Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch problems

iPod Touch problems
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2008, 11:10 AM

My iMac doesn't 'see' my iPod Touch anymore. the iMac sees my wife's Nano without any problems.

I loaded it (the Nano) up with some more music and recharged it. I then disconnected it and connected my Touch. Nothing.

I've followed every bit of advice that I could find. Swapped USB ports, restarted the iMac, I have reset several times and now I've deleted everything that was on the Touch. Still no luck.

I have a feeling that this has to do with me connecting it to my work laptop (Windows XP) to recharge it. I didn't load any songs, pictures anything from my work laptop to the Touch.

So, I'm pretty lost. Disk Utility doesn't see it when connected even though I can charge it. No idea what I should do.

Anyone ?

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 23, 2008, 04:32 PM

i would suggest a force format
you will loose all data on the ipod touch

hold the top and middle (home) button down until shuts off. continue holding these buttons and finally the logo of a USB and Itunes will appear (roughly holding the two buttons for 30 seconds). then simply plug the ipod touch into your computer and upload the firmware
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 05:30 PM

I held down the two buttons, the iPod turned off, and then the Apple logo came up for a bit, then it switched off. I was holding the two buttons all this time. I reconnected and then turned the iPod on again - nothing. I then repeated it but turned the iPod on before reconnecting - nothing.

I've filled in a trouble ticket with Apple and they're going to send me a box to send it away in.

They'll even engrave it with what I have on it so as long as I get back a 32G ipod Touch with the engraving then I'll be happy.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 25, 2008, 10:44 AM

i think i explained it wrong, after it turns off and restarts let go of the top button but hold the home button.

i think the top just turns it off after it restarts

hope apple replace/fixes it
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:50 AM

ok mkerr64, I'll try again tonight.

I hope they fix it as well, it was a leaving gift from my old employer 32G iPod Touch, I nearly came to tears when they gave it to me.

Thanks for your advice.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 11:42 AM

UPS have taken her away.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 05:16 PM

hahah good to hear, im sure she will be fine.
you might have a new baby soon (cross fingers)

good website for information about the ipod touch:
iPod touch Fans forum
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:46 AM

cheers mkerr64.

I'm suffering the loss already - I actually have to communicate with the three other people in my office instead of listening to my music. Its a hard life sometimes.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 02:26 PM

Well Apple found nothing wrong with it and sent it back. I have the same problem as before.

Has anybody ever re-installed iTunes before to resolve a problem like this ?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2008, 04:40 PM

If it works fine on a different machine, run the Hardware Test on your Mac.

Defective RAM does weird voodoo sometimes.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2008, 06:00 PM

Have you tried rebooting your mac?

I thought that I had bricked my Touch when I accidentally tried to install the iPhone version of 1.1.3 firmware by mistake. I had to reboot my mac and then do the two button thing while the Touch was attached before I could get iTunes to recognize it.

BTW. Does anyone know if the 2.0 addon app pack will upgrade a Touch without the January addon pack? I ask this because I found out that the January update pack for 1.1.3 was pulled from iTMS.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2008, 06:04 PM

My Touch goes MIA every other week - I keep a copy of the latest version of iTunes on my drive - install it again and I'm good to.
I suppose if I was 3 times smarter I would spend the time troubleshooting this but ... hey it works.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 05:33 AM

De-installed and re-installed iTunes and the Touch now works. Bizarre.

For future readers, I did EVERYTHING in all Apple support docs that I could find. I presumed (dumb I know) that since my wife's iPod worked that iTunes was OK and didn't need a re-install.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2008, 12:52 PM

<>For future readers, I did EVERYTHING in all Apple support docs that I could find. I presumed (dumb I know) that since my wife's iPod worked that iTunes was OK and didn't need a re-install.

I believe the last step on the web page is to re-install itunes. Like yourself I assumed "no need". Wrong I was. Again.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 06:00 PM

hmmm odd..
R.I.P Steve Jobs

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
hmmm odd..
Yup. I still blame Windows. I hooked up the Touch to recharge it on my work XP laptop. After that it didn't appear in iTunes on the Mac. Good thing BGates has left, or I'd kick his arse.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 08:50 AM

Does the Windows laptop have iTunes installed?

pjc78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2008, 01:51 AM

From an Apple support article:
iPhone and iPod touch: How to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X

If an iPhone or iPod touch is not recognized in iTunes on a Mac, the Apple Mobile Device Service may need to be removed and reinstalled. This document is for Mac OS X.

1. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
2. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash
3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
4. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
5. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
7. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
8. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the admin password.
9. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
10. Download and install the current version of iTunes:
Apple - iPod + iTunes

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Does the Windows laptop have iTunes installed?
It did, but I think that I had un-installed it when I wanted to re-charge my Touch. I'm 100% sure that I never tried to synch any music from the XP laptop though (there isn't any music or films on the laptop so ...)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
It did, but I think that I had un-installed it when I wanted to re-charge my Touch. I'm 100% sure that I never tried to synch any music from the XP laptop though (there isn't any music or films on the laptop so ...)
If iTunes was installed and running when you connected your iPod to the computer, it's possible that the problem could have originated there. Even if you didn't try to sync, the iPod will still connect to iTunes. And, iTunes for Windows is a rather buggy piece of code compared to its Mac brother.

If iTunes wasn't installed, I don't think Apple offers any other way for the Touch to be ejected from Windows, even though it's obvious that it's being mounted to Windows (scripts run saying an Apple mobile device is being installed). Without iTunes, your only choice is to unplug without ejecting, and this runs the risk of corrupting the directories on removable drives.

Just pointing out that while it's possible the culprit was Windows, it's also possible it was Apple.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Jul 6, 2008 at 09:46 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules