Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.8 Problems tally

View Poll Results: Which Macs are having problems with the 10.2.8 update?
Poll Options:
PowerMac: Yosemite-MDD 15 votes (7.04%)
iMac: 15in-17in 3 votes (1.41%)
Powerbook: Pismo-TiBook 22 votes (10.33%)
Powerbook: AlBook12-AlBook17 21 votes (9.86%)
iBook: Clamshell-IceBook 10 votes (4.69%)
No problems 142 votes (66.67%)
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll
10.2.8 Problems tally
Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 02:16 PM

This poll exists to take a tally of problems with the 10.2.8. If you've got any problem, be it with your ethernet port, keyboard backlight or battery life answer the poll. Hopefully a quick glance to it will let people figure out if they ought to install the update or wait until there's fixes for the various problems.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
This poll exists to take a tally of problems with the 10.2.8. If you've got any problem, be it with your ethernet port, keyboard backlight or battery life answer the poll. Hopefully a quick glance to it will let people figure out if they ought to install the update or wait until there's fixes for the various problems.
sooper good idea. thanks for it.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:02 PM

No problems on this G4 500 or my Pismo (900 mhz upgrade) with 10.2.8.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Terri
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 06:06 PM

No problems on my 17" PowerBook.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 06:12 PM

10.2.8 has been running smooth for 24 hours now on my 600 MHz iBook (2001 model).
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Grey Cell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 06:46 PM

Dual 500Mhz G4 --> ethernet problems.

Back on 10.2.6 now (good hing I have a second Mac OSX "backup" partition). Haven't tried installing 10.2.8 again and doing the fix; I don't need it that badly. I'm just going to wait a little and see how things work out...

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 06:55 PM

See? This is the reason I wait a week before installing system Updates. I'll admit that it isn't always a choice. 40mb over dialup? A few hours. With constant disconnection?

Graymalkin  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 07:06 PM

I haven't installed the update yet because my policy is "Sit and Wait" with updates. Apple even removed the update from their downloads site to fix the problems 10.2.8 caused. If you've run into problems with the update and fixed the problem by some means please post a link to the fix or describe what you did in a fashion others can repeat. Doing that will help people stuck until Apple releases a fix.

Carmissimo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Grey Cell:
Dual 500Mhz G4 --> ethernet problems.

Back on 10.2.6 now (good hing I have a second Mac OSX "backup" partition). Haven't tried installing 10.2.8 again and doing the fix; I don't need it that badly. I'm just going to wait a little and see how things work out...
My dual 500 Mhz G4 also lost Internet access.
It's disappointing that Apple seems to regard a three-year-old computer costing thousands of dollars as not worth testing when an OS update is prepared.
They release iDVD and make sure that my three-year-old computer can't use it with their blessing.
Does that mean that you have to replace your computer every two years in order for Apple to regard you as a customer worth paying attention to?
If the other major platform wasn't such a dog, I'm mad enough that I would switch in light of the way I feel owners of "older" Macs like myself are being all but ignored.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 08:28 PM

No problems in my Ghz TiBook.

michelin
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 10:20 PM

Palm software does not want to hot sync after update to 10.2.8

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:15 PM

Does anyone else notice that 10.2.8 forgets the scrolling speed setting (Keyboard and Mouse => Mouse)? The slider keeps showing up in the center.

MacAlly iOpti Jr Mouse (USB) and iBook 600 (Late 01)

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 11:21 PM

I had some issue where the drive was too full to save things, even though I had 10 gb left. Also all of my login items were deleted, so perhaps your hotsync monitor for the palm desktop isn't running.

I ran fsck and nothing was wrong.

Rebooted and all of my things are back to normal again (after resetting some of the system preferences).

Wierd stuff.

Volanges
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 12:08 AM

ditto on the Palm sync (specifically when it was hitting my Entourage conduit manager)

I re-loaded (and in the process updated, as I never did it last release) Palm/Entourage conduit (Microsoft Handheld Sync for Entourage X 10.1.4) and it is working now.
( Last edited by Volanges; Sep 24, 2003 at 12:27 AM. )

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 03:17 AM

My iBook is showing the battery problem, draining very fast. I'm re-calibrating the battery and I'll post results.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

gfourdoor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 03:33 AM

As far as I can tell, the updater only wiped out some custom settings I was using on my G4 dual 1GHz MDD.

I use SafarIcon to customize Safari and I had to run it again to get my settings back.

I use TransparentDock and the Dock too was back to default settngs.

After reading that people had some problems trying to use TD v.2, I decided to wait. The TD update to v2.1 was out before the end of the day! Thanks, Kevin!

Donlaub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 06:54 AM

I had an aggravatingly intermittant network problem on my 533 DP after 10.2.8 update. Repairing permisions with Disk Utility and a restart appears to have cured it, however.
G4 533 MHz DP 1 GB
iBook 600 MHz 256 MB Airport Card
iPod 5 MB

Scooterboy
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 10:06 PM

After draining the battery fully and fully recharging back to 100% the my battery lasted about 5 minutes.
I've since reset the nvram and am once again fully charging, hoping to recalibrate. This time, the estimated recharging time looks more accurate- 1:16 to full charge at 27%, as opposed to "fully charging" in 20 minutes.

I'll post results later.

