Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CD-RW Bottleneck?

CD-RW Bottleneck?
bojangles
Senior User
May 11, 2003, 05:07 PM

I just picked up a new 48x24x48x CD burner for my beige G3 (74� after rebate! ), and surprisingly enough, it works beautifully with Toast Titanium. However, given the age of my computer, I can only consistently sustain burn speeds of up to 32x.

So here's the question: I've been planning to upgrade my computer with a 1-GHz G4 processor, anyway, and I'm wondering if that will rectify the situation. In other words, where's the bottleneck here? It's obviously not with the burner; it's rated for up to 48x. So do you think it's the 266-MHz processor or the 66-MHz bus that's causing me grief, here?

(By the way - please, no recommendations that I just give up and buy a new computer. The money's just not there.)

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2003, 06:07 PM

Check your blank media, what speed are the CD-R's you are using rated to? That might be where the bottleneck is occuring.

Titanium Toast scans the media you are using and gives what it thinks your burn speed should be for the media in your drive.

If your CD's are rated to 48X you might have a bad batch. Go out and get a high quality CD rated for 48X and burn one to see if this is the case.

Your 66Mhz bus us more than enough to handle your drive's speed.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
May 11, 2003, 07:41 PM

it might be the connection between the hard drive and the cd burner that is causing the problems.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 11, 2003, 09:12 PM

Dear god who would burn anything important at that speed?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2003, 10:14 AM

I�m basing these numbers on Toast�s Tests. When I test the throughput, the highest I can set the speed at is 32x, without underrun errors. (I haven�t even tried burning at more than 8x, yet. All of my media was purchased for my old Yamaha 4x4x16 burner.)

btw- I�ve also noticed that 9.2.2 poops out before I even hit 24x, but Jag has no problem at all with 32x. I�ve also noticed that file duplication (HD to HD) is much faster in Jag. So whatever exactly is going on, Jag does a better job than 9 ever could.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 12, 2003, 07:19 PM

OS X is indeed much better at I/O.

But I think your 32x bottleneck is a limitation of total system performance, I doubt that anything you can do for less $ than buying a newer system isn't going to bring you up to 48x speed. That said, the actual time savings between 32 and 48x are minimal, so I wouldn't bother.

(FWIW, my blue and white G3/350 can just barely manage my 40x burner, and more frequently, I burn at 24x.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules