Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook (Pros) are here!

New MacBook (Pros) are here! (Page 2)
ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
No Firewire on the new MacBooks means no Target Disk mode. That sucks!!
Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
I bet an OS update fixes that....
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Technically USB Target Disk Mode would require an update of the firmware, not the OS. </nitpick>

But due to USB's host-dependence I have my doubts it's as straightforward to pull off as FW TDM.
I can't find anything on the MacBook pages but it might use the MBA's wireless migration - http://www.apple.com/macbookair/wireless.html

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 02:52 PM

International stores are up.

Super Mario
Oct 14, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Super Mario, I'm surprised that that you are able to remove your head from the sand long enough to post here...
Don't be so fanboi-ish or I'll torture you with Pakistani soap operas.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:31 PM. )

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Oct 14, 2008, 02:59 PM

Oh so sexy!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2008, 03:24 PM

The us apple store is up.

I'm not sure what to think, the MBP, looks great but I'm not sure if I want to spend the $$$ for that power when my MBP is only a couple of years old.
~Mike

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 03:35 PM

Boring, disappointing, I suppose they didn't have much time to concentrate on the MacBook line what with hundreds of iPod revisions over the past couple of years, blue, pink, white, black, small, big, tiny, thin, colored, white, touch, not touch, chromatic.....Combined with 'amazing' products like Apple TV and Tiomecapsule we should be grateful Apple did anything at all in what we should now call it's 'fringe computing business'

Honestly, I'm bored. I was really hoping for something exceptional today but instead, for the first time ever (apart frm the Mac Mini announcement) there's no Mac I'm particularly interested in upgrading to. On top of that, what's happened to the 17"? No longer of interest to Apple? Anyway, maybe after a few hundred more new exciting iPods we can expect another MBP revision, perhaps more powerful than my calculator.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I can't find anything on the MacBook pages but it might use the MBA's wireless migration - http://www.apple.com/macbookair/wireless.html
Remember that every copy of Leopard that shipped after the MacBook Air (as well as any Leopard with updates installed) has Wireless Migration Assistant. It's in no way tied to new or special hardware. I used it when I gave my fiancé my old PowerBook. We migrated from my Mac Pro to the old PowerBook over Wi-Fi. Works fine.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kodachrome_Project View Post
Interesting, I was looking for the little rubber stoppers near the iSight and it now looks like they have gone with a full circumference o-ring like feature. While this is going to be nice for several reasons, it will make cleaning the screen a bit interesting as it might collect lint and catch the cloth...
The MacBook Air has a full-perimeter rubber gasket around the screen, too. It dampens the closing really nicely. Doesn't seem to be tacky rubber at all, I haven't seen any sign of it grabbing lint when cleaning them.

P
Oct 14, 2008, 03:45 PM

Nice and all, but this seems like a move upmarket similar to what Apple tried to do with the sunflower iMac the last time the world was heading for recession. That failed pretty spectacularly, resulting in the eMac as a backup plan.

No, not at this price. Like the looks, though.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 03:46 PM

On one hand I love this new MB design... super sleek, simplistic, real GPU...

But, although I do hate the inevitable whining every time a new product launches, there's one thing that really pisses me off - no firewire. Why should I have to go pro to get a connection that has been de facto standard for Mac high speed connections for ever?? That is a joke.

In every other way I would be INCREDIBLY happy with the MB, but with all the recording interfaces and hard drives I have that are FW, I'm not allowed to have one anymore (my current MB does an admirable job of running reasonably heavy sessions in Pro Tools).

Hopefully in future, as they did with the first (?) MBP refresh, they'll bump the Pro up to 2 FW connections and then give the MB just ONE as an act of good will
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by schuey100 View Post
Boring, disappointing, I suppose they didn't have much time to concentrate on the MacBook line what with hundreds of iPod revisions over the past couple of years, blue, pink, white, black, small, big, tiny, thin, colored, white, touch, not touch, chromatic.....Combined with 'amazing' products like Apple TV and Tiomecapsule we should be grateful Apple did anything at all in what we should now call it's 'fringe computing business'

Honestly, I'm bored. I was really hoping for something exceptional today but instead, for the first time ever (apart frm the Mac Mini announcement) there's no Mac I'm particularly interested in upgrading to. On top of that, what's happened to the 17"? No longer of interest to Apple? Anyway, maybe after a few hundred more new exciting iPods we can expect another MBP revision, perhaps more powerful than my calculator.
I think this upgrade is pretty decent. An innovative manufacturing process, multitouch trackpad, vastly improved graphics and a new display in the MacBook and two graphics systems to maximize battery life in the MBP? What "exceptional" thing do you want? Dancing robot maids?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2008, 03:57 PM

The design is... not as amazing as I expected. Partly the accuracy of leaks, but I'll have to see it in store for myself.

Keeping the 'old' white MB and 17" MBP seems like a really strange move - the only reason I can think of is as a safety net. It'll be very interesting to see sales numbers for the two different designs a few months down the track.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I think this upgrade is pretty decent. An innovative manufacturing process, multitouch trackpad, vastly improved graphics and a new display in the MacBook and two graphics systems to maximize battery life in the MBP? What "exceptional" thing do you want? Dancing robot maids?
I was wondering when someone would refute that ridiculous whine... Yes, it's still a computer. That's not what I'd call a failure on apple's part... It's a major refresh to be sure, and we're getting most of the perks that made the MBP a luxury experience now in the macbook range. FW is still my only major disappointment. And a little confused why we need a brand new display connector, since ADC was such a triumph...

But one other negative I just found is that the new 24" display, sexy as it may be, is still waaaayyy too expensive... I thought apple might have learned this by now?

freudling
Banned
Oct 14, 2008, 04:03 PM

These rigs look great, and I am sure will be a joy to use, but Apple needs to drop their damn prices.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
But, although I do hate the inevitable whining every time a new product launches, there's one thing that really pisses me off - no firewire. Why should I have to go pro to get a connection that has been de facto standard for Mac high speed connections for ever?? That is a joke.(
In all fairness, is it really that important any more?

In the old days, like 2001 say, we hooked up lots of stuff via FireWire: hard disks, CD burners, DV cameras, iSight, audio interfaces, etc.

These days, every single one of those things connects via USB -- or is built in.

You guys have to remember that we MacNN readers/posters are largely really advanced enthusiasts. The kind with a stack of FireWire hard drives hooked up to a Mac Pro or MBP. The average MacBook buyer uses it for going online, writing stuff in Office, sorting pictures in iPhoto, doing iTunes, and maybe playing a round of The Sims. The advanced users might do some video editing or audio production, too, or perhaps some graphic design. Despite my desperate pleas during their sales consultations, few of them ever buy even a single external hard drive for backup. They hook up a printer with USB (or network), and they'll plug in their digital camera and maybe a mouse. That's it. Most don't even know what FireWire is.

Though I am sad to see FireWire go (I like it on laptops for portable hard disks that will work reliably without a power brick), I (and you should) recognize that most users never even look at it.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:04 PM

I don't really have much interest in an 'innovative manufacturing process'. To me that tends to translate to "Don't buy one of these until the second or third revision". Indeed that's born out many times whenever Apple have been innovative. I can't recall how many Apple notebooks I've returned but it's certainly enough to put any organization's QC to shame. So I'd temper any delight in this new design with the knowledge that there's a good percentage chance the thing will have keys falling off, flaking, discoloration..the list goes on.

The multi touch trackpad is nice, taking away the button is also great, the glass is probably a marketing feature, more style than substance but overall, yes, not bad. Worth upgrading for? Nope. Would it sway anyone to buy this MBP over another? Nope.

Vastly improved graphics? Vastly improved from what? My 1985 Casio wristwatch had vastly improved graphics over the previous model but it's all relative. I'm no GC genius but I know enough that graphics were pretty poor in the first place so any improvement is just taking us to where we should be anyway.

New display? Sure, if you like it gloss, gloss or gloss. Steve's been taking notes from goold old Henry Ford hasn't he? At least it's not available only in black

And..oh yes, battery life. Sure, great, my MBP has a battery life of, what 4.5 hours according to Apple. Uh huh I'd definitely be interested to see what the real world use figures are on the battery life. Like you, I've heard it all before

So no, none of those things impress me all that much especially with reduced features and options and a price increase. I'm an Apple fan and have been for many many years but today was just a snooooooooz.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Educational pricing:

White 2.1 GHz MacBook with 2 GB RAM = CAD$1174
Video adapters are $19 each

Alu 2.0 GHz MacBook with 2 GB RAM = CAD$1349
(No Firewire, but has backlit keyboard, and is much lighter.)
Video adapters are $34 each

Refurbs cost way too much compared to this edu pricing.
Hmmm... Maybe not. The refurb 2.4 GHz with 2 GB RAM and SuperDrive is $1149.

And I already have the video adapters for the white MacBooks anyway. The real pricing for the AluMacBook would be $1417.

The combo drive 2.1 GHz model is only $899 though. An extra 2 GB RAM is $40. CAD$940 for a refurb. Hmmm... Not bad.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

one other personal preference - although I'm very much used to my MB keyboard now, the flat boards never had the same tactile feel of the amazing PB/MBP keyboard (used to have a 12" powerbook, favourite computer ever)... losing that better board in the Pro range is a bit of a bummer for me

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:10 PM

A dancing automaton maid would be nice!

The weird thing is, it's not as though CNC milling is really innovative in and of itself. It's been used in machine manufacturing in many industries for years. Aircraft parts, parts of factory machines, all kinds of molds and prototypes have been made just this way for quite some time. I just don't think it's ever been used for a mass-production product before (assuming we don't count the MacBook Air, aluminum iMac, and aluminum keyboards, all of which I suspect were test beds for the technology). I actually wouldn't be surprised if the machine shop shown in the video was really just a prototype shop, and that the actual assembly lines are bigger, more automated, and much faster.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
In all fairness, is it really that important any more?

In the old days, like 2001 say, we hooked up lots of stuff via FireWire: hard disks, CD burners, DV cameras, iSight, audio interfaces, etc.

These days, every single one of those things connects via USB -- or is built in.

You guys have to remember that we MacNN readers/posters are largely really advanced enthusiasts. The kind with a stack of FireWire hard drives hooked up to a Mac Pro or MBP. The average MacBook buyer uses it for going online, writing stuff in Office, sorting pictures in iPhoto, doing iTunes, and maybe playing a round of The Sims. The advanced users might do some video editing or audio production, too, or perhaps some graphic design. Despite my desperate pleas during their sales consultations, few of them ever buy even a single external hard drive for backup. They hook up a printer with USB (or network), and they'll plug in their digital camera and maybe a mouse. That's it. Most don't even know what FireWire is.

Though I am sad to see FireWire go (I like it on laptops for portable hard disks that will work reliably without a power brick), I (and you should) recognize that most users never even look at it.
I see your point tooki, and I'm sure most home users never touch their FW port.

I guess it's just for me and other 'power' users - FW is essential for the reliable streaming performance I get when recording. I know the logical answer to that is "well, professional recording calls for a Pro laptop", but up until now i just didn't need one. The processor and everything else in my MB is close enough to the MBP to make very little difference, and given the price difference and the portability of the MB the choice was a no brainer.

This change, for me personally, means I'll be paying many many hundreds more dollars for 1.7 more inches of screen space and a Firewire port next time I buy a computer I'm done complaining now!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:16 PM

I don't really have much interest in an 'innovative manufacturing process'. To me that tends to translate to "Don't buy one of these until the second or third revision".
[...]
and options and a price increase. I'm an Apple fan and have been for many many years but today was just a snooooooooz.
Oh. My. God. Take a chill pill!

Have you ever held a MacBook Air? It was the test bed of this "innovative manufacturing process" and it's been fantastic. They don't flex or wiggle or have jiggle room like most laptops. They feel incredibly solid.

As for graphics performance: again, for the average MacBook user, the Intel Integrated graphics were perfectly adequate for everything they did -- except gaming. And the Intel Integrated really isn't THAT bad. Is it bad compared to "real" graphics cards? Sure, terrible. But for the Sims (seemingly the most popular game requested by MacBook buyers, in my experience), it's fine. Having the new nVidia is just gravy that rounds out a great package.

Glass over a screen is great. It's easy to clean, and it protects the delicate thin layers of glass in the LCD panel itself.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 04:18 PM

I think there are a lot of odd choices in this release, but I must say I like the looks and performance of the new rigs.
I just need to decide if I am going to go high end macbook or go pro with all the bells and whistles.
My biggest concern is the whole 5400/7200 rpm deal.
I have an iMac at home and need to decide if it is worth it so save the money or not
decisions, decisions...
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie

The MBs seem to be a very decent upgrade. Great looks. Lots of nice new things, but same price. And lighter! I'll probably buy a 2.4 GHz model with a big HDD to replace the black CD MB I have in my bedroom.

The MBPs are a different issue. Although the CPU and GPU upgrade are pretty much as good as you can get right now, the rest of the package to me just doesn't offer enough incentive to replace my 2.4 GHz MBP. I like the looks and I'm fine with glossy, but since the size, weight, battery life, and RAM ceiling are pretty much unchanged, I guess I'll hold out another generation. I'm cool with that. My current 2.4 GHz MBP is very solid and in impecable condition. I'll gladly hold on to it for another half year.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User

Hmm... I feel kind of torn with the new 'Books...

I think they look amazing, and I am sure the screens are just gorgeous with the glass pane on them. I've never had a problem with glossy unless I was sitting outside in the sun or in front of a really bright light.

Power-wise the MacBook is probably all I need. graphic wise I only do photo editing and web design.

I dunno how I feel about only having 2 USB ports. I do have a powered USB hub, but it's still kind of stupid, we lose a FW400, but it doesn't get replaced with anything...

I like that the MB has a backlit keyboard though. It's an option I really wanted too.

I think I might just bite the bullet and order the upper model MacBook. I rarely used firewire actually. That model will be enough for what I do. It's mainly for media entertainment. Movies, TV shows, music, photo editing, web design...

However, if I spend the extra $400, I get a 15.4", dedicated GPU, express card slot, FW800...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:19 PM

I guess it's just for me and other 'power' users - FW is essential for the reliable streaming performance I get when recording. I know the logical answer to that is "well, professional recording calls for a Pro laptop", but up until now i just didn't need one. The processor and everything else in my MB is close enough to the MBP to make very little difference, and given the price difference and the portability of the MB the choice was a no brainer.
Understood, and the lack of FireWire would flat-out exclude the new MacBook from being my only or primary Mac, too! But alas, we're not the average MacBook buyer.

And at least on Intel Macs, USB2 performance seems to be significantly better than it ever was on PPC Macs, in mu experience.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The only good thing about the new MBP is the case which will save the world from Al Gore's imaginary vision of the future.
You only have two modes.

Off and Suck.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:21 PM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the machine shop shown in the video was really just a prototype shop, and that the actual assembly lines are bigger, more automated, and much faster.
Well there is no doubt about that.

If work was carried out on the parts by hand and the process involved so many manual steps as we saw in the video, Apple would be getting about 100 cases a day and they'd each cost north of $100.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

I think the inclusion of a real GPU and backlit keyboard in the MB are the biggest surprises for me - I really thought apple's inclusion of them in the Pro range only was a very strategic segregation, and now wonder whether a significant number of MBP sales will be cannibalized by the MB - time will tell.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
think they look amazing, and I am sure the screens are just gorgeous with the glass pane on them. I've never had a problem with glossy unless I was sitting outside in the sun or in front of a really bright light.
An antiglare (matte) screen is even worse in those conditions, creating a bright haze over the whole screen that you can't fix by angling away.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:25 PM

Oh. My. God. Take a chill pill!

Have you ever held a MacBook Air? It was the test bed of this "innovative manufacturing process" and it's been fantastic. They don't flex or wiggle or have jiggle room like most laptops. They feel incredibly solid.

As for graphics performance: again, for the average MacBook user, the Intel Integrated graphics were perfectly adequate for everything they did -- except gaming. And the Intel Integrated really isn't THAT bad. Is it bad compared to "real" graphics cards? Sure, terrible. But for the Sims (seemingly the most popular game requested by MacBook buyers, in my experience), it's fine. Having the new nVidia is just gravy that rounds out a great package.

Glass over a screen is great. It's easy to clean, and it protects the delicate thin layers of glass in the LCD panel itself.
You cannot deny that every initial rev MB or PB has had some major issues. I think it's fair to point that out when people get overly excited about a new color case, funky materials or laser etched keys etc etc etc. What does the new manufacturing process give us? Let's be honest, it's nice but not something that should have us all excited and drooling over our keys.

If the IIG were perfectly adequate for most users then so was the old design and the non glass trackpad and the non shiny sparkly screens.

Yes, I admit the new design is cool, I like the glass trackpad, it's all very funky but I'm still totally underwhelmed with Apple. I think I was more excited about the Cube to be honest. Now there was a cool design! Maybe I'm getting old and want some substance over style for once and we certainly didn't get that today. And I'd still love to know what's happened to the 17".

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If work was carried out on the parts by hand and the process involved so many manual steps as we saw in the video, Apple would be getting about 100 cases a day and they'd each cost north of $100.
As out-of-warranty parts, the cases for the "old" MacBook Pro and MacBook already cost more than $100! That said, I don't know how big the difference in labor (human or automated) is between the two. Who knows, maybe it's comparable.

And one thing to keep in mind: since each case is now essentially made from scratch, not mass-produced per se (like, not pressed from a hugely expensive mold), it should be trivial for Apple to make slight -- or significant -- changes to the case with time.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:30 PM

As out-of-warranty parts, the cases for the "old" MacBook Pro and MacBook already cost more than $100!
But certainly not because it costs that much to manufacture the shell.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 04:32 PM

Personally, I think the new MacBook*s look pretty good aside from the glossy screens — all my Firewire equipment is dual-interface — but the best part about the new notebooks is that the old ones are now dirt cheap. Currently planning to order a $1500 MBP with Firewire, a matte screen and 512 MB VRAM tonight.
Chuck
___

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 04:34 PM

You cannot deny that every initial rev MB or PB has had some major issues.
Yes, I admit the new design is cool, I like the glass trackpad, it's all very funky but I'm still totally underwhelmed with Apple. I think I was more excited about the Cube to be honest. Now there was a cool design! Maybe I'm getting old and want some substance over style for once and we certainly didn't get that today. And I'd still love to know what's happened to the 17".
I'd call a super-rigid case to be supremely substantial. Rigidity is one of the primary factors in laptop motherboard failure (flexing causes microfractures in boards), and this should be incredibly stiff, improving reliability. It also looks like the overall board count is down. That's also good for reliability.

And yes, I do deny that "every" initial release has had major issues. Have too many new models had problems? Without question. (My 15" aluminum PowerBook had some.) But it's easy to forget the ones that went off without a hitch, like the 12 and 17" PowerBooks, and the MacBook Pro, which had no problems despite being the first Intel Mac ever.

On the desktop, there's also been a singular lack of pervasive problems with new models.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2008, 04:37 PM

I don't really have much interest in an 'innovative manufacturing process'. To me that tends to translate to "Don't buy one of these until the second or third revision". Indeed that's born out many times whenever Apple have been innovative. I can't recall how many Apple notebooks I've returned but it's certainly enough to put any organization's QC to shame. So I'd temper any delight in this new design with the knowledge that there's a good percentage chance the thing will have keys falling off, flaking, discoloration..the list goes on.

The multi touch trackpad is nice, taking away the button is also great, the glass is probably a marketing feature, more style than substance but overall, yes, not bad. Worth upgrading for? Nope. Would it sway anyone to buy this MBP over another? Nope.

Vastly improved graphics? Vastly improved from what? My 1985 Casio wristwatch had vastly improved graphics over the previous model but it's all relative. I'm no GC genius but I know enough that graphics were pretty poor in the first place so any improvement is just taking us to where we should be anyway.
Again, what did you want? What should have happened? It sounds like you're upset when Apple is very innovative and you're upset when Apple just gives significant bumps. I think maybe you were setting yourself up to be disappointed.
Chuck
___

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 04:38 PM

I urge folks to remember the value of an upgrade path is entirely up to the individual, not everyone is coming from a 2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro.