I'm just glad I've not experienced some of the problems others have stated.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 10:58 PM

It effected laptops. That was obvious.

graphics84
Senior User
Sep 24, 2003, 11:02 PM

only real problem on my Ti 1 gig is my Wacom isn't reconized after waking from sleep...

I have to restart and I don't usally at all...

I've restarted more in the last 2 days than in the last 2 weeks!

camion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 11:43 PM

Before the updates were taken down by Apple I had updated 2 eMacs, my new 15" Al Powerbook, and a 733MHz G4 Tower to 10.2.8. All of these were previously running OS X 10.2.6. I also cloned the one of the eMac systems to a firewire hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Thus far I haven't noticed any problems. I will keep checking.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 12:16 AM

I am running a DP450 and I haven't experienced any problems related to 10.2.8.

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
I am running a DP450 and I haven't experienced any problems related to 10.2.8.
Here my Dual 450DP lost ethernet (10baseT) after the reboot after auto network update.

The poll is a bit biased if some people who have just one and only one network access method wiped out.

It is like saying raise your right hand if you have had your arms chopped off in the last hour. Now raise your left if you haven't. Ah yes we don't have a mad axeman around here then, relax.
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 06:26 AM

I voted for 'no problems' but during the day I find my iBook's battery life has gone tits up.

I feel so ... inadequate.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 06:37 AM

I put a vote in for my Pismo. The battery life has skydived down to about 30mins, not funny.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 08:20 AM

No problems here on my beloved 667MHz TiBook.
weird wabbit

jimcpherson
Sep 25, 2003, 10:15 AM

No problems on eMac. But my TiBook's battery life took a hit, going from 3hrs + on a full charge to 1Hr30min.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2003, 10:41 AM

battery on my pismo (about 1 hr), dock vanished (fixed with transparent dock update for 10.2.8, at versiontracker).

worth mentioning:
speedier finder functions (minimize to dock, emptying trash).

so good & bad.

where's the fix apple??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 10:44 AM

Something else I've experienced since updating is that the Finder frequently quits when I open and scroll through a folder of files. I've fixed permissions and run fsck -y, but it hasn't helped.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 11:27 AM

I just wonder what they're going to fix in this update. Seems like they've only mentioned the ethernet problems, but the battery issue is just as worrisome; my PB is useless as a laptop now. It's either a re-install of X, with all the updates, and programs, or holding out for the chance it might get repaired.

ed phelan
Sep 25, 2003, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gavin:
[B]I voted for 'no problems' but during the day I find my iBook's battery life has gone tits up.

I'm with Gavin and decry the prone position assumed by my 600iBook.

iYeat
Sep 25, 2003, 03:16 PM

iBook Graphite 366 - no problems
Lime iMac 266 - no problems
Beige g3/233 - no problems

... Guess I was lucky
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

matthewz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 03:40 PM

hello,

Since install, brand new CD ejected as unrecognizable by OS. Comes up just fine on my older iMac, on 10.2.6.

Enhanced CD works just fine on 10.2.6, but 10.2.8 does not recognize the audio portion. Mounts only the enhanced content window. does not show any tracks.

ibook/14/800

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 04:00 PM

TiBook battery screwed. Went from just under three hours to just over one. After several depelete-recharge sessions it is still only lasting about 1:20 IN REAL USAGE TIME. I have been watching the level in X-Charge and it is definitely screwed up now-- it drops suddenly from 40 or 50% to about 8% and throws the "reserve battery power" warning.

Apple better fix this, or give me a new battery.

ShoeDg1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 04:11 PM

The only problem I've had is battery loss. I went from 4:30 to approx. 2:20 on a full charge. Luckily, I only take it out for an hour and fifteen minutes at a time for class.

I'm not too smart on "recaliberating" batteries, so in my situation does anyone think it best to just wait on a solution from Apple, or try and recaliberate the battery? Thanks.
iBook 900/40/384/Combo/12.1 (Damaged and inoperable)

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2003, 04:53 PM

I got a Dual 450 with 576MB of RAM and ever since installing 10.2.8 my sound "tears." Doesn't matter if the sound is coming from iTunes, QuickTime, or VLC player but every so often (usually under a decent amount of CPU load) it stutters and then tears when it tries to catch up.

Its insanely annoying.

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 07:08 PM

Battery life. I've let the battery run down twice now and zero effect. This problem really messes up the way I use my tibook. I mean, barely and hour and half is not acceptable in the laptop world. Apple fix this or else I'm going to stop singing your praises!

Calli46
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 08:00 PM

Only problem with 10.2.8 on my G4 500DP was the ethernet connection loss. I tried the AppleGMacEthernet.kext (is it the true name of this beast?) switch and everything seems like working as it did in 10.2.6.

Word, Excel, Safari, the HP Laserjet 1200 printer and many other applications run fine!

But I am eagerly waiting a 10.2.8.1 (?) from Apple...
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Terri
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 08:40 PM

I thought that I was ok, but then I started getting kernel panics and freezes after a few days where I could move the mouse but couldn't click on anything or force quit. It seemed to be getting worse by the hour. Ran DiskWarrior, fixed permission, booted into open firmware and reset-nuram and then reset-all, but nothing helped. Then when I saw that my print dialogs were messed up I decided to use CCC to restore from my copy of 10.2.6 that I had made before the update. All has been fine since, in fact for some strange reason my 17" Powerbook seems much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules