 tower, and I am wondering how much the current prices are going to fall due to the announcement of the G4. I am thinking of a G4 800 for myself. I'm just using it for school work, but would like the ability to upgrade down the road. I even see a lot of people buying G4 400's and getting the Powerlogix 800 upgrade. Let me know what you think, and what you might have for sale.

cS

marumari
Jun 26, 2003, 09:15 AM

Prices have already fallen quite considerably. Check out the crazy low prices for the G4 PowerMac systems on Apple's site. They're pretty impressive!

drewdespair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 04:24 PM

The NEW G4s are hovering around $1400 dollars.. A steal for a powerfull Computer, no doubt. Sure, you could buy a 450 and upgrade it, but after all is said and done there, you're going to be running pretty close to a retail new G4. So unless you really have your heart set on hotrodding the PowerMac yourself, go for a New G4. Or Try to find one on ebay, they're going like hotcakes!!

Good luck!

Drew

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 10:11 PM

I see what you mean about cheap!!! I just built a dual 1.25Ghz G4 with 17" screen for about $2100... I just have to see how fast the G5's will be. Maybe the G4's will go lower!

Forum Links
Forum Rules