I am trying to have my portables last 2-3 years and in coming from a first generation MacBook Pro, I am right in there. So for me, coming from a 2.0 GHZ MacBook Pro to this is a great upgrade.

I just wish I could order a spare battery for it, there is not even a photo of it in action ( swap ) on the site...seems a bit strange......

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 04:38 PM

The thing that makes it annoying is that the limitations are completely artificial, caused by the fact that Apple won't allow any expansion on their machines, despite the fact that a card slot is a standard feature on every non-Apple machine apart from the very smallest subnotebooks. With PC laptops you can do whatever you want - with Mac laptops you have to hope that Apple anticipated what you were going to do with it. Need FireWire support but your $600 Dell laptop doesn't have it? No problem, just add an ExpressCard. Need FireWire support but your $1600 MacBook doesn't have it? You're screwed. And the whole reason is because OS X is artificially limited to Apple's crippled hardware when there's no real reason it couldn't run just fine on something else.

Good God, shouldn't a $1600 machine be at least as useful as a $600 one?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

freudling
Banned
Oct 14, 2008, 04:46 PM

CharlesS:

I agree. Let me say it again: Apple needs to drop their damn prices.

$1799 for MacBook Pro entry
$899 Latest AlMacBook (drop the white Apple!) and put the damn backlight keyboard on everything!

These above prices are just affordable for what you get. Anything more is over the top, especially in this sucky economy.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2008, 04:47 PM

I'd call a super-rigid case to be supremely substantial. Rigidity is one of the primary factors in laptop motherboard failure (flexing causes microfractures in boards), and this should be incredibly stiff, improving reliability. It also looks like the overall board count is down. That's also good for reliability.

And yes, I do deny that "every" initial release has had major issues. Have too many new models had problems? Without question. (My 15" aluminum PowerBook had some.) But it's easy to forget the ones that went off without a hitch, like the 12 and 17" PowerBooks, and the MacBook Pro, which had no problems despite being the first Intel Mac ever.

On the desktop, there's also been a singular lack of pervasive problems with new models.
I'll have to add one of these again

I have nine, yes, count 'em, nine receipts for the MBP 17" Rev A. That's how many I had to buy before I got one that worked. It still wasn't right but I had spent enough time in the store and was willing to put up with some of the issues. My company buys pretty much (or did in the past) every model of Mac released. All the first Revs. I don't recall one release that didn't have a problem. Perhaps there was one, but we both know Apple's QC began sucking a long time ago. But we're getting off track I don't think there's any argument that Apple has gone so mainstream that QC has suffered. Inevitable I suppose. In any case....

The super rigid case. Excellent. We had a 'very' rigid case a few years back, now it's 'super' rigid Motherboard failures are the least of my worries, I've never had one, not many people do and I'm fully Apple cared up with other insurance to boot if it does happen. I hope it happens to mine now actually, would be great and a good excuse to upgrade to test these magnificent new machines. Maybe they'll be extremely rigid rather than 'super' rigid but as long as they're not frigid what do I care

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 04:49 PM

So how will the NEW 2.4 ghz macbook compare to the PREVIOUS gen 2.4ghz macbook pro? the same, just a smaller screen?

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 04:49 PM

Finally SATA and descent GPU on the MacBook Air, great

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2008, 04:59 PM

But it's easy to forget the ones that went off without a hitch, like the 12 and 17" PowerBooks, and the MacBook Pro, which had no problems despite being the first Intel Mac ever.
Was there a case redesign for the first MacBook Pros? I thought it was basically a PowerBook G4 with an intel motherboard.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 05:00 PM

On one hand I love this new MB design... super sleek, simplistic, real GPU...

But, although I do hate the inevitable whining every time a new product launches, there's one thing that really pisses me off - no firewire. Why should I have to go pro to get a connection that has been de facto standard for Mac high speed connections for ever?? That is a joke.

In every other way I would be INCREDIBLY happy with the MB, but with all the recording interfaces and hard drives I have that are FW, I'm not allowed to have one anymore (my current MB does an admirable job of running reasonably heavy sessions in Pro Tools).

Hopefully in future, as they did with the first (?) MBP refresh, they'll bump the Pro up to 2 FW connections and then give the MB just ONE as an act of good will
I'm with you, but you know as well as I do that it just ain't gonna happen.

OTOH, if the new cases make the 15" Pro as sturdy as the MacBook Air, I won't feel to bad about having to switch back to a 15" machine (I hated the wobbly, fragile 15" PowerBook I had and never took it along anywhere unless I had to).

Apple will just have to wait for my purchase a year longer until I can cough up the extra money.

mahoney2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 05:00 PM

I had the credit card out and was ready to buy one. I just can't do it. I would rather have seen an upgraded plastic MacBook than what they put out. Wow, its metal, great, I really don't care. I would rather have seen the old one with better specs and firewire. The entry level MacBook is now $1299, I don't consider the white $999 one a real option. I may end up buying the $1099 refurb black 2.4ghz one and putting off a real upgrade for a few more years.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Was there a case redesign for the first MacBook Pros? I thought it was basically a PowerBook G4 with an intel motherboard.
The MBP case is about 1/4" thinner, otherwise sharing basically the same overall design. Between that and a brand-new system architecture, I call that a total v1.0 product.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 14, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by tomzo22 View Post
So how will the NEW 2.4 ghz macbook compare to the PREVIOUS gen 2.4ghz macbook pro? the same, just a smaller screen?
The motherboard is 266MHz faster (1066MHz instead of 800), which alone should show a nice improvement. And the much more powerful graphics will help any app that even touches the GPU.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2008, 05:15 PM

But it's easy to forget the ones that went off without a hitch, like the 12 and 17" PowerBooks, and the MacBook Pro, which had no problems despite being the first Intel Mac ever.
Woah there, Nellie!

I HAD a 12" PowerBook, 1st series, ordered right after the keynote.

It SUCKED. EVERYTHING in there had to be replaced - except for the screen. MLB, optical drive, drive cable, battery, PMU board. (But how I loved the form factor!) I had to fight AppleCare to get them to replace it (which they did, *most* graciously).

The 15" MBPs were prone to overheating and nasty high-pitched noise from near the graphics card.

Just because Apple decides that issues are "within spec" doesn't mean that machines don't have serious issues.

tomzo22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 05:16 PM

The motherboard is 266MHz faster (1066MHz instead of 800), which alone should show a nice improvement. And the much more powerful graphics will help any app that even touches the GPU.

Cheers Tooki. Guess it means we're actually getting rather alot of bang for our buck!

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Woah there, Nellie!

I HAD a 12" PowerBook, 1st series, ordered right after the keynote.

It SUCKED. EVERYTHING in there had to be replaced - except for the screen. MLB, optical drive, drive cable, battery, PMU board. (But how I loved the form factor!) I had to fight AppleCare to get them to replace it (which they did, *most* graciously).

The 15" MBPs were prone to overheating and nasty high-pitched noise from near the graphics card.

Just because Apple decides that issues are "within spec" doesn't mean that machines don't have serious issues.

I still have a first-gen 12-inch PB. I still use it, each and every day. The only thing that went wrong with it was the screen, and that was at 13 1/2 months of owning it. (Had applecare, so it was fixed for free.) Oh, and the original hard drive died about 18 months ago (which is my first and only Apple drive to fail on me, in 17 years of Mac ownership).

I'm a little conflicted about the FW400 loss, but am somewhat comforted by Tooki's pointing out that most peripherals come with USB and firewire. I have a bunch of FW drives, etc. On the other hand, my iMac is my primary machine, so I'm OK, I guess, with that.

I already ordered the new MB. I've been waiting for new machines and I need one (see: original 12-in PB). I am beginning to wonder if I'd get more bang for the book with an older model refurb, however.

On the other hand, I also got a printer for my daughter for almost free.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
No Firewire on the MacBook. Dammit!
No Firewire, no deal, no discussion.
Let that be the motto here. After all there is still Capertalsimsim (sp?) in America, so I get my vote be refusing Apple my money. Let's see what happens.

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules